Am I Ruining my Marriage??? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Am I Ruining my Marriage???

Hi everyone, I have a relatively new cleaning business that is really taking off. I am looking for help and that's been a real challenge. Here is my (our) issue - my husband commutes over 200 miles a day! It's almost 4 hours time. And think of the gas cost....yikes! But we have a nice affordable house in a small town where my kids are in wonderful school districts that we just can't change (special needs). He can't find work around here because all his education and experience is in TV - he works on the local news program here now and there are no TV stations any closer. We want him to quit and help out with my cleaning business and do free lance work in journalism and photography. SO...my question is...does anyone out there have any experience with having a spouse work with you in the cleaning biz? I gotta hand it to my hubby, to be willing to go from working on the evening news to cleaning toilets but he would be so good! Almost like a clone of me. We have a wonderful relationship and I want to keep it that way. I have heard of husband/wife cleaning companies and was wondering about anyone elses experiences, good, bad or ugly! Thanks!
-Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
That's a major transition to say the least. I know of quite a few business owners who are husband and wife teams and do very well for themselves. However, you have to decide what is right for you. How does HE feel about it?

I asked my husband about "helping" and he flat-out refuses. Why? He is not patient enough for the work and can identify the reasons why he is not a good candidate. I respect his answer, though I know it would be "good" for him to be involved more. BUT I know he knows his own limitations and what will make him happy, so the issue is now a non-issue.

Keeping in mind, my husband is now fully retired but he has limitations on his ability to work in a structured environment. He has a traumatic brain injury sustained from a gunshot wound to his head in Iraq. He's capable of cleaning house but doesn't LIKE it. So, he's not going to do it and I can't blame him. He helps in other ways to still be involved.

In summary, ask your husband his thoughts on the following:

How would he feel with such a dramatic change?
Will he mourn the loss of his previous job?
Does he have the "mojo" to do this long term?

I am sure there are other questions to address, but these are key points. Any hesitation on any of the above and I recommend keeping things the way they are.

Hope that helps!

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #3 of Old 04-27-2008, 02:10 PM

I have never worked with my husband in the business, however I have worked with all other imaginable relatives and I can say that as long as you have clear and defined rules of operation that it can be done. Just remember that at work it is strictly work and that issues from home and family cannot seep into the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-25-2008, 03:06 PM

It can be done depending on the dynamics of the relationship. You really have to be able to define the personal from the business (both parties have to be able to do this). I have a friend that owns a cleaning service in Maryland, and she and her hubby work together really well. In fact, he goes out with the cleaners to clean, while she stays in the office.

When I first started my business, my husband was laid off so helped out a lot. It was great (but I was the only one who thought it was). He didn't like answering to me. I don't know why he felt that he was because the business is in both our names. Then when I would ask him to do something he started saying stuff like, "Okay, Boss." So I know then he wasn't loving it. LOL!

My dream was that he would do all the commerical accounts and I would take on the residentials. I mean we were making a good income back then with the cleaning so I really thought that he would want to continue. He could not wait until he found another job. Go figure. It's still my dream that we do this together, but it's far from his. LOL!
post #5 of Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM

Michelle,
I have to be honest with you here, it is not an easy thing to accomplish! I work with my husband and have since Jan. 2000. It was a struggle at first because like most men (no offense men) they do not like to take instruction from their wife. We argued alot at first but we road it out and in the end it has been a great experience. We mesh very well together. He is very quite and I am out going, so while we clean he does the bathrooms and I usually dust. He then does the vacumming and I do the kitchen and then we work together on the floors that are not carpeted. This way I can be the one doing the conversating with our customers and he does not have to. Don't get me wrong he will talk to them but not deep conversation, he lets me do that. Just remember that if you both can stand to be around each other a lot then you can make it work if you can't then don't even start. We are together 24-7, 365. Most couples can't do this and if you can you are truely blessed!

Beth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode