Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Green cleaning and tips!

13K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  LeahHodges 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I couldn't agree more. Many people claim to use green products without really knowing much about them. And this stuff can get pretty technical, as in knowing a LOT about various chemicals. I doubt any of you guys have Masters of Chemistry in your resume. I sure don't. What I did was do some research on the products I prefer, to find out if they have had any issues -legally - about claiming their products are green. And they don't. The stuff I use uses essential oils to make the product smell great. My customers - for the most part - do not want their homes to smell like vinegar when I leave. I know vinegar cleans fine but the smell puts many people off, including me.

#7 ·
Green cleaning is very essential now days to create better surroundings around us to live. The services provided here are very helpful as users can certainly get knowledge about this topic and other agencies will also update their techniques accordingly.

#8 ·
There is a healthy movement for opting out from cleaning products that pose health and environment risks. Fortunately, there are plenty of natural products and methods that keep a house clean and fresh-smelling without the toxic side effects.

We clean green! - Clean4Real maid services in Jacksonville Fl

#10 ·
Green cleaning refers to using cleaning methods and products with environmentally friendly ingredients and procedures which are designed to preserve human health and environmental quality.
Also, any tips for this. The website you suggested doesn't work anymore.

#14 ·
I use Meyer's Clean Day products. They are plant based, smell divine and clean quite well. I like their Basil fragrance the best. I also use Lysol's hydrogen peroxide All Purpose cleaner. It works like bleach but is safe to use, since it uses H2O2 to clean. I got tired of ruining clothing using bleach products plus I don't think its good to be exposed to the fumes a lot. I do not bother with stuff like vinegar, baking soda, etc. Waste of my precious time plus vinegar smells awful to me. I also like Methods plant based products.

One of my most frustrating things is dealing with those white spots and patches on glass shower doors that come from the hard water in my town. Its almost impossible to remove. One ex customer bought a product that DID remove it although the process was a huge time waster,. I did not write its name down. It was a thick paste that you put on the glass, waited til it dried and then wiped it off. I asked at Lowes and they had no idea what it cold have been. So if anyone out there knows this product, please let me know.

#15 ·
For green cleaning, I particularly like these 4 products:

1. Alkaline ionized water. I found this Japan-made alkaline water that gets off grease and odor when you spray it on a surface. It is also able to take stains off furniture and clothing. The product is completely water-based.

2. Essential oils. Cleaning products made of essential oils also work. These are biodegradable and chemical-free. Coconut, lemon, orange, and eucalyptus are popular essential oils for cleaning. These are usually mixed with water for cleaning purposes.

3. UV sterilizer. There’s a brand called UV care that has a sterilizer for surfaces, rooms, and baby bottles. The appliance uses UV light (the same light used to sterilize medical tools) to kill viruses, odor, and bacteria in a surface or a space.

4. Air purifier. This is a great adjust to cleaning with natural products at home. Air Honest says air purifiers filter the air and prevent dust buildup, removes odors, and helps get rid of allergens. To get rid of dust mites, air purifiers with HEPA filter are recommended.

#17 ·
It really is a rabbit hole when it comes to whether something is truly green or not. And green for the environment plus healthy for humans are two sides to that coin. Uranium, after all, is a naturally occurring ingredient, but I probably wouldn't want something with uranium in it. Still, it's a rabbit hole that's worth looking into, at least at a basic level. All we can really do is to do our best to find the products we think stand behind their claims.

#19 ·
Green cleaning is all well and good but as we all know, as professional cleaners the biggest obstacle we have is that we are constantly fighting against time! Using baking soda to clean a bathroom is all well and good if you have hours to spare, unfortunately, professional cleaners usually don't have that luxury since the client expects a fair amount of work be done in a certain time frame.

Most cleaning companies in Australia have moved away from green cleaning as it just wasn't sustainable for their business model.

#21 ·
Nice, and realistic post. Thanks!
Because I am a sole operator, I am able to pick and choose what products I use. For me, they just HAVE to smell good. AND at least be safe to use. This is why I use Meyer's Clean Day. Plant based, pricey but you dilute it down a lot so it ends up NOT being expensive. Method has some nice stuff too.
Most of my customers tell me they love how the house smells after I clean.

#23 ·
Nice, and realistic post. Thanks!
Because I am a sole operator, I am able to pick and choose what products I use. For me, they just HAVE to smell good. AND at least be safe to use. This is why I use Meyer's Clean Day. Plant based, pricey but you dilute it down a lot so it ends up NOT being expensive. Method has some nice stuff too.
Most of my customers tell me they love how the house smells after I clean.

We like the Meyers and Method products too - we use them and recommend them to our clients. Where possible, we like to use products that are safe and have the least impact on the environment BUT still get the job done!

#24 ·
My only wish is that Meyer's is carried in more stores, and only the same basic fragrances. If you want to try other scents, you have to buy online. The only one I always love using is Basil.

One of big complaints is with certain products, usually Lysol or Chlorox, that have truly obnoxious smells. Gross! Remember Pine Sol? UGH! Reminds me how my grade school bathrooms stunk in the 1950's.

#26 ·
I would say that for indoor air quality a HEPA air purifier would be a good investment. They've come down in price a lot within the last couple years - in my opinion the Levoit HEPA filter models are the best because they remove 99.97% of air pollutants and cost under $100.

FYI: HEPA filters remove 99.97% of airborne particles that are 0.3 microns or larger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.