Oven Cleaning Ideas Needed - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By missannienow

post #1 of Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Oven Cleaning Ideas Needed

In normal residential cleaning, stove/oven interiors are not usually done. But I need to do this with my own oven! Last time I tried to, that caustic stuff burnt my hands. Does anyone have some good tips for making oven cleaning easier and safer???? Help, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-15-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Anyone??? I need ideas.
post #3 of Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Use a pumice stone. You can buy them at the grocery store in the cleaning supplies for a few dollars. It will sound horrible, like its scratching the oven but it isn't. And I kid you not... It will take off even the worst black burn marks. I'll follow with a Brillo pad and magic eraser and looks brand new. The Brillo pads work good on the racks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

That is a good idea. My oven cleaning adventure was a huge mess. I first scrubbed the racks with brillo pads, then spray on Easy Off. I waited the correct amount of time but it didnt get the stuff off so I sprayed them again. Oh, over night I left a bowl of ammonia inside the oven. I had read that trick online but it did not do darn thing!
I sprayed the oven interior and let it sit a long time. That didnt help much so I re-sprayed it. UGH! I have short arms, since I am only 5'3" and it was almost impossible to reach the entire back and top of the oven. I scrubbed and wiped and scrubbed and wiped and eventually - as in about 4 hours later - my oven looked pretty clean. I plan to re-do the racks. What I need to do (I think) is let them sit overnight in water, I guess in my tub. That might help. My cat likes to play in the tub at night (he catches palmetto bugs there, thank heavens!) so will have to close the bathroom door that night.
My arms were tired at the end of that day!

Any other suggestions out there???
post #5 of Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM

I've used the pumice stone on the racks too. But it makes weird grooves in the stone. I don't use any oven cleaner any more. I just spray some all purpose cleaner or even dawn and water and let it sit a while. I'm short too so usually sit on my knees with my head in the oven to reach the back. Lol.
post #6 of Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Here's a trick I use on my outdoor grill racks - spray rack with oven cleaner, put racks in a black garbage bag and let it sit overnight or at least 8 hours. The gunk literally melts off. Light scrub and water rinse. If you have the ability to leave them outside for several hours no reason it would not work for oven racks. You need to wear gloves and keep your face away from the initial vapor that's released when opening the bag up. Hardly a green method BUT those racks just gleam like new and then you can do easy maintenance cleans. Been almost 2 years since I had to resort to that drastic action 🙂
post #7 of Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh, thanks! That seems like a good idea. I dont want to breathe in all those fumes. Nowadays, oven cleaners dont smell as awful as they used to, but they cannot be good for us to breathe it in.
Thank you. I will try that this weekend when I am not working.
post #8 of Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 PM

I don't have any tips as mine is self-clean but I heard a tip almost like the one above your last reply. I heard to put the racks in a black garbage bag with ammonia overnight. Either way sounds legit to me. Good luck to you and your oven!!
post #9 of Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I got it done the old fashioned messy way. Scrubbing. The ammonia in the oven overnight did NOTHING. The Easy Off worked well, but took more than the label said it would. It isnt as stinky as in the past. Or give you that burning feeling (but I DID wear gloves! DUH!)

The racks proved to be the hardest part and I still didnt get them spotless....but a lot better. I used Brillo pads and nearly dislocated my shoulders scrubbing.
gayelynn likes this.
post #10 of Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Hi,
Bowl of Hot Water Method:-

Place a large, oven proof container full of water into your oven on the lowest rack.
Turn the oven onto the highest setting and ‘bake’ for 20 – 30 minutes.
Allow the oven to cool (without opening the door).
Then using a damp cloth, wipe the oven down. The steam will loosen any grime and will just wipe away!

Thanks.

Last edited by kenneth12; 09-29-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of Old 09-29-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

That sure didnt work for me. Old fashioned scrubbing with Easy Off worked. Tiring job. ICKY job!!! But it got done.
post #12 of Old 09-30-2018, 10:16 AM

I don't know where the "ammonia IN the oven" came from (?) but I'm not surprised that it didn't work. I said the "racks should be put in a large garbage bag with ammonia."
Glad you got it clean after all!!
post #13 of Old 09-30-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thatt was advice I read somewhere else online. It said to remove the racks (I did) and then put the ammonia in there. NOT! Waste of time and the smell about gagged me. LOL!

So how are you doing, Gaye???
post #14 of Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 AM

What's the current situation?
post #15 of Old 10-19-2018, 03:35 AM

yeah please share..
post #16 of Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I ended up having to do it the old fashioned way. LOTS of scrubbing using Brillo pads and ordinary oven cleaning. I was very pleased that oven cleaner is no longer so stinky, and nor does it seems as harsh (I did wear gloves, of course.) My arms got a workout, for sure! But it came out very well except for the racks which could use more work but I am not going to fix that.
post #17 of Old 05-12-2019, 05:34 AM

Oven cleaning tips

Mix baking soda with water

In a bowl, mix up 1/2 a cup of baking soda with water to form a paste. Spread the paste all over the bottom of your oven (avoiding the heating elements). I would advise putting on some gloves and using your fingers to make sure the mixture gets everywhere, including the really stubborn caked-on dirt!

Oven racks
Pour some washing powder into a bath of very hot water and put your oven racks into it overnight. All the grime will be easy to remove after a little scrub in the morning. Magic!

If they're not too dirty and you need your bath, try placing them in the dishwasher.

Leave it to rest
Let the baking soda and water mixture do the work overnight

In the morning:
Head to your oven and with a damp cloth wipe away the dried paste. Grab a rubber spatula if you need an extra hand to remove the paste.

Use vinegar & a damp cloth
Finally, pour some vinegar into a spray bottle and spritz the areas that still have baking soda on them. Grab your damp cloth again and wipe the excess bits away. After a quick scrub of your oven racks, place them back in the oven.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode