Anyone every accidently scratch a piece of furniture? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Anyone every accidently scratch a piece of furniture?

I did a first time clean and after removing the glass on table to clean it on both sides, a scratch was noticed on top of the table. I don't know how it got there, unless it was from the tiny little circles on the bottom of the glass? It was on a black matte finish table. Anyone run into this type problem and if so what do you do? I have offered to repair it with a black wax pencil or whatever it takes. If that doesn't work to customers satisfaction I have even offered if necessary to bring in Furniture Medic. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 AM

it is what it is

Yeah in 13 years of carpet cleaning Ive had my share of scratches / breaks,etc. The best thing to do is obviously be careful and think 2 steps ahead when touching somebody property of any kind. In your situation with a scratch so small I would take the piece to a furniture medic like you mentioned and have them do a quick fix on it. If they are legit and honest they can fix those sort of things. If they cant then they are in the wrong business and you should find someone else to fix it. No matter what you do document the piece take a few pictures of it when you pick it up and a few when you deliver it back to the customer; at all angles so you cant be accused of something else later!
post #3 of Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 AM

issues

I broke a table a few months ago. A glass table top It suck for a couple fo reasons. One the customer was the mother of a very wealthy and consistant customer; whom lived on the same piece of property. So she knew about her moms broken table very soon after it happened. Secondly it was approx 1 inch thick, beveled glass with a design in it. So in other words it was not cheap to remake the same piece of glass. Of all things I guess it would have been much better to break a simple thin square piece of glass , but no I had to break the good stuff lol I broke it apparently by bumping into it with my floor wand. The bump was literally so light I didnt even know it broke until after I was doing my walk through when I was done. Im sure you seen or heard of it when glass break so easily if you hit that one tiny weak spot. Well I hit that spot, 1 inch thick and broke like it was the thickness of a hair. true story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM

I have been lucky so far in that I have never scratched a client's furniture (knock on wood), but I have scratched some of my own when we were moving. I just got some of those markers they make for furniture, and you couldn't even tell.
post #5 of Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great advice. This was on a dining table so it is way to heavy to haul out to fix. I am trying one thing at a time to hopefully find something that works. If all else fails I will offer to have someone come in to fix it. Lesson learned...the hard way
post #6 of Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Any time we break or damage anything in someone's home I have found it's a lot easier to be up front about it and let the homeowner know as soon as possible. It's a lot easier to work something out with them if you are honest about it from the start. We have had employees try to hide it from us and from the homeowner and that leads to disaster. Now if they don't say anything, we write them up. 3 write ups and that's it!
post #7 of Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

I actually thought it was a mark on the glass. But I am still working it out. We have agreed to try wax pencils (which I purchased) along with the owners cover up marker. If this doesn't work to her satisfaction I will bring in a pro. This happened over a month ago and it is still a work in progress but I think she knows I won't give up until it is taken care of. I currently work by myself but because of demand I may be looking in to hiring some help. Could us advice in this area too! Thanks again!!
post #8 of Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM

While cleaning the furnitures, you have to take extra care about it. It is better to fix it by the things available in your house. Use markers or shoe polish that is the same color as your furniture.
post #9 of Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 AM

Hi guys,
It happens generally that during cleaning small damage are possible and you don't hide to homeowner or contractor if you broke it. Precautions and safety are necessary because no one want to lose their precious glass or any furniture and it may add a bad impression in your company's reputation. One day our team was busy in cleaning an office and during that task by mistake they broke a glass table that was very important glass for his owner because that was gifted. After that I told him whole story of breaking glass on phone and say sorry because he was unaware from this happen. Believe me he became very happy because I told them about breaking glass while he was unaware he praise for our honesty. That was a good memory for me during cleaning projects.
post #10 of Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM

When I worked at a furniture company years ago, we would always carry the colored wax crayons with us. You just heat them up a bit and bam it fixes most things. I don't know exactly about black matte finish though, that could prove to somewhat of a toughy. I always give piano's a WIDE birth when cleaning.
post #11 of Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM

While moving or shifting your furniture you have to take great care of it. Even though if it scratched then there are so many things are available in the market and with the use of that you can fix scratches.
post #12 of Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM

No, thankfully that has never happened to me before, but the best advice is to just be honest. Lying about it can lean into further complications down the road.
post #13 of Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 AM

The cooking area is probably the most famous area in almost any home. Individual tends to invest lots of your time and energy and effort in this area, and as a result the fixtures get used quite a bit. Therefore, you must give some proper treatment to your cooking area's fixtures so that even with the extreme use, the accessories will last a while.
post #14 of Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM

It is common to scratch furniture accidentally and most probable area is kitchen. Moving furniture from one place to another should be done carefully to avoid scratching. To solve such kind of scratches, you need to apply fixtures.

Get furniture for office at affordable prices
post #15 of Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 AM

Repair Scratches in Wood with Tea

Place a tea bag (use black tea, not herbal or green tea) in a mug and spoon a few tablespoons of hot water onto the bag. Let it steep for 2 to 3 minutes. The longer the tea steeps, the darker it will be, so gauge steeping time to match the shade of the furniture that needs a fix. Dab the tea onto the scratches with a cotton swab, then quickly wipe away the excess with a paper towel to prevent the wood around the scratches from being stained. If the wood is a medium-dark color, you may need to apply the tea more than once.

Tags
furniture scratch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode