Policy Question self employed (no employees) - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Policy Question self employed (no employees)

I work by myself and don't get any perks like days off, vacations, holidays, etc.

If one of my customer's cleaning days falls on a holiday I will clean their home. Was thinking of having a policy >> If they don't want me there say on Thanksgiving, I will expect to be paid for that day.

If I cancel a cleaning (haven't missed one in 10 years) then the customer doesn't pay. If they cancel, I expect payment.

Just wondering how you might go about this...

Part2
Has anyone ever taken their bi-weekly customers and given them the option to pay first of the month, for the month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 AM

I don't think anyone wants you on there on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Maybe a lesser holiday like Labor Day. We don't work any of these holidays, and we adjust our weekly schedule accordingly - moving clients to different days, and starting earlier, etc. Would NEVER expect a client to pay because they did not want you there on Thanksgiving.
As far as monthly payments, we have a few clients who are weekly, and they pay at the beginning of the month for the whole month. It was their choice, just easier than writing a check every week.
post #3 of Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydyelady View Post
I don't think anyone wants you on there on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Maybe a lesser holiday like Labor Day. We don't work any of these holidays, and we adjust our weekly schedule accordingly - moving clients to different days, and starting earlier, etc. Would NEVER expect a client to pay because they did not want you there on Thanksgiving.
As far as monthly payments, we have a few clients who are weekly, and they pay at the beginning of the month for the whole month. It was their choice, just easier than writing a check every week.
Since I work alone and have a full schedule it's not possible to move customers around. That's why I want to just have the customers pay by the month and the payment is the same even if a holiday falls on their cleaning day they have "the option" of having me clean or paying me not to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 PM

My husband and myself are sole cleaners - we work as a team. I do understand having a full schedule, as we do too, and it gets very busy around holidays. People do not want you there on a holiday - they want cleaning before the holiday, or after if they are not going to be home. We work very long days before holidays - that's just the way it is. Frankly, if you were my cleaner, and told me your proposed policy, I would find someone else.
You can, of course, do what you wish, but you asked for an opinion, and we too are a small company, a 2 person operation, and that's what we do. One of our weekly clients, who pays for the month in advance, usually gives us a day off during the Christmas week, or Thanksgiving week. But like I said, we would never expect someone to pay because their day fell on a holiday.
Usually we try to set the schedule in advance - leaving a note 2-3 weeks ahead, telling them, due to ___ holiday, their cleaning day and time has been rescheduled to (whatever day).
I hope you find a solution to your problem.
post #5 of Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Can you move them to a different day? We have different prices for weekly, biweekly, and monthly. If they skip thanksgiving then it would be more the next time.
post #6 of Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM

I have been doing this for 19 years and have still not figured out protocol for cancellations.
One thing I do and have ALways known is that a Holiday is NOT considered a cancel. lol!
You do whatever you need to do to get your clients needs met.
That's something you figure out PRIOR to establishing a service.
post #7 of Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM

You want to charge them to not clean because it's a holiday? You aren't an employee of your clients and you don't get vacation pay!

You're self-employed and you either take the day off and reschedule your clients, get an employee, pay them vacation and tackle the rescheduled houses together throughout the following week, clean the houses on the holiday yourself (only if the client wants! But most will not...), but don't charge your clients for work not done!

As you are self-employed, your time off or lack thereof isn't your client's concern. Their concern is do you do a good job for a reasonable price. They could care less about your days off, so don't try to make it their problem.

In short, don't show up for the job, don't get paid.
post #8 of Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 AM

Hey there manmaid! Good to see you're still in business! Congratulations!! It sure doesn't seem like 10 years ago when you first started.

I'm not real sure anyone will be too happy if you charge them for not cleaning. Neither of us is getting any younger and even though you've never missed a day yet, you might cut them a little slack because sometime you might need a break if you need to go to the doctor or a funeral or something. If I remember correctly most of your clients are older and old people deserve a break ya know.
post #9 of Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM

ManMaid, please give your Awesome customers Holidays (especially federal one's) off... Let them enjoy their family & time off w/out (paying) penalties... (smile)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode