Need advice , business is failing - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Need advice , business is failing

I need some help, My business is struggling. Warning, this post is very long.

Some background: I moved to Baltimore in the summer of 2010. I did not have have a vehicle at the time, so my clientele was limited which i was okay with . Plus I had school full time. This year, I bought a vehicle so my options should greatly expand since I can travel further distances. Unfortunately that has not happened. I only advertise on craigslist. Craigslist has been good in term of bringing customers. But this year, I haven't gotten that much response from my craigslist ads. Craig list does not seem to bring in the kind of clientele I want. Most want to pay way under $100. Those who want to pay $100 tend to have mansions. My prices are very affordable. Anywhere between $60 - $150 which I'm thinking is way too low. I only want to clean one home a day. Where else can i advertise? Yelp wants me to pay them $300, and based on customer reviews it does not seem worth since a lot of the customers did not want to pay anything reasonable. Flyer never worked for me. Google also has ad words but that is too expensive. It like $2.50 per click. They gave me $100 free trial and I did not receive one call from it. Any realistic suggestions out there? Especially from those living in Baltimore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Take advantage of free local business listings. Make sure your name is absolutely everywhere (BookMyCity, CitySearch, etc).
Consider offering online booking for your services. This feature can be very attractive to some clients. If you're handing out any promotional materials, be sure to include some kind of special offer. This could be:
- online booking for a free consultation
- a prepaid package of cleanings at a discounted price (this will turn customers into returning customers) - should be able to do this thru BMC as well
- give discounts to clients who refer new clients to you
post #3 of Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Ok, here is what you do and you are guaranteed to get customers.

Make yourself a flyer. At the top put a catchy heading.... maybe like

Everybody’s Workin’ For The Weekend
So Why Spend It Cleaning House?

Bathrooms & Kitchen Disinfected - Dusting - Glass - Vacuuming
Cob Webs - Ceiling Fans - Blinds - Window Sills – Baseboards

Same Person Cleans Everytime
You Control Your Price
In Business Since 20__
Excellent References

Fill in a little more of the flyer but don't say ANYTHING about a price! Let them call you and go to their house and then give them a price. No prices over the phone either. 99.9% of the people that want a price over the phone are other cleaners.

Then at the bottom in large numbers put your phone number.

Did I mention pretty pictures? That's right... I did not mention them because you shouldn't have any on there.

Now buy some paper and print up 1000.

Get in your nice car you just bought and go to a neighborhood you want to work in. Get out of your car and pass out about 200 flyers before taking a break. Then go back and pass out 200 more. Keep your phone and paper/pen with you because sometimes the phone rings within a few minutes... sometimes it rings within a few weeks.
But keep passing them out. They will call... be patient. Do you know how many hours per day you pass out flyers? The same amount of hours you will be cleaning. If you want to clean 3 hours per day then pass flyers out for 3 hours every day. And continue until your schedule is full.

Craigslist is for the people that don't make much money at cleaning. I tried it but I never found 1 person on there that wanted to pay what I charged. I know when my girls worked they didn't want to work for free so I had to charge what they were worth.

Keep us updated on this. If you do what I said you WILL get more customers. Or, go watch Oprah and see how many customers you have at the end of the week. That's what I call the Oprah Marketing Plan. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-10-2014, 11:48 AM

I would get door hangers, look into SEO (search engine optimization), Google Adwords, etc. Good luck!
post #5 of Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Do all of the above!

All good advice, I would do all of it. I will personally help you. I need to see your marketing materials and website. Contact me through the live Chat on my website.

Learn how to Start a cleaning business with the Cleaning Up Business System. Better than a franchise at a fraction of the cost! Since 2004 we have helped hundreds start their own cleaning service.
post #6 of Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 AM

Need advice , business is failing

We owe almost every job we currently have (50 or so) to just 3 customers. Referrals are a huge source for jobs. Talk to your customers, tell them your trying to fill in your schedule and ask them to mention your name to their friends and neighbors. Leave them with business cards and brochures to hand out. Offer them a free house cleaning for every referral you get from them. Most of our clientele have been with us for the good part of a decade so that one free cleaning could likely result in an additional job that brings in $5000 or more each year.
post #7 of Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 AM

Do street marketing yourself. It works really well especially if you are willing to negotiate prices and assure them you can get the job done. I also have the same problem with craiglist so I took down all the threads there. You can do some online marketing through social media but that's way too time consuming and is pretty mediocre in terms of results. Sprint is on point on this one yet again.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode