Nipping Garage Mold in Bud - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Nipping Garage Mold in Bud

I moved out of an apartment with what appeared to be toxic mold (and became sensitive to it). I made the mistake temporarily storing a few of the items from the apartment in the garage (for 2 days).

It's been about a week. It's rained twice since then. When there's water from rain, the garage makes me sick. When it dries out and I spray some Lysol spray, I feel fine.

What should I do? What product would be best for getting rid of the mold spores quickly and easily? Should I use a dehumidifier or will it just spread the spores? I really want to take care of this quickly.

FYI, there are no visible signs of mold in the garage. This is a 15 yr old house in SE Texas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage Pic.JPG (35.0 KB, 2 views)
golem is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 65
Do you see any visible mold in the garage? Any idea if any drywall is getting wet? If you have any cardboard boxes on the floor and they have gotten wet, I would immediately discard them. Do you just smell the mold or do you see it as well?
Mold Tampa Removal is offline  
post #3 of Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Aside from two horizontal watermarks from a hurricane 3 hrs ago, I see no signs of mold. Besides the two old watermarks, the drywall doesn't get wet. I only spell the mold.

Water in the garage comes from cars after it rains or they leak fluid and there's a bit of water at the bottom of the garage door after it rains.

Water from the front of a car got on a cardboard box and one of the items that I suspected had the original mold spores. So I threw out the cardboard box and replaced it with a plastic tote. I plan to replace all remaining carboard boxes with corrugated plastic boxes.

I'm just unsure what to do about the spores, especially those in the air.
golem is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Bleach fumes are nasty for the eyes, lungs, and your skin.
Merrill Braidy is offline  
post #5 of Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Rapid HotClean's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 53
Always wear a respirator when using bleach.

Rapid HotClean

Call or Text 503-709-3594
Best Roof Cleaning Portland OR
Pressure Washing Portland OR

Last edited by Rapid HotClean; 10-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Rapid HotClean is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Mold Removal Tips mold removal tampa Residential Cleaning 60 05-25-2019 05:07 AM
Remove Black Mold From Your Bathroom Walls Contractor Florida Residential Cleaning 22 05-20-2019 04:45 AM
Five Signs You May Have Mold in Your Home davjohnston77 Residential Cleaning 3 03-22-2015 07:01 PM
Black Mold And How To Stop Mold In Houses Contractor Florida General Discussion 0 01-12-2010 12:08 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome