An Algorithm for Upholstery cleaning
Here is the technique which I use, and it really works
1) Mix 1/4 cup liquid dish detergent or laundry detergent with 1 cup warm water.
2) With a hand mixer, whip until dry suds form
3) Test upholstery in an unnoticeable area by applying dry suds with a cloth or soft brush and light scrubbing.
4) Wait until it Dry
5) If the area looks the same but cleaner, the entire piece of upholstery may be cleaned in this manner.
6) Shampoo only a small area at a time and use a spatula or rubber scraper to lift off dirty suds.
7) Repeat if necessary, then wipe area with a clean cloth dipped in clear water and wrung nearly dry.
8) Dry completely.