Customer wants vs. Professional Experience - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Customer wants vs. Professional Experience

Hi guys and gals of the cleaning world. I wanted to ask you what you do when a customer wants you to use a certain products but you know that you have a product that will work better.

Today I was cleaning a customers house and she wanted me to use her own product to clean her floors. She wanted me to use to use a grocery store product to clean her floors. I had a really good professional product I got from the janitorial store that I had really good results from and I had no experience using her particular product. I didn't know how much to dilute it (there were no instructions about dilution) and was more comfortable with what I had experience using.

I went ahead and used her product, but I felt that my professional-grade product would work better.

I can see some customers wanting their house cleaner to use a certain product if they have chemical sensitivities or environmental concerns. But why don't they trust us when it comes to cleaning?

How do you guys handle this?

Silverdale Window Cleaning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Using customer's products/equipment

Had the same situation about a week ago on a first clean.

The lady had some swiffer crap she used on her harwood floors and I showed her all of the streaks and residue it left behind and she let me use my Bona. Needless to say she will never use anything else but the Bona now.

She also wanted me to use her Oreck because she didn't want the smell of someone else's home coming from my vacuum..

I let her know my vac is blown out with compressed air and another clean washed out pre-filter is used after every home cleaning. Plus her cord was too short, it's a piece of junk and the hose isn't long enough either. So I used my Dyson!

I try to please the customer but hold my ground when it comes to using their inferior products or equipment.

In the end, she was pleased.

ThoroClean ~ Real Home Cleaning
http://jamesgphoto.com/clean.htm

Last edited by manmaid; 03-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Post Stand For Your Products

Over the years I have had the exact same thing happen. You just need to "sell" your product on how you feel it is better and why you stay away from standard store bought products. I have also had customers insist I only use water to clean their tile floors. It just takes a little educating and lots of convincing to to get people to listen sometimes. If you feel the product they are requesting is adequate use it; let them pay for the chemicals and save yourself some money!

Steamkinguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

re: using superior products

Thanks guys, you're right in believing in your methods and getting the job done right. Maybe I need to be more persuasive. Customers will hold you to high standards and will be upset if things don't turn out as clean as they could even if it was because they insisted that you use an inferior product. Manmaid, that is a good idea about reassuring them that your vacuum is hygienic and free of other people's germs. I've had people want me to vacuum first then dust even though I use a backpack vacuum with a 4 stage hepa filter which won't put any dust back into the air! I should explain that to them instead of cleaning the wrong way

Thanks

Bremerton Window Cleaning
post #5 of Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM

The reason we never get a complaint is in part due to my policy. We do the same things in every house we clean. We might be asked to not clean a room here or there but other than that, we do the same things as far as cleaning goes. The customer doesn't tell us what to do... we are the cleaning professionals, we know what to do. We have a Siler Plan and a Gold Plan. Gold has ceiling fans/baseboards/etc... the 'extra's' and the silver doesn't have the 'extra's'. And, we only use our chemicals. We use very few chemicals anyway. It has worked well for us over the years and has prevented us from ever having a lot of work piled on. We don't clean refrigerators or ovens so that's not a problem. It's not an option.... unless someone wants to pay $1000 cash and I'll come out and clean it myself. lol
post #6 of Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 PM

I like the silver and gold plan ++++++++

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode