Moving into a house with dog odor - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Moving into a house with dog odor

I'm moving into my boyfriend's house, its only 3 years old but its been him and a roommate the past year, they both had a large dog, his is a lab. For me to move in, the lab had to go outside permanently, and the roommate and other dog are gone, we're replacing all the carpet and padding in the house, stripping the wood and tile floors and having the house deep cleaned.
There's no urine smell, it just smells like dirty dogs (labs stink, and these guys didn't take care of the house). My question is, is replacing the carpet, stripping the floors, and deep cleaning the house going to be enough to get rid of the dog smell? Is there anything I could be doing? This is a really big, expensive custom built house, I hate seeing it so badly taken care of!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-26-2017, 02:41 PM

yes. what you are doing will most likely take care of the problem. Carpets absorb odor as do carpet pads. It is possible that the smell may have penetrated the paint but I doubt it. Do the carpets and see what it is like. I think you will be happy. Just make sure to regularly clean the new carpets going forward.

Matt
Smith Brothers Carpet Cleaning
post #3 of Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 AM

I had to smile, reading your post. I hate "dog smell", too. I feel fairly sure what you are doing will help. I have read that vinegar/water is especially good at getting rid of pet smells.

Another smile was because I wondered if you think your boyfriend is going to change his messy ways! Dont count on it. LOL!
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-20-2017, 03:38 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurak14 View Post
I'm moving into my boyfriend's house, its only 3 years old but its been him and a roommate the past year, they both had a large dog, his is a lab. For me to move in, the lab had to go outside permanently, and the roommate and other dog are gone, we're replacing all the carpet and padding in the house, stripping the wood and tile floors and having the house deep cleaned.
There's no urine smell, it just smells like dirty dogs (labs stink, and these guys didn't take care of the house). My question is, is replacing the carpet, stripping the floors, and deep cleaning the house going to be enough to get rid of the dog smell? Is there anything I could be doing? This is a really big, expensive custom built house, I hate seeing it so badly taken care of!
It’s the one downside of being a dog owner. Honestly, I haven’t found any miracle to eliminate the dog smell that has been troubling my mother for quite long now . But I can't take my Max away just because of his odour. We love each other unconditionally. So the second option is to create a fresh environment that can take out this smell.
Check whether your soft furnishings are washable (check the care label), If yes, using your washing machine can make the dog smell disappear without much effort. Remove the cushion covers, duvet covers, pillowcases, rugs-everything your dog had contact with- and wash them using good quality detergents in accordance with instructions on the care label. If any of your soft furnishings are not machine washable, use baking soda, which is an excellent dog smell remover. It will draw out the odour from the fabrics, leaving them smelling great. Sprinkle baking soda over the smelly area, and leave it overnight. During the first days Max came home, I didn't care much about cleaning the rugs and the urine stains got worse. I had to consult a professional carpet cleaning service in Mississauga for removing the stains. In the morning you can vacuum up the baking soda, revealing a great smell. If your dogs come in from the garden frequently, then this could be one of the main sources of dog odour in the home. Simple brush off won’t be enough to remove the smell from your floor. Instead, use a good floor cleaner which has got the disinfectant effect and safe for pets. As you mentioned the house is pretty big I would suggest you seek help from a house moving cleaning services as it may turn out to be a tiresome process for you to clean every nook and corner.
post #5 of Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Good answer. Its important to use products that wont hurt pets. I have a cat, and would never use anything that isnt safe for him - and me! This includes pest exterminators. I had to interview 4 before finding one who used only safe stuff inside my home, because my cat is indoors only. One of the reasons I like cats is they do NOT have an odor. Cats are very clean and tidy, except of course, the litter box. But cat owners are used to that and generally do not mind.

Good luck to you, with your boyfriend and the now outside only dog. Not fair to the dog, but totally understandable.
Annie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode