Do you all charge extra for First time cleans?? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Do you all charge extra for First time cleans??

Hello all,
I just started my biz.. so please bear with me. Do you all charge the first time clean- as a detailed cleaning??
What have you noticed as the "best" way to convert inquirys in to clients?? Hourly/ Flat rate?? BTW ( I am in Texas).

I initally started charging ( flat rate) at a higher rate for first time cleans and a lower rate for recurring rates and have not been able to convert any inquiry into paying clients. (FYI.. those potential clients were all obtained via Service Magic and I guess they just contacted other maid services).

I got a call today and have scheduled a clean for Friday. I did not charge the first clean as a detailed cleaning( it will be a recurring bi-weekly clean).. I just told the client to pay the same flat rate every clean.

I will trully appreciate your 2 cents.
Thanks in advance.

Optimisim is the faith that leads to acheivement nothing can be done without hope and confidence... Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Here's what I do:

I do in-person estimates - I've gotten burned on phone estimates. I go out to the house, meet the owner(s), look around (check baseboards, ceiling fans, bathrooms, etc), and ask lots of questions. I give them an estimate based on what they want and how long I think it will take me to do it all. Some people want things like cabinet fronts wiped down and the inside of the microwave cleaned; some do not. I've found that most first-time cleans take between 10-12 man-hours (so, 5 - 6 hours with two cleaners, for example). Let's say you charge $30 per man hour - you can tell them that the first cleaning is going to cost between $300 - $360.

I charge hourly for the first maintenance cleaning too so I can get a feel for how clean they keep it between cleanings and how long it is going to take. If it takes 3 hours w/one cleaner, for example, then I know it would be $30 x 3 = $90. After the first maintenance cleaning, I give them a flat rate (so, in this case it would be $90).
post #3 of Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Let's say you charge $30 per man hour - you can tell them that the first cleaning is going to cost between $300 - $360.

Before I started the biz, I called around potential competitors and they charge a flat fee only. None of them charge per hour. I know you are in a different state.. but are your clients receptive to being charge per hour??

As I read in a few of your postings that you have tried Service Magic... how did it work for you?? I have tried SM,but the leads never bother to return calls.. even after I call them at least 3 times and send emails to them. I was able to convert a lead to a client.. but I think I grossly underpriced for the moveout. I guess I was a bit desperate.

Optimisim is the faith that leads to acheivement nothing can be done without hope and confidence... Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM

For a detailed clean I charge double of what the weekly price would be and go from there.

~ Laura ~
Gleam Clean Services of Augusta
http://www.gleamcleanaugusta.com
post #5 of Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM

I am in Dallas Fort Worth. I have to contend with a lot of low-ball bids so it makes it rough. I usually give a rough estimate over the phone, and if price seems to be an issue I agree to do detail clean over first several cleans for regular rate.

This has always worked very well for me, gets my foot in the door, and allows me the time to get home under control without wearing myself out.

It also makes client feel as if you are taking time to get their home "perfect".

L.
post #6 of Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM

We charge hourly. That is why accurate estimates is important to us. With over 20 years cleaning experience, we doing it quiet good.
post #7 of Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM

I have been in business for 17 years and have always based first time cleans on double what their normal rate would be. I have never charged hourly because I have found clients are not very excited to hear I base my rates on 40-50 per hour. but if I tell them 135.00 every two weeks it works. This has always worked for me.
post #8 of Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3166 View Post
We charge hourly. That is why accurate estimates is important to us. With over 20 years cleaning experience, we doing it quiet good.
I would have to agree as this is the most effective way to accurately price, plan and implement a professional clean. This, although can only be achieved by an experienced manager who has trained their staff well and knows how to clean properly. If you don't manage the staff properly on a job, then you could lose money and nobody wants that
Professional Cleaners in Preston
post #9 of Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Charging by the hour is a mistake. However, estimating how many hours it will take you is a good idea. If you charge by the hour and your person is tired and it takes them an extra hour to clean the house do you charge your client for an extra hour?

Estimate the house for the number of hours it will take, charge the client estimate hours x rate, and make sure to pay your people a % of the house not hourly. Always give the client a set price and stick by it. I talked more about our % pay for our people here.

If they add a dog or a child, you will have to give them a price increase.

Oh, and to answer the original question, a 1st time clean will be at least double the price of on-going price.
post #10 of Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid to Shine View Post
Charging by the hour is a mistake. However, estimating how many hours it will take you is a good idea. If you charge by the hour and your person is tired and it takes them an extra hour to clean the house do you charge your client for an extra hour?

Estimate the house for the number of hours it will take, charge the client estimate hours x rate, and make sure to pay your people a % of the house not hourly. Always give the client a set price and stick by it. I talked more about our % pay for our people here.

If they add a dog or a child, you will have to give them a price increase.

Oh, and to answer the original question, a 1st time clean will be at least double the price of on-going price.
The best way is to train your staff to a high standard and set key performance indicators to monitor their progress per job and over time. If in your example someone is tired and does less work, is it fair to pay him/her the same as other hard working staff? The answer is to manage each job with an experienced manager and also provide good training. That way, you will achieve an average speed and quality of work that is to a professional standard. We as a cleaning company stick to our quoted price as long as we have had a chance to assess the customers requirements & the property first.

Cleaning in Preston
post #11 of Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Cleaners View Post
The best way is to train your staff to a high standard and set key performance indicators to monitor their progress per job and over time. If in your example someone is tired and does less work, is it fair to pay him/her the same as other hard working staff? The answer is to manage each job with an experienced manager and also provide good training. That way, you will achieve an average speed and quality of work that is to a professional standard. We as a cleaning company stick to our quoted price as long as we have had a chance to assess the customers requirements & the property first.

Cleaning in Preston
Always good advice, but I have to mention we do not have managers, ever person on their own (1 maid per house). There is never a problem paying the "slow person" because that person is cleaning the home by themselves. We still have a quality controllers who give unannounced quality control checks.

Great advice on training, that is the way to go!
post #12 of Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM

We offer free in-house consultations and then provide with an estimate. We take into account different factors, including the number of work hours, and man power needed. Hope this helps!
post #13 of Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM

I charge double of the reg cleaning. And always looks like price is right.When I was starting i was charging $50 extra and I very quickly find out that doesn't work lol.
post #14 of Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Hello all,
I just started my biz.. so please bear with me. Do you all charge the first time clean- as a detailed cleaning??
What have you noticed as the "best" way to convert inquirys in to clients?? Hourly/ Flat rate?? BTW ( I am in Texas).

I initally started charging ( flat rate) at a higher rate for first time cleans and a lower rate for recurring rates and have not been able to convert any inquiry into paying clients. (FYI.. those potential clients were all obtained via Service Magic and I guess they just contacted other maid services).

I got a call today and have scheduled a clean for Friday. I did not charge the first clean as a detailed cleaning( it will be a recurring bi-weekly clean).. I just told the client to pay the same flat rate every clean.

I will trully appreciate your 2 cents.
Thanks in advance.
Well, sometimes we don't charge extra for first cleaning, sometimes we do. I just tell you that some customers pretend they need regular cleaning, instead of one-time. And they do so to save money, because rates for one-time cleaning higher than regular. Such customers cancel service after first cleaning. So, be careful not to charge enough for you job.
post #15 of Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 AM

I donít think, it correct to charge extra for the first time cleaning as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks. I think the first task to be done should be made in consideration with adding more consumers and get their referral too.
post #16 of Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 AM

I definitely charge more for a one-time cleaning. However, if it is the first time, and it is on a contractual basis, I do not usually charge more.
post #17 of Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Great Information!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode