How many employees is too many for a residential cleaning business? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

How many employees is too many for a residential cleaning business?

I pretty much inherited the cleaning business and I'm enjoying it (not sure why). We've been running for a couple of years now and we are growing.(YAY!)
But recently, the competition is kind of rough. Some are lowballing to a point where you just can't compete with. Anyways, we have about 200 or so regulars that do either weekly or bi-weekly and we currently have 12 employees. At this point I'm really not sure if we should be cutting manpower to stay stable or risk getting more for possible expansion. Any thoughts on these matter?

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Personally the only thing that would be on my mind is getting more customers. Just think of the time you've spent thinking about the competition and whether to keep or get rid of employees.... if you would have spent that time getting customers you could have probably got at least ONE new customer if not more. I think forward, not behind. I also have no idea what anyone else charges.... I go get customers at MY price.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.
post #3 of Old 01-30-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Personally the only thing that would be on my mind is getting more customers. Just think of the time you've spent thinking about the competition and whether to keep or get rid of employees.... if you would have spent that time getting customers you could have probably got at least ONE new customer if not more. I think forward, not behind. I also have no idea what anyone else charges.... I go get customers at MY price.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.
We still do our usual marketing stuff. I personally do most of them and get quite a bit of turn ins. It's just that I'm confused as to how we should go from here. Should we focus on stabilizing the finances or should we risk it and expand?

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com

Last edited by PD_Lape; 01-30-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM

Where is your business located?
post #5 of Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 AM

I think you can assess what are the unique selling points that your business has, what separates it from the competitors. In that way you can justify your pricing to your clients, also you do not have to give in to the pressure of competitors you have to provide quality services. I think 12 employees is sustainable , you can consider getting more clients. Its just my take ,

domestic cleaning services cape town
post #6 of Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Only employ as many people as you need, without putting too much work load on little employees.

What I mean is, don't cut down just to save money if it will make the employees you keep have unbearable amount of work to do.
You must find a balance, but if you have around 300-400 clients / month and 12 employees, you should be fine with that amount considering regulars typically pay the same every week.

Also I did some math, and at 350 gigs / month with 12 employees, it averages out to one place / day per employee. That is very manageable where you are at today.
post #7 of Old 02-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Staff

I believe 12 employees are okay at the moment however you may need to expand once you go out and get more business. However, if you think your prices are reasonable then keep them where they are. You'll be surprised to see how many people choose quality over quantity!
post #8 of Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 AM

I believe 04 employees are okay at the moment however you may need to expand once you go out and get more business. However, if you think your prices are reasonable then keep them where they are. You'll be surprised to see how many people choose quality over quantity!
post #9 of Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM

I am new to this and am wanting to start my own cleaning business, what is a good wage to pay your employees?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode