Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
14K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  AltheaShively 
#1 ·
Fall is upon us and this is one of the best times to clean your carpet. During summer, your carpet sees a lot of traffic. Kids running in and out, pets tracking in dirt and mud, humidity increasing the chance for bacteria growth in the carpet padding and dust and pollen settling in the fibers. These are just some of the things you might have dealt with over the summer in addition to accidents and spills. With the temperature cooling and the humidity dropping, this is the best time of year to freshen up carpet.

Genesis 950 is the best carpet cleaner for general cleaning and professional cleaning. It is a cleaner unlike any other. It is a surfactant based, green cleaner. Being a surfactant, it works with water to be absorbed by the stains and break them down. Once a stain is broken down, it can be flushed from the surface. Genesis 950 does more than just remove stains. It also has antibacterial agents which kill germs that can cause illness or foul odors.

The best way to clean carpets with Genesis 950 is by using it in a carpet cleaning machine or steam cleaner. There are several different brands of steam cleaners available. They can also be rented from local businesses. Many manufacturers of these machines also offer various lines of cleaning products, however none have the cleaning power of Genesis 950.

Many of these cleaners are soap based. A soap based cleaner is more likely to attract dirt to an area, rather than break the dirt and stains down. This makes reoccurring stains more likely as the cleaners do not kill the germs and bacteria under the surface of the carpet. If the padding does not get cleaned, the stains resurface. When a soap based cleaner is used, the dirt and grime attracted to the soaps eventually become visible.

These products are also expensive. A 64 ounce (2 quart) container can easily run over $20. This is hardly enough to clean a room, and unfortunately, for tough stains, they don't always have the ability to clean. Genesis 950 is a much more cost effective way to clean. It is sold in concentrate form. This means that you have to add water when you use it. The bulk of cleaners on the market for consumers are watered down. This is because they are not safe enough to be sold in concentrate form. There are Federal requirements as to what companies can sell to consumers. If a products chemical content is too high, water can be added to reduce that content. Genesis 950 does not have to do that. As a result, when you purchase Genesis 950, you are paying for 100% product, rather than a watered down version.

While a quart of Genesis 950 is $21.75 when ordered directly from our store website, The real savings come from the fact that it is concentrated. The mixing ratio for general cleaning with Genesis 950 is 1 part 950 to 7 parts water. When mixed in this manner, that 1 quart essentially becomes 7 quarts of cleaning solution. The general cleaning ratio for carpet cleaning is perfect for killing the germs and bacteria in the carpet, removing odors, and giving the carpet new life. If the stains being addressed are more than general cleaning stains, such as pet stains, wine stains, ink stains and so on, the ratio can be increased to as high as a 50/50 mix - although typically a 1/3 950 & 2/3 water mix should suffice. Some stains are bonded tighter to carpet and need a little more saturation of Genesis 950 and water to be removed.

The savings for Genesis 950 only increase when the sizes are increased. A 1 gallon container sells for $42. Again, for general cleaning, the breakdown of 950 and water at a 1:7 ratio really expands the product's longevity and that 1 gallon container essentially become 7 gallons. The most popular size for carpet cleaning an entire home is the 2.5 gallon container. At $60, you can easily clean your entire home. It also leaves plenty for tougher stains, spot cleaning, household cleaning and so on. Genesis 950 cleans far more than carpet, the uses are endless. $60 is far less than you will pay for a professional carpet cleaning, the cost of replacing an old carpet or the loss of a security deposit.

Genesis 950 makes carpets look fresh and restored. It is very easy to use in any type of carpet cleaning machine, and because it is not soap based, it is safe for any type of machine. There are 2 basic types of carpet cleaners.

Some machines have 2 compartments, one for water and one for cleaning solution. These are the easiest to use as far as measuring how much cleaner to use. Simply fill the solution compartment up with Genesis 950, and the water compartment with water. These machines typically have settings such as "High," "Medium," "Low" and "Rinse." By choosing the appropriate setting, the machine will automatically mix the water and solution automatically. When doing a basic clean, select the "Low" or "Medium" setting. If you are dealing with a prominent stain or pet stains, select "High." Be sure to check the solution compartment often as some machines run through it fast when using the high setting.

Other machines have 1 large tank where the water and the cleaning solution are mixed together. This is very typical of machines that can be rented. For these machines, simply mix the solution as needed based on the severity of the stains. If it is a general carpet cleaning, stick to the 1 part Genesis 950 to 7 parts water mix. For pet stains and food stains, a 1/3 Genesis 950 to 2/3 water mix can be used. If the carpet is obnoxious and filthy, you can go as high as a 50/50 mix.

When cleaning, take your time going over the area. Slowly release the mixture of Genesis 950 and water onto the carpet. After you have gone over the carpet, allow the mixture of 950 and water to sit for a few minutes. This is where Genesis 950 does the work. As the 950 comes in contact with the stains, it becomes absorbed by them. When this happens, the stain becomes water soluble. As the stain becomes water soluble, it breaks down. In addition to breaking down stains, the 950 will also break apart dirt, pollen, and any bacteria in the carpet.

After the carpet has been left alone for a brief period, change the settings of the machine so you can do a complete rinse. In a machine with 2 compartments, simply remove the solution compartment or change the setting to "Rinse." In a machine with 1 compartment, fill that compartment with fresh water and nothing else. Proceed to rinse the areas that you had initially cleaned with. You will notice the return water coming back filthy. In some cases, the 950 breaks so much down that the return water almost looks like mud. Repeat the rinsing to pull out as much as you can out of the carpet. If possible, keep rinsing until the water comes back looking clear. Obviously of the carpet has not been cleaned for some time, or it is a high traffic area, you may have to rinse a lot for this to happen. If that is the case, rinse until you are satisfied.

After you have rinsed the carpet, it is important to allow the carpet to dry. While excess moisture in the padding may promote bacteria or mold growth, the Genesis 950 fights that with it's antibacterial agents and actually prevents such growth. However, thoroughly drying the carpet is recommended. If weather permits and humidity levels are low, open windows to help the process. Fans and dehumidifiers can also be used to speed up the drying process.

See less See more
#4 ·
Surfectants are in every soap based cleaner. Every carpet cleaning chemical in the world has surfectants except 1. That product is Procyon. I know this because all the professionals from the old days cleaning association bet me thousands of dollars that Procyon HAD to have surfectants because every carpet cleaner had it. They did all the research and sure enough... they were wrong! Procyon is the only surfectant free professional carpet cleaner. :whistling2::thumbup:

Now let me explain about what surfectants cause. Do you know when you clean a spot on a carpet then a week or 2 later it starts looking dirty again? That's because the surfectants in soap leave a sticky residue. That sticky residue attracts dust.

And that my friends is why it is best to NEVER use any type of spot remover and when you hire a carpet cleaner they should either use Procyon or WATER ONLY. Almost all carpet cleaners will not use Procyon because they can't see it foam up or see it working. Not to mention it's probably higher priced.

For spots use a WHITE towel with WATER.

Our white carpet still looks great after all these years..... still in 99.9% perfect condition.

#5 ·
I really though everybody knew that already. It was kind of one of the many things that most people in the business argue about during bbq or something. I guess that's what separates "professionals" from everyday HUMANS. huehuehue. ;)

-Paul

#7 ·
Always protect your furniture, carpet padding, and subfloor when cleaning carpets. Grab a partner to help you remove furniture from the room where the carpet is being cleaned. Thoroughly vacuum the carpet. Use a rental cleaner -- if recommended by the carpet manufacturer -- or have it professionally cleaned. If you choose a wet extraction method, make sure the carpet dries completely within 24 hours to prevent mold or mildew growth in the carpet or padding and to stop moisture from damaging the floor underneath.

#17 ·
You have provided some great tips regarding carpet cleaning. I usually hire professional cleaners to do the cleaning work, they do a wonderful job. I get free time on Sundays only, so I won't clean it myself. Anyways, I am glad that I have read your tips. I'm definitely going to try it soon.

#21 ·
Steps to clean your carpet without a steam cleaner

Here are the steps to clean your carpet without a steam cleaner:

1. Get a bucket of warm water and your preferred cleaning tool ready.
  2. Vacuum the entire area you wish to clean to get rid of dirt and dust.
  3. If using baking soda, sprinkle the stain until completely covered. If using dish soap, measure the stain’s size, and use 1 tablespoon per 6 to 8 inches of stain.
  4. Swoosh it around until you see bubbles.
  5. Using an old brush, toothbrush, rag, or towel, gently scrub the stain with warm water.
  6. Do not completely soak the floor, just make it wet enough to scrub away the dirt/stain.
  7. Turn on any fans, or open nearby windows to allow carpet to air dry.
  8. Once dry, vacuum again.

#22 ·
For me, carpet cleaning is one of the hardest stuff in terms of cleaning my place. Though it has so many methods of how to clean it.
But now, I don't have any problems with cleaning it because I have one of the best carpet cleaners in New York. The Extreme Carpet Cleaning in Buffalo NY. Try visiting be just typing this in your search bars. floorcleanings (dot) com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.