Living with hardwood floors - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Living with hardwood floors

How do you do it? Seriously.

We have hardwood floors in the entire downstairs. About 1200 sq. ft. of them to be exact. How do you clean them?

We have a big shop vac and will use that on them. On rare occasions I actually pull out the mop and will mop them but then my back hurts for a couple days and I can do nothing!

We have 2 dogs and currently 1 cat. The cat and one of the dogs are short haired and not a big shedding problem. The other dog though is long haired. And I mean pretty long. His tail is around 6 inches! So we have fur everywhere. I try to sweep it but it just blows around.

So how do you care for your floors? I am lucky if I vacuum once a week because dragging the shop vac through the house kills my back. It is not fun. Other than one of those fancy Dyson vacuums, I have not found one that will work on hard wood floors & we just can not afford the cost of a Dyson. I really like vacuuming if it is with an upright so if we could afford the Dyson, I would vacuum every day b/c the upright does not hurt my back.

I really hate to admit my floors stay dirty but they do. I just don't know of an easy on the body solution to keeping them clean.

Any advice??? I want clean floors!!!

Katty

Waste Removal Toronto

Last edited by katty; 10-15-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 PM

I just posted the SAME thing on here a couple days ago wondering the same question, but I can't find my post

Hopefully their will be some replies! I'm in desperate need to hardwood floor assistance!
post #3 of Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Hardwood floors

You mite want to get a microfiber dust mop. If you have a bad back this mite be what your looking for. There not heavy. I think you can pick them up at Homedepot or Lowes. Then you can get at the same store a microfiber flat mop to do your mopping with, Dont forget to purchase a good nuetral cleaner for your wood floors. Try stay away from real soapy and Murphy oil soap as they will both leave a residue that will give your floors a dull look. Hope this helps. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 PM

I use a Hoover canister vacuum that costs about $130. I love it - I've been very happy with it so far, and have been using it 5x a week since February.

I vacuum wood floors first, then mop with the Rubbermaid Reveal microfiber mop and Bona cleaning solution. I don't like the Bona mop, but I love the cleaning fluid, so I use it in the RR mop. Great results!
post #5 of Old 04-08-2015, 04:03 AM

Regular hoovering is needed especially if you have a shedding pet. Sweeping will not help. If you do not have the time or your back hurts you do not have to mop every time you vacuum, every other time should work. Do not use a mop that is too damp.
Cleaners Barons Court
post #6 of Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Regular cleaning is recommended if you want clean and safe floors. You can call professionals occasionally like twice a year or something like that.
post #7 of Old 06-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Cleaning hardwood floors is not an easy task. There are certain tips that can reduce your burden:

> Wax clean yearly
> Try to vacuum clean on a daily basis
> Use a mop that comes with a dusting agent
> Using tea bags with boiling water is another great tip. The tannin acid present in tea makes the hardwood floors shine at their best

Cleaning the floor regularly will help a lot and make it easier than piling up and cleaning occasionally.
post #8 of Old 07-08-2015, 01:40 AM

As far as your question is concerned, in my opinion, whether you have hardwood or laminate flooring, you should avoid wet mopping as it can leave excess water behind that seeps into the floor grooves, damaging the flooring underneath. Always take time to squeeze out the excess water from the mop to eliminate this issue. You should also avoid using steam cleaners and power cleaners. When you use a cleaner, spray it onto a dry or damp cloth and then clean a specific area instead of applying cleaner right on the floor, which can compromise the color. Nice share.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode