Getting your first clients in new town? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Getting your first clients in new town?

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to a new town. I have some cleaning experience and was wanting to start my own residential cleaning service in a relatively large city. I have a website developed along with an online booking service. How do I go about getting my first clients though? The big difference I have from other places is that with my service, you can book and know what you'll pay and be ready to go all within 60 seconds. Since it's an independent business, I can focus entirely on the customer instead of meeting needs of the franchise. I have door hangers and flyers ready, and I was going to try to get some press releases. I plan to go door to door, but I'm not sure how successful that will be. Does anyone have any other advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Hi have you considered removable car sings for you auto,News paper Ads, post free ads on online websites. I hope this helps good luck.
post #3 of Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Great advice, I've signed up on sites like Yelp, Angie's List, and Facebook. I wasn't sure if I'd find many people using newspaper ads but it might be worth a try. I've posted on Craigslist and signed up for Adwords as well. Removable car signs are a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM

@neet, I've read threads where sprintcar93 talks about how successful he's become by marketing with flyers, basically finding subdivisions you'd like to work and walk door to door leaving a flyer. I plan on doing that as soon as I'm ready.

Last edited by cleaningdivas; 08-30-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 AM

This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!
post #6 of Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM

Yep. I was actually talked in to starting another cleaning business with a lady. While it was only in the low 90's today it was very muggy. Myself, a lady that is 56 years old and a 24 year old passed out flyers for 4 hours. I could have gone longer but the 24 year old was worn out!! lol We will be back out tomorrow less the 24 year old.

One thing I'm seeing is that you need to be dedicated. When I did this before I was very excited and dedicated.... this time... not so much. lol But I've promised the lady so I will make it happen. One reason I help pass out the flyers is because I need the exercise. Personally I think the business owner should pass out a minimum of 5000 flyers with their own hand. It will make the business owner appreciate what goes in to passing out flyers..... and while 2000 might be hell to pass out by 1 person... 5000 will make them remember it for a long time.
post #7 of Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 PM

@sprintcar93 It's been hot and muggy here too making it hard to be outside. My husband has a lawn business and we are cutting down 3 trees and it was a rough day. We have to finish it tomorrow.

So do you know on an average how many customers you retain for each 1000 flyers you pass out?
post #9 of Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 PM

try removable car sings its work great!!!
post #10 of Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 AM

The best thing I ever did was join a networking group in my area. I was very lucky the position for a house cleaner was open. I have not spent a DIME on advertising, but I did build my own website using key words for my specific area/town. Started my business in early Spring, and by late summer (August) I was booked nearly solid. Now in October, I am looking in to hiring some help.
post #11 of Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM

We've tried distributing the door hangers, but didn't get many calls from that. So, most of our clients come from our website. You have to work at it, though, that people would see it. I am thinking about a removable logo for a car.

Olena
Clean4Real Cleaning Services
Connect with us on Google+ Clean4Real
Follow us on FB Clean4Real
post #12 of Old 11-27-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Yep. I was actually talked in to starting another cleaning business with a lady. While it was only in the low 90's today it was very muggy. Myself, a lady that is 56 years old and a 24 year old passed out flyers for 4 hours. I could have gone longer but the 24 year old was worn out!! lol We will be back out tomorrow less the 24 year old.

One thing I'm seeing is that you need to be dedicated. When I did this before I was very excited and dedicated.... this time... not so much. lol But I've promised the lady so I will make it happen. One reason I help pass out the flyers is because I need the exercise. Personally I think the business owner should pass out a minimum of 5000 flyers with their own hand. It will make the business owner appreciate what goes in to passing out flyers..... and while 2000 might be hell to pass out by 1 person... 5000 will make them remember it for a long time.
Hello there - I'm 41 and getting ready to start my own business next week.

Would you be able to kindly help me with a flyer template that works? I'm going to use Craigslist and flyers door-to-door to get my first few clients.

ANY help would be appreciated

Kind Regards,

Mike
post #13 of Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloun View Post
We've tried distributing the door hangers, but didn't get many calls from that. So, most of our clients come from our website. You have to work at it, though, that people would see it. I am thinking about a removable logo for a car.
I'm working on my flyer template now, but wanted to mention that bringing a role of tape and taping each flyer to a door knob is a great way to get it noticed.

I used to pass flyers out like that years back when I was doing business to business sales. For some reason having to remove the taped flyers forced more people to look at them

- Michael
post #14 of Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM

I have a question.... how can you possibly give them a price on a website? Not only are you screwing yourself out of a LOT of money, but most respectable potential customers want to meet either a representative for the company or the cleaner her/him self. It would be good to see the ratio of people who visit the site vs those who get a price vs those who actually get their house cleaned vs those who DO get their house cleaned and stay longer than 1 month. And the prices.
post #15 of Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 AM

Getting your first clients in new town?

We started off by writing several unique ads for Craigslist. Two of us were involved with the business at that time so we were each able to create individual and separate Craigslist accounts. Two accounts enabled us to keep one ad top posted everyday. This enabled us to get our first few accounts. Every time we posted the ad, we received at least one call or email.

Second to craigslist, referrals have been our biggest source of new jobs. Always give more then what the customer expected and shoot for thoroughness and perfection. If they paid for three hours, give them 4. Once you get the system down and become faster and more efficient with that particular house, you 'll be able to move back into that 3 hour time frame and still maintain the same level of work.

Every time you get a new client, take 5 minutes of your time and hang door hangers on the homes of the five closest neighbors. (we call it 5 around) Leave an area on the door hangers to indicate that you just cleaned their neighbors home, being specific about the address and name of the person you just cleaned for. Those 5 neighbors are likely to chat occasionally and if you did a good job, they will absolutely want to brag to their neighbors about how wonderful you were. Remember that everyone wants to keep up with the Joneses!
post #16 of Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 AM

Hi Neet,

Congratulations on your new business!
Well, in my personal experience with Mr. Homecare, door to door method of marketing rarely worked as compared to the online marketing. Nowadays people give more interest on online marketing, they read stuff and ads. Newspaper is the second way to attract customers. Try getting in touch with the potential clients through social networking platforms. Google ads, PPC, etc., these are the online strategies.

Hope this works. All the best!
Mr. Homecare
post #17 of Old 01-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Handing out flyers into newspaper slots works well, speaking from experience. I've seen a lot of people advertising on community Facebook pages too, seems to have a high response.
post #18 of Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Why are we all still commenting on posts from 2 years ago? Yikes! Things have not changed. If you want to get some initial house cleaning reference clients do the leg work. Door knocking, door hangers, business cards. Everything that is cheap to produce and is delivered using labor not money. Your labor since you don't have any jobs yet!

Julia
All City Cleaning Service
post #19 of Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 AM

In residential area Door to door marketing also would be a good choice if you want to promote yourself in the area that you preferred to give your services.
post #20 of Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Everything Julia said + everything MaidInSaintLousi said +
Do not forget to define your preferred area and customer type. I know some cleaners in Chicago that will not set their foot in certain neighborhoods if you paid them triple the usual rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode