Please help, I'm not sure what to use are how... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Please help, I'm not sure what to use are how...

Hello everyone

My name's Wendy, I'm a homemaker in Sacramento, CA and I'm quite the little OCD cleaner myself I always keep my house clean and tidy but I could use some serious help with this new project...

I went to my in-laws house over Thanksgiving and something snapped... I cannot go to their house again without cleaning it. It's so bad I can't even describe it, I wish I had taken pictures. They do not clean. ever. The carpets need to be replaced, I'm not even going to attempt that... They're the original carpets from the 60's, they used to be green, now they're black (I'm not joking). They haven't dusted or mopped in probably over a decade. My partner moved out about 10 years ago, her room hasn't been touched in any way, when you walk in you can see about 1/4 of an inch of standing dust on EVERYTHING. I get panicky whenever I go there, I hate touching anything in that house, and I don't even feel comfortable eating there. It's really gross and unsanitary and I'm at my wits end with it...

So here's my issue... they have a giant living room and dining room that's all hardwood. I lived in my last house for 11 years with hardwood floors and regular cleaning kept it looking like new the entire time... this floor however is so far gone I don't even know where to start. If I could I would just nuke it or rip it out completely and start fresh lol. If I had to guess, I would say it hasnt been mopped/cleaned in 10+ years, I don't know if the floors are finished or not, although I don't even know if it was finished originally if the finish is even still there anymore.

I watched about 20 youtube videos on cleaning hardwood floors and read several articles... many with conflicting information (i.e. use vinegar-don't use vinegar, mop-don't mop, etc.), NONE with floors as bad as the ones I'm going to try to clean, and I'm feeling overwhelmed to be honest. The project itself is probably going to take at least a week of going over there everyday all day already- without even touching the floors...

Can anyone give me any guidance by chance? I think I have a plan of attack for the other areas in the house but this wood floor is really making me worried. I don't want to mess it up more if its already too far gone, but I can promise you a simple sweep/vacuum isn't going to cut it, neither is a spray bottle and a swiffer-like pad. I thought about hiring a professional to come over and clean/buff/etc. but I really can't afford that and I know they can't either.

Any help/guidance product/equipment recommendations you all might be able to give would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 AM

and this is your problem why?
post #3 of Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 AM

I think I understand why you are upset. Seeing your family living like that IS upsetting. But in truth, this floor is not YOUR problem. I clean houses and several of my current customers are elderly. They simply cannot clean, so I do it for them. And I always try to do ther best job possible.
I would suggest you hire a Pro to clean their floor. It IS overwhelming!!! You can do much of the other cleaning, but why burden yourself with it all? There is no shame in hiring someone. You can post this on Care.com or Thumbtack and get back several quotes. Its all easy to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-08-2019, 01:38 AM

Tell them to hire a weekly house cleaning service. I guess this might work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode