New to the business - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-27-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Question New to the business

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the business and I would like to know how much would you charge for cleaning a house. Would you charge by the room or by the sq ft of the room or do you just charge by the hour? Also what kind of products would you use to clean. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I don't want to over charge any of my clients and then I just wind up losing a customer cause of my over charging. I was thinking that I would charge $5.00 per window depending on the height of the window and $15.00 per room and if they wanted anything extra like changing linens, cleaning out the fridge I would just charge them $5.00 extra. If this is something someone would approve of let me know but if not I'm willing to take advice from anyone.

Thanks,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Jen

Beware of the pitfall of pricing generically. Not all rooms take the same amount of time to clean. The best thing to do is to sit down and consider what all your expenses are & what your intended profit margin would be. Ask yourself where you plan to be next year and in 5 years.

Set your prices so that you can achieve all of these goals plus!

I say plus because if your plans are to have employees in the future or to make some major equipment purchases, you need to have your costs in line with preparing for those factors as well as just making a living today.
post #3 of Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 PM

First thing I would do is figure out what type of cleaning service do you want to do, for us we only do Maintenance cleaning for our cleints, no windows, and only outside of appliances.

Then I would find out what the going rate is in your area, the national avg is between 20- 40 an hour but,we charge by the job.......

After that, listen to what T says .......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
First thing I would do is figure out what type of cleaning service do you want to do, for us we only do Maintenance cleaning for our cleints, no windows, and only outside of appliances.

Then I would find out what the going rate is in your area, the national avg is between 20- 40 an hour but,we charge by the job.......

After that, listen to what T says .......
Well Tigerpaw the kind of cleaning that I will be doing is like vacuum, dusting, wiping down of applicanes and cleaning out fridges if it's necessary if it's a job where they are moving out cause i will be doing those kind of jobs as well. I will mainly do dusting cause down here in florida with the build up of dust in the homes it's ridiculous and the majority of the people that work don't have time to do there cleaning themselves or they are elderly and they don't have anyone to do it for them. So there is more research that I need to do. Someone told me to call a cleaning company in my area and ask for an estimate on how much it will cost to clean my house and then take it from there cause the majority of the homes in my area and other parts are the same or a little smaller and you can just add or take off a couple of sq ft off of them. but thanks for the advice
post #5 of Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Jen

Beware of the pitfall of pricing generically. Not all rooms take the same amount of time to clean. The best thing to do is to sit down and consider what all your expenses are & what your intended profit margin would be. Ask yourself where you plan to be next year and in 5 years.

Set your prices so that you can achieve all of these goals plus!

I say plus because if your plans are to have employees in the future or to make some major equipment purchases, you need to have your costs in line with preparing for those factors as well as just making a living today.

thanks for the advice peterson
post #6 of Old 10-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Hello Jen,

I use few differant way to price a job.

For full time clients
  • For home cleaning I use $40 per 1000 sq. ft. example 2000 sq.ft. home equals $80 charge
  • Or hourly $45 per hour with a two person team. It is a set price if I charge for 3 hours thats the price every time. Sometimes the cleaning will over 3 hours sometimes under.
The key is to put together a well orginized cleaning routine and fallow it everytime. As time goes on you will learn how much time is need to clean any home that comes your way.
  • For one time cleans I charge by the hour $65 for a two person team
These prices work in my area I am in the middle of the price market.Hope this helps.
post #7 of Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 AM

We "Bid" jobs at $40/man hour based on average Production rates. However, our production rates are above average so actual per hour is closer to $60/man hour. Lots of people make the mistake of learning and getting faster but base thier bids on that production rate. You should be bidding based on an average production rate in order to make the maximum amount possible in your market. If your competitors are bidding or quoting say $35/man hour, then you can bid the same or more depending on your sales ability, but actually make more money because you have developed a faster/more efficient production rate.

If you can do a job in 2 hours that takes the average contractor 3 hours, you should bid it at the 3 hour rate and will still be competitive in bidding. Don't bid it at 2 hours because you will be leaving money on the table.

Hope this makes sense. I type differently than I talk.

BTW, this is how I price our cleaning services, not pressue washing service. That's a secret.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #8 of Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 PM

Let me help you, (I believe we are saying the same thing)

I always bill based on my slowest workers average time. This way my faster workers who are more experienced make more money when they can do the work in 1/2 the time.
post #9 of Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

thanxs

thanks for the advice every 1 they have been helpful. I have one job with this customer that we cut her lawn and she wants me to clean her windows and clean her home and I charged her $270.00 for the job cause we cut her lawn as well. do you guys thinks this is a reasonable thing to charge.
post #10 of Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Jen,

the answer to that question would depend upon how many hours did the job take and did you make a profit after you covered all of your operational costs?
post #11 of Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Jen,

the answer to that question would depend upon how many hours did the job take and did you make a profit after you covered all of your operational costs?
Oh believe me I made more profit than what I thought it would. I made 250.00 of profit and all i spend for cleaning products was 20.00 and it took me 3 hours to do the job.
post #12 of Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM

That was a sweet job then, not many residential cleaning jobs net that high of a profit for that few hours. (BTW when speaking profit - Don't forget your taxes, insurance, and other expenses)
post #13 of Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmcorp4638 View Post
Oh believe me I made more profit than what I thought it would. I made 250.00 of profit and all i spend for cleaning products was 20.00 and it took me 3 hours to do the job.

$90 per HR?, funny! I charge $25-30 per man hr as a basis, I may be selling myself short. I noticed Martins $40 per 1000sq ft. that works out pretty good when I compare that to my jobs. One home for instance is 4700 sq ft, I charge $180 per clean, another home is approx 7,000 sq ft, I get $340 per clean. Perhaps I should bump that up to $50 per 1000sq ft, sounds better to me.

Later, JP
post #14 of Old 12-09-2006, 04:41 AM

I charge 25 an hour for a 1 person job that I do myself... After that I add $20 for each additional person per hour. So if I do a large house with 4 people its 85 an hour. I dont know if thats to high or not..but i'm happy with it and they know the price in advance.What do you all think? To high, fair or to low?
post #15 of Old 12-09-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidinparadise View Post
I charge 25 an hour for a 1 person job that I do myself... After that I add $20 for each additional person per hour. So if I do a large house with 4 people its 85 an hour. I dont know if thats to high or not..but i'm happy with it and they know the price in advance.What do you all think? To high, fair or to low?

I don't know what you pay your help, but $20/hr is what it costs me to pay my Ladies. $14/hr + Worker comp,taxes, Unemployment, etc...

Even The franchises here that only pay $8/hr charge $100/hr for 4 person crew. Where we make our money is by billing at the franchise rates but only need 2 Really good workers to do the work that they do with 4.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #16 of Old 12-16-2006, 06:03 AM

I pay $10 an hour and get $20 an hour from the customer for each individual on site, so that covers workmans comp etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode