Cleaning kitchen cabinets - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning kitchen cabinets

Hi Everyone, what do you find works well for cleaning the doors on kitchen cabinets? They have the typical nasty looking grime and grease on them. I usually use Lysol diluted in hot water with a rag, but wanted to see if I'm missing anything better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM

We use orange oil mixed with water. Spray them down, scrub them up, follow with wet cloth to rinse.

Any ol' kitchen degreaser should work well. I used to use Zep from home depot before I went non-toxic.
post #3 of Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 AM

I use Bio clean to clean floor, woods, cabinets, fittings and surface. It is a multipurpose cleaner that cleans everything from grease removal to surface cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 PM

For wood cabinets (almost all cabinets) make sure your cleaner is pH balanced, otherwise you will slowly distroy the wood.
post #5 of Old 03-10-2014, 01:25 AM

Kitchen Cabinets

Yeah, Cherryrosh is right, I have used the product for cleaning my kitchen cabinets and it works effectively. I am happy with the results and easy cleaning.
post #6 of Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Tell all of your clients to replace their cabinets with ones from IKEA. ;-) I swear, those suckers are a dream to clean inside and out, even the white ones!

All kidding aside, you definitely have to be careful with using Magic Erasers on cabinets. Goodbye finish. I know I have had luck with using De-Solve It (a citrus goo cleaner) to wipe the tippy-top of cabinets/cabinet doors that have that built up grease (the kind your cleaning cloth drags against and won't come up). When it's so built up that general cleaners won't take care of the problem, I've broken that stuff out. I have also used Krud Kutter on occasion. But, as with everything, test in a small, inconspicuous spot first.
post #7 of Old 05-21-2014, 05:38 AM

Any multipurpose wood cleaner will be the best bet to do it.
post #8 of Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 AM

You can get a purple stuff which we call Castrol at our house also. You can get it from the nearest wallmart shop. Put it on, spray bottle, then apply it to greasy area.
post #9 of Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid to Shine View Post
For wood cabinets (almost all cabinets) make sure your cleaner is pH balanced, otherwise you will slowly distroy the wood.
I agree with Maid to Shine, my brother destroyed his apartment cabinets! So be careful and good luck.
post #10 of Old 11-05-2014, 04:37 AM

I use some homemade stuff to clean my wood kitchen cabinets. i use 1 part vegetable oil and 2 parts baking soda, you need to apply it on cabinets and rub it with brush or rug. You will get instant result.
post #11 of Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM

We use a green degreaser (from PortionPack) to clean soiled spots in the kitchen cabinets and it works really well. Microfiber cloth and sponges do the job for the most part, so you don't have to "soak" the cabinets with cleaners.

Olena
Clean4Real Cleaning Services
Connect with us on Google+ Clean4Real
Follow us on FB Clean4Real
post #12 of Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM

The best advice I can give you is to not to wait to they have that typical nasty looking grime and grease on them. I cleaning my kitchen almost every day. I'm not spending a lot of time in the kitchen, but always, while I cook, I clean some of the details in my kitchen, and detail by detail, kitchen is clean and actually is never becoming too greasy.

My best friend just had a baby, and she's my age. So I'm a godmom now, which is crazy. grin:
post #13 of Old 06-29-2018, 05:07 PM

I sort of dont agree about using Magic Erasers. I think it depends on the cleaning fluid you use, not the use of those marvelous erasers. If the cabinets are formica or painted, I use an H202 all purpose cleaner, which is safe and does a great job using a Magic Eraser. On wood cabinets, I would use an ordinary foam sponge, and use another product. I also might apply some sort of wood polish if I thought it was needed.
post #14 of Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM

I use 409 or Fantastic to cut the greasy grime on formica cabs however real wood cabs are a completely different thing.

You can damage real wood with these degreasers.For real wood I use murphy's oil soap, but if they are super greasy it may not be effective.

BTW magic erasers are NOT magic they are abrasive and scratch the surface clean which is why the label says do not use on wood surfaces and a few other things.Read the label.
post #15 of Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 AM

Thank you for that information.
post #16 of Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Vinegar is the go-to natural cleaner when faced with how to clean greasy cabinets. Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and warm water and put into a spray bottle. Mist on cabinets, let sit for a minute or two and then wipe clean with a soft cloth. Add a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent to the vinegar and water solution to clean extremely grimy cabinets.

Whatever cleaner you choose, the basic steps of how to clean wood kitchen cabinets are the same:

#1.Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe the cleaner on the outside of the cabinet doors and drawers. You may need to use a little elbow grease to remove heavy grease and grime buildup.

#2.Wipe the cleaner on drawer pulls and door handles.

#3.Use a toothbrush dipped in the cleaner to scrub the hardware, the wood around the hardware and the crevices of ornate trim.

#4.Wipe the cleaner on the inside of the doors and drawers.

#5.Use a second cloth or sponge dipped in clean water to remove the cleaner from all surfaces.

#6.Dry all surfaces thoroughly a clean towel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode