How do I disinfect my vacuum hose? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

How do I disinfect my vacuum hose?

I have a vacuum with an electric hose so I can't use water... What can I use to disinfect the hose? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM

Disinfect vacuum hose

You Will Need:
  • A wire hanger
  • A broom or mop
  • A garden hose
  • Dryer sheets
  • White vinegar
  • Scissors
  • A lint-free cloth
Steps to Clean the Vacuum:
Unplug the vacuum.
  1. Remove and empty the vacuum canister or remove and replace the vacuum bag.
  2. Clean the vacuum filter and rinse the canister with water if needed. Cleaning the filter will usually remove any odors from the vacuum exhaust.
  3. Straighten a wire hanger and use the hanger to poke through any clogs in the vacuum hose if needed. Be gentle to avoid puncturing the hose.
  4. Wrap a broom or mop handle with dryer sheets; use duct tape to hold the dryer sheets in place. Use the broom handle to dust the inside of the vacuum hose with the dryer sheets; be gentle so as not to crack or damage the vacuum hose. A garden hose can be used instead of a broom or mop handle if desired.
  5. To sanitize the inside of the vacuum hose, tape paper towels around the broom or mop handle, dampen the paper towels with a diluted white vinegar solution of one part vinegar with two parts water and swirl the broom handle inside the vacuum hose to apply the vinegar to the hose surfaces. Vinegar is an effective odor remover and will also kill 99% of bacteria.4 Allow the vinegar to dry completely before turning on the vacuum to avoid any liquid damage to the system; you will know the vinegar is dry when you can no longer smell the vinegar odor.
  6. Lay the vacuum on its side and cut out any hairs or threads from the beater brush with scissors.
  7. Check the belt of the beater brush for any cracks or wear and replace the belt if needed.5
  8. Spray the beater brush and vacuum attachment brushes with diluted vinegar. Spin the beater brush by hand to spray all sides of the brush. Allow the vinegar to dry completely before using the vacuum. Do not let the vinegar get on the rubber belt or any other rubber parts of the vacuum, as the acid can degrade the rubber over time.
  9. Wipe the surfaces of the vacuum and the cord with a damp cloth.6 Be sure the cord is unplugged before wiping.
  10. For a more thorough cleaning, inspect your vacuum for any screws or check the vacuum manual to determine how to take apart your vacuum. Dismantle the vacuum and wipe all surfaces with a lint-free cloth dampened with diluted vinegar. Be sure not to allow any liquid to drip onto any electrical parts and allow the vinegar to dry completely before reassembling the parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode