Client who hasn't paid! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Client who hasn't paid!

Hello!

Just had a quick questions for everyone. I have a biweekly client (used to be weekly until she got caught up with cleaning, down to biweekly for about 3 months now) who I have been cleaning for about 7 months now. She was referred to me by my mother in law and up until now, has been wonderful. However, two weeks ago, we went to her home on our scheduled day and there was no key under the mat and the door was locked. I called and no one responded on any numbers. I came to find out that they had gone on vacation and did not let me know. (Which made me angry to begin with). The problem lies here: The previous cleaning we did, her husband had forgotten to leave her the check (he writes them). She was mortified and asked if she could send it to me. I said of course, as in 3 years, this has never been a problem. I especially didn't mind, since her husband is my mother-in-law's co-worker. Long story short, I have not received a check, nor have a received a phone call back from when they were on vacation. I have left numerous messages on house, cell and work phones. I am not quite sure what the next step for me should be. I obviously know where they live, but I do not want to be harassing. How do you handle this situation? I have been doing this quite some time now and have way too many clients and businesses to be messing around with what I can only describe as nonsense!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 AM

People's lives get hectic. Since this is a client of three years with a good track record, don't sweat it. Send them an invoice via regular mail. If the money doesn't come to you within a couple weeks send another one via registered mail. They'll get the message. How harsh and bothersome you want to be depends upon whether you want this couple to remain as your clients.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
I have thought about sending them an invoice through the mail. They have only been clients of mine for about 6 months though, not three years. It is not so much the money that annoys me, it is not being responded to after 4 weeks. I know better than anyone how hectic life can be as I run a business with employees and have a toddler and husband at home. A simple 2 minute phone call would do the trick, but I find it rude to ignore someone's phone call that you owe money to.
I am going to take your advice and send the invoice via mail and perhaps call them again next week to "see if they received it".
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM

I hate to say it but here goes............ "welcome to the world of business ownership"

Ken is right, you have to take the emotion out of it and handle collections in the most professional way possible, and that would be to send an invoice and to wait until the due date listed on your invoice is past due before sending another "certified". In the meanwhile you can state that until you are paid in full that you will not be able to clean for them again so as to cut your losses, however I have found that many people will double up on payments when they have gotten into this type of situation so we normally do go the next time and leave if we do not find a check or payment that is equal to 2 cleanings worth of fees.
post #5 of Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Haha! Yes, business ownership is grand, isn't it?! At least in 3 years doing this, this is really the first time I have had to deal with it. As for suspending service until I am paid, that shouldn't be a problem since I have not spoken to them since May 26. As I mentioned, we went 2 weeks later on our regular day and they were not there. That was 2 weeks ago and I have not heard from them at all. No email, call, nothing. I have left numerous messages. I've had people "double up" before, so I am used to that. That is what I was expecting when we got there 2 weeks ago to clean. However, they were not home and I haven't heard from them since.
I am going to send the invoice tomorrow and see what happens from there. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode