Dust, client hell, tools, bathrooms - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Dust, client hell, tools, bathrooms

Dust. What's your solution? I've tried swiffer dusters, and a microfibre cloth with water or glass cleaner. Toilets are the worst. Seems like the dust just gets smeared and wiped around, I get fed up and end up using a paper towel.
How do you deal with the dust/lint on your toilets?
What is your dusting technique? I find I just cant get the dust off of black furniture made of that "cheap wood"

The really really dirty house....
You know the type... the one that's so filthy, you can't even picture how a person could function in this home? I discovered a booger wall, and a pube collection in a pot heads home. It took FOUR HOURS to clean one bathroom and to scrub the walls, door, floors, baseboards in ONE hallway which was covered in dog mess, pot smoke, and god knows what else. How do you clean rooms that are this bad? I started from the top of the room, with a bucket, soapy water, and a scrub brush, and literally scrubbed every surface down to the floor, and cleaned the water up with towels and sponges as it drained. (mind you, this person had a pube collection on the floor between his toilet and the wall....) There were filth covered towels, magazines, and clothing items, which I piled in the hallway.

Last edited by cleaningsol; 11-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Charge really dirty houses by the hour. It's the only way.

Does the dust problem occur during maintenance cleanings? Is your issue in all of yours houses or is it just 1 house that's the problem? There may be a dirty duct problem that needs to be resolved or more regular air/furnace filter changes need to happen. This can also be an issue with homes that are located off of dirt roads. Lots of human and pet activity can also contribute to 'dust ups'.

I use a combo of a Swiffer and quality ostrich feather duster and this works well for me. I know some other pros also use lambswool. The dusty area in question should also have a decent wipe down/initial deep clean for maintenance dusting to be effective.
post #3 of Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 AM

I use vacuum cleaners for removing dust after complete cleaning once. I like dry cleaning because I hate to wait till carpets and other things take time to dry by wet cleaning. I use wet cleaning only on some tough stains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Hi Cleaningsol! I'm still in the planning/researching stage so I am still clueless... Lol... but I think a home like this (filthy/hoarder home) would be my nightmare... I guess I would be nervous that.. say it took more than 6+ hours & it's still not completely clean.. I wonder how those who quote prices on the phone handle homes that need more than say a one day to clean or a home that needs a TEAM to clean (not 1 person).. Maybe someone can educate me on this... I think when I start out especially I will go to the home & do an estimate so I can "see" for myself the state of the home & quote accordingly.

By the way Cleaningsol you stated it took 4 hours in the bathroom.. how long did it take you to complete the entire home? How much did you charge?

Thank you for your post Cleaningsol!
post #5 of Old 11-09-2014, 02:15 PM

I have turned down homes that were extremely filthy and had tons of dog hair and lots and lots of knick knacks to dust. One was a 6 bedroom 4 bath home...I told the guy he needed to hire a team to clean. I was not up for all that work. Besides he thought $20 hr was too high and I figured I would be there 8 hrs at least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode