Oops... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Oops...

What do you do when you accidentally break something?

I know you should just tell people, but I feel so awkward! I'm always afraid... should I offer to pay for the item? what if it's something expensive?

Anyone have some tips on how to tell someone you broke something in their house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 AM

Oops...

Best thing is to be upfront and tell your client about the breakage and resolve the matter. That way you have a good reputation with your client and you will look honest to them. I have been in the same situation with my clients twice and it worked out fine for me. Just remember to be upfront with your clients in any situation that make you feel awkward.
post #3 of Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

^
I have to agree! Just fess up and get it over with. Most of us are only human and most if us will appreciate the honesty. Ive damaged and broken things on several occasions. It kills me to admit my stuff ups but its the right thing to do.....

Last edited by missedaspot; 03-15-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Most of the time, people are surprisingly cool about it if you're upfront! If they're not home, I'll leave a note along with the broken item. If its something like glass, I always do an extra detailed job in that room to assure them that there aren't any shards. If it was something fancy-looking, I take a picture with my phone so I have a record of what I broke. Make sure the customer feels as though you will report any accidents to them, that way, when their teenager/hubby/cat breaks something, they are less likely to blame you.
post #5 of Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM

We leave a comment card that says "we are sorry we broke this, if you would like it replaced please call us and we would be happy to replace it for you."
post #6 of Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maid to Shine View Post
We leave a comment card that says "we are sorry we broke this, if you would like it replaced please call us and we would be happy to replace it for you."
That's a good idea, if you afraid to talk to them, just leave a note and see how they response.

But you have to let them know you broke it.
post #7 of Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM

honesty is the best policy ! happend a few times with us but the customer has always been understanding

Skweeky Kleen are Carpet Cleaners Bristol
post #8 of Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM

I find that the customers are always very understanding. I have never came across one that was rude about it. And yes, honesty is the best policy. They will love you even more for being honest with them that something broke. But do offer to help pay for it.

I have always have offered to help pay when something like this happens, but they never let me pay. They refuse it. I am not sure if it is because I build incredible relationships with my clients or if it is because I find the right ones But it helps build trust.

Now of course I am not saying that you won't run across someone who will get a little up tight. But I personally have never run into this.

Also we don't break things that much either though.

Start Your Own Green Cleaning Business
http://www.CleaningServiceBiz.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode