how to handle demanding client - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

how to handle demanding client

I'm sure this has come up before, but I recently started with a new client.
The good thing is they are right around the corner, so low fuel costs and travel time..

I had worked for them once before now they bought a house, Its not that big, but there was a lot of built up dirt because it was never initially cleaned. So it took us longer on the second visit. I was going to go myself on the third visit to reevaluate the time.
Now before I even wake up, I get a long winded e-mail about doing cleaning chores that are clearly not in the agreement, (i.e.tall ladder, etc.) I don't even like the idea of using a tall ladder,.

So since the job is already running overtime, and plus she is pushing me to my limits for a rate that really needs raising. I usually put an hourly rate for extras in my agreement, but these people are clearly not going to want to pay extra, So should I just tell them I don't do those chores, extra hourly rate, or increase in flat rate? I somehow think they are not going to go for any compromise. Honestly , I don't have this problem much when I do the agreements, you would think they would at least offer to pay extra, nut she just talked about leaving the flat rate there.

My phone is starting to ring again, so maybe I don't need them.

-jeepgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM

What I suggest that you do is to immediately draft up a list of what exactly Is included in the price that you quoted and what you will have to charge extra for. Give this list to all existing customers and any new clients who come on board. Then stick to the list, that way you wont feel pressured to give away your services
post #3 of Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I only have a partial list, really need to work on that, just this WE I told someone ovens were extra and they gave me a look. Does anyone get on tall ladders for general cleaning? i think its asking too much, and an accident waiting to happen, I don't have a problem with climbing on something or a step ladder.

For now, I think I'm going to tell her there's a time limit in the price, and after that extra hourly rate, I already tell that to people but they seem to ignore the extra, I'll just have to leave them a bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM

it is in our agreement that we do not use anything over a 2 step stool on a normal basis and that if we are required to use a ladder of any sort taller than that we are to be paid extra to do so
post #5 of Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

I've got to re do my agreement. I sent her a copy, and said no ladders, and anything over 5 hours is extra, of course no reply back, I don't care though, because I'm going to start picking up starting next week, maybe she needs a different kind of service, like a slave service, And to top it off she shorted me 10 bucks on each cleaning, I let her know that.
post #6 of Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Update on this, this lady is driving me nuts. I think after the next cleaning, that's going to be it, better to stay home than work for these people.

And another lady whose house was under construction, said she wasn't happy with the results. I told her there was a time limit and couldn't be completed in one visit.
Its a rare complaint, but I think there's some people that are very hard to work for, and try to push you to your limit.
post #7 of Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 AM

I'm sure you have already made your decision about your dilemma as I am searching the "fossil" archives.
I agree with you!!
Adults are JUST little kids with more money.
They push the boundaries to keep their CONTROL intact.
It becomes VERY dis-heartening but if I didn't have to struggle with 4 or 5 accounts, how would I appreciate the other 20?
post #8 of Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM

we have a lot of demanding clients, and to be honest, we got to the point where it was just too much and we dropped them. It is more of a hassle to work for a demanding client who will not budge from their point of view.
post #9 of Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Oh and I forgot to say, that you should tell them that you do not perform those duties. And if they are insisting that they need it done, charge more. If they don't want to pay more, you can let them know that you can't offer that service for so and so reasons (maybe safety)? In our company, we don't like dealing with clients like this, so we have the mentality that they can either take it or find someone else who may not do the job as well as we do.
post #10 of Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM

it is not that hard to replace a trouble client, just go flyer and get a better client.

It is a process of weeding out the problem client and eventually having a roster of good clients. I got really good a telling if they were going to a problem even before I started and often would quote high to make sure i was compensated for my trouble.

Learn how to Start a cleaning business with the Cleaning Up Business System. Better than a franchise at a fraction of the cost! Since 2004 we have helped hundreds start their own cleaning service.
post #11 of Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM

Ladders? Hhmm, never risk injuring yourself because they will not want to be liable for it. Secondly, as a cleaning service (depending on the type you are), there a certain things that you do and don't do. Now if what your clients is asking you to do is something outrageous and not in your agreement simply tell them, if not, show him/her your contract agreement.
Once again, never risk injuring yourself.

Marjorie's Detailed Cleaning
Bradenton, fl and Ellenton, Fl
marjoriesdetailedcleaning.com
post #12 of Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 AM

Hey there Jeepgirl and Theresa!!! Looooong time no see! Especially you Theresa! By the way, you might check your insurance because I know back in the day we couldn't use a ladder unless we upgraded to a window washer type of insurance with one insurance company and the other said we couldn't go up over 3 rings. So I had to call and ask what exactly 3 rings were... it's insurance talk for 3 steps. lol

We need to catch up Theresa!
post #13 of Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM

I got out of the habit of letting customers choose me~I want happy customers and those that fit with the work that I am both skilled at and comfortable doing.I have a list (scope of work) for what the customers asks me to price out on the first visit.I have them sign the list with the price on day one.
I'm happy to do the extras for additional money,but I do not work for free...
I have found that when a customer starts to get pushy it doesn't stop and I personally find a replacement
post #14 of Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM

The will need to pay extra.
post #15 of Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Just be patient and don't loose your nerves. Address aggressiveness with calmness. Provide some extra benefits in order to keep them. Once you got a demanding client to call you again he/she is yours.
post #16 of Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Do you guys put your clients on contracts? We do a pay as you go type of thing. It seems that most of our clients are comfortable that way. We explain everything that is included in the cleaning up front. We have ran into a couple customers who continue to ask us to do more than the agreement. Typically I will explain again to the customer what is covered in the service, but there have been a few that have bailed immediately when we don't agree to do the extra work with no additional charge. . While we would like as many customers as possible, I have found it much easier to let a difficult customer go & replacing them with a new customer who is looking forward to our service.
post #17 of Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM

We've had to break up with a few demanding clients. People who don't understand what our cleaning includes and doesn't, they will just leave a list-we've been asked to landscape the backyard, put up christmas decorations for them, alphabetize their book collection, etc. Sometimes we will send an email saying "A cleaning company is great fit for a lot of people but not for everyone" and suggest maybe finding a personal housekeeper on a website like care.com where they would be able to address your personal errands/extras without a time restraint or extra charge.
post #18 of Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 PM

Extra work is extra pay...period
Leaving them a bill won't work because they won't pay it
If a client leaves a list for extras and a check for the normal amount, fine.
Do the work you agreed on and leave them a note saying that you will be glad to handle this list of extras on the next visit and the cost is $$$
You have just let them know nicely that you do not work for free, and what the
cost for the additional services is.
When/if you return they have not left the additional monies just do your normal job and forget it.
People will try anything once,its your job to politely keep the relationship on
the right track, and you must do that the FIRST TIME this happens.
If you let them get away with it once you will set yourself up for more of the same.
http://selz.co/1MugaHl
There are many tricks that they use...
One of my favorites: "You don't need to vacuum and dust the second bedroom today, but clean the oven for me!"
Or While your here could you clean the windows in the living room I have company coming for the weekend.
Its a whole lot easier to vacuum and dust a bedroom than clean the oven, not to mention the HUGE time difference.
So, what are you going to say when this happens.I know what I did.
How about trying to work double time doing the house and now she has you feeling a sense of urgency to clean her windows remember her friends are coming for a visit.What do you say?
How do you respond to this slick con artist?
post #19 of Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM

5 Ways to handle demanding client

1. Show Clients You Know what You are Doing
2. Donít be Complacent with Work
3. Keep Clients Informed
4. Offer prompt solutions
5. Be Mega Patient with them

No matter how good you believe you are with your clients, there will always be some ready to cramp you with complaints, and haplessly push you towards the edge. Always bowing down to your clients may not be a great idea, and sometimes the only way to handle them is to stand up to them to convince them of the credibility of your work and opinions. Who knows, that may actually be the key to winning a stand-off with a difficult client?

End of Lease Cleaning Perth
post #20 of Old 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM

doesnt hurt to ask.

Second money is much easier to get than first money. Asking for additional hourly rate for the extra chores wouldnt hurt you. Its more likely for them to accept the fee than not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in