House rental quote - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to wbell
House rental quote

I have an opportunity to bid for a property management company. 70 homes under management. Low turnover. 1500 sf homes Low income tenants with little to no desire to keep them up.

I did a walk through today. compete cleaning...carpet, windows, sills, floors (vinyl and carpet), bathrooms, kithen cabinets (inside/out), inside/outside of refrigerator and oven, garage.

The one I was in... was a mess. It looked like Animal House after the toga party times 2!

Suggestions on pricing hourly versus fixed rate..? I'm fearful of the fixed rate due to the time it might take to clean just the stove.

On that topic...any suggestions on a product that will help remove a years worth of grease, butter, etc. from a stove?

Thanks again for any assistance!
Wil

Wil Bell
AllShine
Cleaning Services & Solutions
[email protected]
www.itallshines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 PM

We charge a flat rate then up charge for things such as the oven being super nasty. We charge $25 extra for that. First we wipe out all the dry chunks to help get the cleaner onto the actual stuck on stuff. What works well for us is a typical oven cleaner. The ones that require heat. We sometimes might need to do it twice. After that we use the Zep purple degreaser on the tough spots. We also use those metal scrubbers (silver or copper) on the tough spots. 99% of the time the ovens come out looking like new. Make sure to wear a mask if possible and gloves. The fumes are crazy. Also do not forget to lift up the top of the stove and get under the burners. Some places look under there to make sure you got it. Some stoves do not open like that but you can take the drip pans out and get underneath there. We also move the oven out and get underneath it but some places do not require it. It is just part of our policy. If the fridge is super nasty also we charge and additional $25 for that also. I would make sure to let them know up front if you intend on charging them extra. Usually even with the nastiest of ovens and refrigerators two of us can get them done in under 3hrs. One is the expert in ovens and the other in refrigerators. Hope this helps.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #3 of Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

I think up-charging is a good idea. It will probably take longer to clean the stove than the whole house. ;-)

Should I price these like I would any other opportunity (and include the up-charge)?

These are government subsidized, so they will be inspected for cleanliness prior to renting and of course be expected to pass.

Wil Bell
AllShine
[email protected]
www.itallshines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Is this a move out/make ready cleaning?

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com
post #5 of Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Do you have to trash out the homes too? As in, remove abandoned items?

If so, charge by the hour. Seriously...I am fully appreciating the amount of work that has to go into this type of cleaning. Some will be worse than what you saw today!

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #6 of Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

yes... I am positive that I will have to remove trash. I could have a few bags full of trash just from what I saw on the floor today. Truly filthy.

Okay... and I hate to sound so green, but I am when it comes to housing. Where to start price wise? I unfortunately do not have a good feel fo pricing in my area. My experience is really within daycares and flooring. So I do not know what the market will hold...

The last crew was not cleaning everything that was requested, so they are bidding it out.

Wil Bell
AllShine
[email protected]
www.itallshines.com
post #7 of Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM

I personally am a huge advocate for pricing by the hour. I think that is the only way to truly get compensated for your hard work in this type of cleaning. There is too much room for error in "fix" rating the costs prior to doing the work
post #8 of Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 AM

Normally, when a home/apartment is already trashed out, you could get away with flat rate pricing and up-charging. This is for complexes that have maintenance crews come in and get it cleared out so you can focus on the cleaning of the surfaces and appliances. However, you are dealing with a whole different animal. These are not well maintained, will be left in a variety of conditions (count on worst-case scenarios). Most will have a need for trashing out (even furniture!) and just a lot of filth. Each case will be far from "normal".

You may lose your shirt with flat-rate pricing. You'd be tracking upcharges so much that you'd end up driving yourself nuts just documenting what was done to justify the upcharges. It will also leave the property management company/contractor feeling like they are riddled with extra charges and a bad taste in their mouth on an invoice that has a laundry list of upcharges glaring at them on each invoice. If you had a simple invoice with the hours spent on each home, they can quantify that and absorb it much easier.

What may take one home to be done in six hours may take twelve on another. Imagine the list of upcharges!

Then imagine an invoice with one line that says "Six hours of labor" or "twelve hours of labor". Much simpler and more pleasing to the eye.

And its fair for you. Just consider it!

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #9 of Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM

This may be a project you may want to hand to a more experienced company. There is no way in heaven you are going to estimate accurately. This is a project for a multi crewed company experienced in PM contracts that will employ subs for the heavy cleanout. With no disrespect to any advice given above, you cannot bid a PM job by the hour. They will want a concrete number. I doubt the contract will be open for upcharges or change-orders either.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #10 of Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

All valid feedback and suggestions... thank you all. It is always good to have input from those that have 'been there, done that'.

I confirmed that I would not be moving anything out of the homes. It is strictly cleaning them.

I bid an hourly rate at the top end of my scale and got it.

Thanks again for all the feedback and support!

Wil Bell
AllShine
[email protected]
www.itallshines.com
post #11 of Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Great Job, Wil ! Congrats.

So you actually got them to accept, "here is my billing rate x however many hours it takes me?" You must be a good salesperson.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #12 of Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Congrats! That sounds like a much better scenario. Trashing out apartments is NO fun.

Let us know how it goes.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #13 of Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM

We trashed out once and never again. That is great that you do not have to do that. You never know what you are getting into with trashing out or what you might find. We were in an apartment once and not only found a bunch of things associated with drugs but also a knife was up in the top of the closet. One of the girls was wiping the shelf in the closet above her head and when she wiped it came flying at her face. She barely caught it. Now we have a policy to always get a stool and check everything before you stick your hands anywhere. You just never know. Be careful!

Kendra
www.busybeesclean.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode