hiring and craig's list - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

hiring and craig's list

Have any of you had any luck with new employees and craig's list?
I hired one girl in the past, but this last group of applicants was the worse
group of flunkies ever. They can barely send an e-mail, say they are interested,
forget to leave their name, and when I try to get them to commit to an interview,
they fall off the face of the earth. I had knee surgery a couple weeks a go, and its
really tough working, but i don't want to lose clients.I am interviewing someone tomorrow, but she is a referral through my current employee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM

I have had terrible luck hiring off of craigs. I have had some of the craziest people you could imagine show up for the job. I am sure people have gotten lucky, but that is just my two cents.
post #3 of Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM

Same here. Most of my long term employees are referrals.

Last edited by janka; 02-26-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 PM

I have tried Craig's list as well and haven't had much success. I ended up calling my staffing company who provides temporary labor when I need it and they found me a GREAT full time employee.
post #5 of Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Sheesh, just lost my post, hate when that happens.

Okay, the one referral is a go, she was suppose to start today, but she had court!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has worked at a bakery with my employee, so they get along.

The last girl is from CL, is in the the deliverance part of the state, we have big mountains here, and she said there was no work there, She is only 17 and showed up on time even
on a Sunday. I said okay well maybe we can use you in the summer. I think its a good idea to have someone else on board, because you never no if stuff comes up with the new girl, you never know sometimes people just e-mail you and say they can't do it.

But the rest of the lot, one girl showed up with her bf, 0ne guy, I had to get a whole of through his mother, one girl seemed great and then canceled the interview, one guy did nothing(no job) and was going to come, again no response. Last year it was people on employment, this year its problem people with no job and don't want to work.
post #6 of Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Now the new girl to be can't come tomorrow either, court AGAIN,
oh well I'm low on funds anyway, I'll just have to rest and do
some of this work myself
post #7 of Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM

I've used craigslist successfully to get employees. The trick is to get a big list of prospective people and weed out the bad ones. Call them and phone interview them. The ones that seem ok will proceed to the direct interview stage. Sitting down at a coffee shop for 20 minutes will give you a better idea about what kind of person they are. I would never just have someone show up at a job that I hadn't first met. I like to have a large list of backups also. That way if one of your workers gets sick or has an important appointment you can just go down the list and find a replacement. A lot of companies do periodic interviews just to have a bunch of resumes on hand. That way if they need someone right away, they will already have a list.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning
post #8 of Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes,April 1979, I'm learning, no I'm not going to hire someone without first meeting them.
The 20 minute coffee shop thing works well. I make them fill out an application,
and then I ask them a few questions and try to get them to commit to coming in.
Its quite time consuming. I have had some time lately, because I had the knee surgery,
but I've only just started. I guess I have to interview a lot of people.
post #9 of Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM

gotta sift through a lot of people to find "the diamond in the rough" so to speak. I have made the mistake too many time to just settle with the first "okay" potential employee instead if continuing the search until I found an outstanding candidate that would make an excellent employee.

IMO, the "employee stage" presents a whole new set of problems. When you are working by yourself, you run into challenges and problems and you figure them all out eventually. As soon as you are totally confident in doing your work, handling customers, marketing and everything else there is to do to run a business, along comes employees....

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning

Last edited by april1979; 02-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.
post #10 of Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

You got that right April. Its a real experience.

So, the new girl to be is coming in tomorrow. She can't work past three, and we better hope it doesn't snow. I think I'm going to start her at one, possibly two days a week.
I'll see how she does, or if she even makes it in tomorrow, not looking too good so far.
I understand the court thing, everybody has problems, but why didn't she tell me that initially? I think when you go to court they give you notice? And the reasons she gave
for leaving her last two jobs were suspicious.

As for me, I am really hurting. It will be three works tomorrow since I had the surgery. I am trying to take care of myself, but the stress of everything is getting to me. I can only work for about three hours. We are doing an initial clean tomorrow. It is right around the corner from my house. So I figure I'll bring the new girl to be tomorrow, and then after that make a dent in my 6000 square footer.
post #11 of Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 PM

Good luck, people have problems....it sucks. I would say do WHATEVER you can to hang on to people that do work out for you.
post #12 of Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Craigslist is hit or miss. It's like an online dating website, you never really know what you're getting!
post #13 of Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

LOL, fastbrad. like a dating site!

So the new girl has worked two days. One day we worked and were on a mountain and it started snowing and had to leave, and the other day was an initial, she looked a little tired after that. I'm just happy to have help. My plan is to send the two girls out at least one day out of the week, maybe on one of the easier houses, and I can work less!
post #14 of Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM

I haven't really heard anything good about hiring people for this type of work on Craigslist. Only horror stories...
post #15 of Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM

It takes alot of diligence and work to find good workers on craigslist. I went through sooooo many people last summer. Some were good but they were trying to take my clients. Others were sweet as I don't know what but couldn't clean worth anything. And some were trying to captain the ship hahahahaha.

I know what to look for now. Somewhere in between naive and experienced if there is a such thing LOL
post #16 of Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I want to go back to working alone. I've done it before, just have to spread out the week more It just seems unless you're going to do cleaning on a large scale, I end up having a few more clients,and work more to keep the employee busy, but in the end with taxes and wages it seems like I don't end up with a huge difference in profit.
post #17 of Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Nikisclean, I know what you mean. I wonder if they will try to steal clients. The new girl already has one account, but she is not aggressive,
My other employee, is starting to act like they're her clients or something, when I'm the one who seals all the deals as I did yesterday,
speaking of yesterday(a terrible day), this prospective client was a referral, the neighbor told them how much she pays me and he said the neighbor's house was much bigger,
and they only pay x, I almost walked out the door and felt like slapping him, but they signed the deal, but left me in a real bad mood. Their house was also just getting finished with renovation and she was talking about extras right off the bat, and they want a monthly, the only good thing is they are right next to the neighbor.
post #18 of Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM

There are some good people on Craigslist, its just few and far between. Stay persistant and you will find the superstar that you are looking for!

Derek
DiscountVacs.com
http://DiscountVacs.com
post #19 of Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

here's an example :
I'm available whenever! Currently I have nothing consuming my time other than job hunting and spending time on the computer talking to my
long-distance girlfriend, but I'm sure I can manage to pry myself away
from that. Thnaks for keeping me in mind hopefully I can be of some help to you,
So this person, e-mailed me back and forth, he didn't drive, when i said I would pick
him up he vanished, that's happened to me more times than I can count.
there was another one too, more professional, but I had to go through his parents to get to him , again came time for interview, he vanished.

Oh well things are kind of slow right now.

post #20 of Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Sorry you are having such a hard time finding quality people Jeepgirl. I have some peers that are experiencing the same growing pains as yourself. I dont understand it either, they say that unemployment is the highest its ever been so you would think that there would be more of a demand of good people trying to find a job. Also you may want to take it as a blessing that they flake in the begining instead of after you spend the labor dollars getting them trained to your style. Everything happens for a reason!

Derek
DiscountVacs.com
http://DiscountVacs.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode