How do you deal with dust resettling? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

How do you deal with dust resettling?

Usually I've got no problem with dusting, but I did a house recently that had all hard wood floors with very few rugs, and mostly dark stained wood furniture with very few cloth upholstered furniture. I would dust a desk (for instance,) and as soon as I turned around, the dust was there again, and it was very visible because of the dark color of the desk.

I always use a slightly damp MF cloth for most low surface dusting. High surface, I use a bendable MF covered wand.

Any tips? I don't use disposable products like swiffer, so that's out of the question, and no pledge/dusting spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Smile

The solution I have found for situations like this is kind of a pain in comparison to just a swiffer duster, but works well. The easiest way is to look in yard sales, thrift stores, ebay, etc., and find an older hand-held vacuum. (the older ones that used to come standard with the Orek vacuums are great and sometimes you can find them as cheap as $10) If you want to sink the money into a new one, in the long run, I think its worth it.

These are also helpful for fans, baseboards, around door frames, and ceiling corners. This way, the dust gets sucked up, never to fall back again! (never get a face-full of dust from a ceiling fan again! lol) When all else fails, I have even used my shop vac with extensions on it (especially for high ceilings). Its a pain to lug around and is quite loud, but for the exchange of quality, it kind of evens out.

Hope this helps!!
post #3 of Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Post dusting

When I worked in the janitorial field, we used liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle, we just sprayed some either on our duster or on a rag just a little bit to get the rag damp, don't over spray or you will end up with streaks, learned that the hard way. The fabric softener turns the rag/duster into a swifter.

Look in janitorial supply, they have this spray that you can spray on a dust mop to help catch the dust bunnies/ dust better than just a regular dust mop.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by rtftcleaning; 04-30-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: forgot some info on hard wood floors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Dust that has sat for a long time can be a pain to remove--there's just SO much of it! Like many have said above, some of the best cleaning solutions are to regularly maintain the cleanliness of one's home. The longer dust, fire, and water damage repairs are avoided, the more problems your home will have in the long run. I'd hire a professional cleaning service in your area to take care of the initial massive cleaning. Then the rest is up to you--dust your home regularly, change your air filters frequently, and make it a priority. This will keep your home looking beautiful for many years to come!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode