Help me out please - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Help me out please

I'm a congenital anosmic (born without the sense of smell) and I'm just learning that smells can linger and/or stick. I have two large dogs and a cat in my home and I've always known that animals have a bad odor, but I didn't realize that the odor can "stick" to the house. I figured that bathing the dogs, changing the litter, cleaning the surfaces and mopping the floors was enough to rid the house of odors. It has recently come to my attention that this is not enough and my house smells bad!!

This really upsets me because I'm a very neat person and I like to keep a clean house. I frequently have people over and I hate the idea that they've been sitting here and smelling my animals without saying a word about it. Please help me figure out what I can add to my cleaning routine to keep the house smelling fresh and clean.

My current routine consists of a deep cleaning every Spring and Fall and painting every 2-3 years. Every Saturday I windex and pledge all surfaces, bleach the bathrooms and mop the floors with pinesol (even the wood floors, although I know I'm not supposed to). I have one large area rug in the living room, which the dogs constantly lay on and may be a major cause of the odor. They're not allowed on the couches, but I worry that the smell has seeped into them as well.

So, the first thing I'll do is get the rug cleaned and wash all of the couch cushions and pillows. I'm starting my Fall cleaning early and I'm taking apart each room, washing curtains, etc. Once I'm done with the deep cleaning, what can I do (preferably on a weekly basis) that will keep my house smelling fresh and clean? I'm not a fan of perfumes, because I can't tell if I'm using too much or too little. I need something that I cannot "overuse" and will help me neutralize all odors. (Getting rid of the animals is not an option. Also, they do not have accidents in the house. What I've been told is that the smell is coming from just them...their bodies, fur, etc.)

Please help me out with a few tips or tricks on controlling odors. Thanks is advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anosmic View Post
I frequently have people over and I hate the idea that they've been sitting here and smelling my animals without saying a word about it.
<snip>
Please help me out with a few tips or tricks on controlling odors. Thanks is advance!!
There are several things on the market than claim to eliminate, rather than mask odors. Fabreeze seems to work well and they have unscented versions.

Something that works re-markedly well is to get an old, clean cotton rag, set it on a plate, light it on fire and let it smolder while you walk around the house with it. It worked when the commercial sprays available at the time did not touch the problem (Funeral home and a dead body that had spent three days under an electric blanket)

But ask your friends to tell you when or even if it gets bad.

Washing the dog(s) and getting your friends to wash the cats is also an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate your response more than you know. I'll definitely be adding some odor "eliminators" to my routine. I'm also looking into some local pet groomers. (I may not be doing a good enough job bathing them.) Thanks so much for the tips and ideas.

As for the cotton rag, it sounds like the exact "fix" that I'm looking for. Only setback is that I can't smell fire and every room is loaded with smoke detectors. I'm thinking it might be too risky on my own, but I'll keep it in mind for when I have an extra nose around.

Thanks again.
post #5 of Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Eeeww! i hate animal odors
Mike suggest you very well, no need any suggestion. right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode