Anyone own a steam vapor machine? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Anyone own a steam vapor machine?

I'm just curios to know if anyone here who cleans professionally uses a steam vapor machine. I bought a residential unit about a year and a half ago and I absolutely love it. I really can't clean without it now. I recently upgraded to a commercial unit because I use it that much. My clients have been amazed with how clean I can get their bathrooms, and with how their plumbing fixtures and floors look. I've been able to take off layers and layers of grease from stove hoods and cleaning mirrors is so fast. I know that compared to a lot of other equipment, a vapor machine is pricey, but I am still surprised that I don't see more of a buzz about them among cleaning professionals. I guess that's a good thing. Maybe the fact that I offer vapor cleaning and disinfecting gives me an edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

I have a question. We have a house where the laundry room is connected to the garage. The baseboards are black and we have never been able to get them white (the color they are painted). Have you tried cleaning anything like that? I'm wondering if it will take the paint off or help get the black off?

Thanks
post #3 of Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.... Hard to say without seeing it for myself, so I have to say maybe.

If the problem is a stain set into the paint, probably not. If, however, the problem is a residue build up caused by exhaust, then vapor cleaning could be very effective. For a problem like that, I'm guessing the machine would not remove it without the aid of an additional cleaning agent, but it might. If I were in your situation I would first try using the machine on a low pressure setting with cloth covered attachment/tool to gently rub away the problem. If that didn't work I would mix a mild solution of soda ash with very hot water and either pre-treat the attached cleaning cloth or the problem area, followed by the method I just described. I'm about 50% sure this would work, but since I haven't seen the problem myself, I am hesitant to say anything with certainty. I have, however, had very good luck with very tough grease/oil type problems using the vapor/soda ash combo. 100% environmentally safe & no fumes.

As you know, paint quality can vary greatly, so I would exercise caution and common sense along the way. Soda ash can be pretty powerful stuff when mixed at a high concentration, so obviously starting out by mixing up a mild solution first would be prudent. Same advice goes for the use of a vapor machine on painted surfaces. Use a low setting and pulse the steam button/trigger (don't just shoot it out full blast non stop.) Maintenance on an area like that once fixing the problem should be a snap using a vapor machine.

Vapor cleaning takes some practice to become effective and efficient with it, but can very effective.

On another note, have you ever tried a product called de*solv*it? It's pretty good stuff, if you haven't tried it. Much better than goo gone. There's a few different types, but I think the one I've linked here might help your problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Sol-101...ef=pd_sbs_ol_5

Last edited by Green Valley Cleaning; 03-22-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Update to my last post -

I found a situation where I could try out my theory and I turned out to be WRONG! Thank goodness it wasn't at a customers house. I had a situation with a painted door between a garage and kitchen. The lowest setting on the vapor machine couldn't remove the stain, and the higher setting made the paint slip off the metal door. I'm not sure if the same results would come from painted wood or not, I have used the vapor machine to clean painted baseboards before, but have never run into a situation that difficult to remove.... Lesson learned!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode