OSHA documentation? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

OSHA documentation?

Hey all, Im considering growing my business, to do that correctly I need to know the correct documents I need such as OSHA, as a residential cleaning service do I need to carry the documents at all times, in the vehicle and in the clients home? where do I get the info for the documents? Ive been in biz since 96 and never bothered with this garbage but I reckon its time I get it together.

Also does anyone deal with services that require sales tax on only certain jobs performed? in MN we have this rediculous tax law for example( dry dusting-non taxable/ wet dusting-taxable) basically I have been just estimating jobs for years now, I invoice for taxble and non-taxable services. Does anyone have a better way for this? Honestly I think the state wants me to track every single tiny thing I do, wich is a bit of a hassle.

Later, JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Hello JP

You are required to have an MSDS sheet for each cleaners/ chemical that you work with handy in case of accident.

You can located MSDS sheets at any number of sites - here is just one example http://www.msds.com/

We keep a copy of each in our office and I dispatch with each employee or team a notebook that contains copies as well. Each employees should be taught how to read and understand an MSDS as part of their training.

Just a note - You will need to remember to update your files any time a company makes any changes in their formulas.

I hope that helps you out

Ps- that tax situation sounds like a bugger to deal with, thankfully we here in Calif do not have taxes on services (we make up for it though with our workmans comp rates)
post #3 of Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that MSDS site is exactly what I need.

Regarding the sales tax, I was audited 3 or 4 years back, Im telling you the auditor didnt even know what or how we were supposed tax. I made the mistake of not listing the services seperatly on the invoices, so they nailed me 6.5% for all of the services performed for 2 biz years.
I remember trying to figure out what is taxable and what is not. Basically anything involving wet cleaning is taxable, everything dry is not, except vaccuming is taxable and washing dishes is not. Doesnt make sense.
My point is, well I dont know, Big Brother is trying to trap me, mess things up and make my book keeping miserable. All I know is as a Business owner I should be able to hypthetically charge $99.99 for non sales taxable services and $.01 for taxable services. RIGHT? The state shouldnt be able to say anything about it. Am I wrong here?

Later, JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Oh my!!! that gives me a headache just reading it! I think that it is time for the cleaners in your state to band together and start a petition asking for the ban of taxes on "wet" work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode