Awful Smell and other problems - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Awful Smell and other problems

Ok this is going to be a little nasty and a little embarrassing for me but oh well.
So I live out in the country and there is a 50+ acre field behind me along with 2 large ponds. This added up equals mice and rats. I have this HUGE phobia of wild rats. When my 2 year old brushes up against me I cant barely stand it. AHHHHHHHHH just the thought of it makes my spine twinge and my skin crawl. We have tried EVERYTHING to keep them out. I can not afford at pest man at $75/hr so its left up to us. We tried filling all the holes with that foam that hardens up, they ate threw it. Traps, bypassed them. (snap and glue) So we used poison. I know I know BIG mistake but that was the LAST straw believe me. NOW, uh its so awful to even think about, I think one has died up under my bathroom counter, like up under the wood. Whenever you open it the smell about knocks you on your feet. The sent is leaking out of the cabinet and is faint but you can deff smell its there. Trust me it is a dead animal smell (I collect skulls for art reasons). I was wondering if there is any quick fix for the smell till I can convince my boyfriend to go up under the crawl space, which freaks me out to no limit. I CAN NOT stand a rat. If one were to jump on me I might have a heart attack, I honestly dont know what would happen to me if I were stuck under the back corner of the house and one was on me AHHHHHHHHHH. So you can 86 the idea of me going under there. But anyways..What other cleaning do I need to do to make sure rat pee isnt lurking around my house. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and it is just not sanitary..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Sounds like $75 an hour for the exterminator is the way to go. Sorry, but I don't have any other advice. Sometimes it is best to let a professional handle the situation, or you could just move!

I feel your pain. I lived in an old country house growing up. The smell coming from behind a wall is quite noticeable and hard to cover up. You have to get to the source.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #3 of Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Botanical Cleaning

This is more of a lateral response, but if you do decide to go with any disinfectants and cleaners because of the RAT issue, you might want to consider products like Benefect are completely chemical-free and botanical.

Having kids as well, I've the products we use in our home and refuse to use and toxic or chemical disinfectants or cleaners in the house.

If you take a few minutes to read up on the benefits of chemical-free cleaning, I think you'll be quite pleased.

This info can be found at www.universalbotanicals.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Nicole,

If this is your company (if you are Nicole Mammano) then you are spamming the board with this post. That's not cool.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #5 of Old 05-24-2008, 03:24 AM

I too thought that he is spamming as he is into direct marketing.

Hey that issue of walls smelling must be handled by experts only as TailorMaid said I think he is right.
post #6 of Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 AM

Awful Smell and other problems Reply to Thread

1. I hope you have ensured the carcass has been disposed of.
  2. Based on where the rat could have been dead, clean and remove things from the spot and around it.
  3. Not the most convenient thing to do but get remove stuff from that room.Use chlorox bleach or pine sol ( chlorox bleach can be sensitive to certain surfaces so exercise diligence) or the chlorox wipes to wipe the surroundings. Be sure to wear gloves at all times. You may need to repeat this steps a few times.
  4. In case you have carpet in that room, it would need a shampoo and steam since carpets hold a lot of odor. Clean the room thoroughly.
  5. Spray vinegar generously in the room.
  6. Open the windows and expose the room to good ventilation and sunlight.Many a times, leaving the window open on a sunny day in stills some freshness to the room.
  7. Place an odor eliminating charcoal bar in the location of the dead rat. You get the charcoal bars in the closet section of laundry. Leave me a comment if you need the exact name.
  8. Lastly, I suggest using Yankee candles for a few days after going over the above steps to eliminate traces of the smell.
  9. If the above steps are helping very little, I would suggest febreeze sprays. I usually do not recommend it due to inhalation concerns.
  10. Clean the surfaces of all the things you are putting back in the room with chlorox wipes etc. Problem is the smell sticks to surfaces. It takes a lot of hard work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode