Mold In Old Home - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Mold In Old Home

My family is about to move into a home built in the mid 40s. It is currently being worked on, and we plan to move in next month as long as the floors are sanded, carpets are in, and fresh paint is on the walls. We are still moving in even if the house is done or not, as far as the half bath and closets additions. But before we do, I'd like to get rid of any mold that exists in the home as I've seen some around the house when we toured it. Are there any mold and bacteria bombs or fumigators? You know, the ones that comes in a can and you leave it in the empty house for like 24 hours or so. I want to make sure that the house is at least sanitized before we move in. And what else can I do to sanitize the house? I have 2 little kiddos, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I myself is sensitive when it comes to polluted air, and I believe my kids are too as they get sick easily often.
heatherlynn is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Even if you are able to locate all the mold and clean it up, if you don't remove the source of moisture it will come back. If you have any concerns about mold, I'd talk to a professional about having a mold test performed.
Organic Cleaner is offline  
post #3 of Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dulles, Virginia
Posts: 9
As an expert in water damage and restoration, I can tell you that your best bet is to find an experienced professional in your area to rid your house of mold. While mold (and its bacteria) can form from a variety of things, one of the main reasons it develops is from neglected water damage repairs that have sat for a long period of time. The longer water damage is left untreated (whether its in your carpeting, basement, whatever), the more likely it is that mold and bacteria will form--this is gross! That's why its so important to do water damage clean up immediately--and why you'll probably need to hire a professional cleaning service for your home.
servicemasterfairfax is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4
HeatherLyn, there is no "bomb" that can get rid of the mold for you. The only way to get rid of mold is to remove it manually. If it's on drywall it needs to be cut out. Please be aware though that in a house built in the 40s you will probably also have asbestos in the drywall (probably in the joint compound) and probably lead-based paint to. Please consult with a professional mold removal company first before you try taking care of anything like mold by yourself - especially if there are kids involved.
PuroClean Sacramento is offline  
post #5 of Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 40
I think you better hire professionals for the job. However, tell them about the age of your kids and i think they will come up with some ideas. Hope so!
David Stainberg is offline  
post #6 of Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Junior Member
WilliamB's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 27
Getting rid of mold for good is hard to do. Even when you think it is all removed, it'll come back eventually.... unfortunately.
WilliamB is offline  
post #7 of Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 192
especially if the house is old. It's pretty normal that old houses are the perfect place for mold and mildew growth.

lisaheader is offline  
post #8 of Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
It's better to find a professional to get rid of mold!
NeoGills is offline  
post #9 of Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 155
Yes, I think as your situation said you should contact a good and reputed cleaning companies. These cleaning services have well equipped tools and they have given good results.
melijack is offline  
post #10 of Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Mold removal in Maine or any other state should be handled by a professional mold removal / remediation company.

What Causes Home Mold?
Mold becomes a problem inside a home or business when there’s excessive humidity or moisture for an extended period of time. The problem can originate from sudden water releases, like a burst pipe or large spill that goes untreated, or from a chronic condition, such as a leaking roof or plumbing. Even high humidity or warm, moist air condensing on cool surfaces can trigger mold problems. It’s always best to have the mold evaluated and removed by a certified professional. Make sure the Mold Removal Company in Maine or any other state is an IICRC certified firm in the area of mold and microbial remediation.

Learn How to Select a Mold Remediation Contractor.

Hope this helps!
Robert York
Owner Octagon Cleaning and Restoration
Mainecleaners is offline  
post #11 of Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
A proper mold removal and basement waterproofing should leave your basement smelling clean and more or less just like the rest of the house.
Merrill Braidy is offline  
post #12 of Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Great tip
victoryproject is offline  
post #13 of Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Homes with pool gives you a lot of benefits some time, you don't need to go out for swimming, free to swim anytime and as much as you want, no need to travel here and there for a search of a good swimming pool. Today’s pool and spa owners have a wide choice of interior finishes when remodeling a pool. The right swimming pool finish will make all the difference in the aesthetic quality of your pool. A high quality finish will also affect the durability of your pool investment.So,please share me more information about it buddy you can do it????????????
Dean72 is offline  
post #14 of Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 22
Can we burn them out?
wilburngweston is offline  
post #15 of Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 29
I think once you should hire a mold cleaner service before moving there. As it is an old house and you have kidos, so safety is the most important thing.
PamelaClark is offline  
post #16 of Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
robertmatheka's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario,CA
Posts: 252
Water damage odor is typically the result of mold growing in your home. The best way to deal with water damage odor is to prevent it from happening in the first place by keeping the area dry and circulating the air. The key to mold control is moisture control. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
robertmatheka is offline  
post #17 of Old 12-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 104
Professional people can help you.
briana26 is offline  
post #18 of Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 47
I also agree with all the comments above. Entrust this work to the professionals as they know how to remove mold right. Health of your family is above all, so it's better to not wait and get down to work the soonest.
If you want I can recommend you a good website to look for mold removal contractors. Here it is:
There is a lot of contractors who can do this work, but you can also type in the search bar "mold" and you'll see the exact scpecialists in it.
Andrew5 is offline  
post #19 of Old 12-30-2015, 04:13 AM
Senior Member
robertmatheka's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario,CA
Posts: 252
Great article you have shared.Ozone is very good solution if you have mold, fungus, rot, etc. in your walls etc. and you cannot afford the professional ozone treatment which may cost thousands of dollars. It will just take longer.Our high grade machine puts out a lot of ozone, but it may take several weeks of monitored running to clean up your problems. It is a known fact that ozone kills mold, but since the rest of your individual situation is unique, it is up to you to judge how long to run the ozone.Nice sharing.
robertmatheka is offline  
post #20 of Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 97
Molds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. The best way to control mold growth is to control moisture.

SteamPro Carpet Cleaning | Long Island | Nassau | Suffolk
steamprony is offline  

bacteria , mold , sanitize

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simple step for mold remove at home mold removal tampa General Discussion 6 04-13-2013 07:06 AM
Black Mold And How To Stop Mold In Houses Contractor Florida General Discussion 0 01-12-2010 12:08 AM
The Dangers of Mold in your Home or Office mold removal tampa Business 0 10-05-2009 06:27 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome