Has anyone experienced this? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone experienced this?

An offshoot of my residential cleaning service is my pet sitting business. I recently stayed in a new client's home for about 14 days to take care of his dog. When he received the bill, he responded with accusing me of damages in his home that I "supposedly" caused during my stay. His wife (whom he is currently divorcing, and not living in the home) left a voice message mentioning that I needed to apologize for the damage, and I need to rethink being in the cleaning and pet sitting business. Yesterday I received an itemized list of "additional" things that have been damaged. I guess my question is if anyone here has had this experience? If so, if you weren't carrying insurance, how was your experience in small claims court to recover your money? This has completely shocked me as I've never run into this before. Only with a little investigation on the internet did I find out that the house I stayed at is currently in foreclosure, the "accuser" is currently suing a medical company, and the wife is currently suing the condo complex she is living in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to bryanphillips Send a message via Skype™ to bryanphillips
I have not experienced like these, but will take your lessons and take preventive measures, Truly an eye opener for all.
post #3 of Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Wow, I have never had this problem. In order to lose a small claims case they have to prove you did the damage. Unless they have before and after pictures from a verified source and can prove you were the only person with access to the house or have video of you doing the damage they really don't have a case. However, they can do some reputation damage in the mean time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

It's a heck of a position to be in! So the owner said that I either file insurance claims for the damages (that I didn't cause), which would put me in the position of fraud, and once that was finished, he would "consider" making his payment.
I made the decision a few days ago to speak to my lawyer, make my business a LLC, and go from there. I can feel this is going to get ugly, and the most distressing thing is the fact that I/my reputation are being brought into question over things I had absolutely nothing to do with. I just wanted to post this as a cautionary tale to everyone in this business, so please take precautions to protect yourself. Thanks again to the understanding responses.
post #5 of Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM

I think you should contact a lawyer for claim. A perfect lawyer can resolve your problem.
post #6 of Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM

A lawyer in this situation would not be a bad thing.
post #7 of Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys, I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode