Removing Rust from Showers - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Question Removing Rust from Showers

We are in Florida where there is a lot of well water which means a lot of rust to remove from showers and toliets. We have been using a product called "The Works" and it has really worked great, but now it is VERY hard to find. I'm not sure whatelse to use that does not cost a fortune since this is something we have to use often. Any suggestions?
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Bump

I second the question bc my company has an inordinate number of clients who think keeping shaving cream and other metal cans in the shower is a good idea.
post #3 of Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 AM

rust and other stains can arise from hard water mineral deposits found particularly with the use of well water having high iron content … there is a product called ‘Toilet Ring Remover Pads’.. these pads have a short handle and a particular pad. you wet the pad, use short vigorous strokes and the scale and staining comes free from the porcelain …
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Hello friends,

Here are few tips on how to remove rust from showers

# Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a clean damp sponge. Rub the sponge over the rust stains on the shower then rinse it.

# Spray oven cleaner onto the rust on the shower. Allow the cleaner to stay on the shower for about 20 minutes. Rinse to remove.

# Sprinkle some salt on a damp sponge. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon onto the salt. Apply the mixture onto the rust on the shower with the sponge. Press the mixture against the rust spot and leave it there for a few minutes. Scrub well. Rinse with water.
post #5 of Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 AM

can you get astonish or the pink stuff in the usa? works great on rust and is eco-friendly
post #6 of Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM

Sold rust remover are very effective in removing rust stain. Wear gloves when your work on this products because they contain acid. You can also clean discolored porcelain fixtures with a paste made of cream of tartar moistened with hydrogen peroxide with lemon juice. Scrub the paste into stained area with a brush, and rinse well.
post #7 of Old 07-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mold removal tampa View Post
rust and other stains can arise from hard water mineral deposits found particularly with the use of well water having high iron content … there is a product called ‘Toilet Ring Remover Pads’.. these pads have a short handle and a particular pad. you wet the pad, use short vigorous strokes and the scale and staining comes free from the porcelain …
Oooh. Good one.

I don't clean professionally anymore, but I get a little overtime to clean the loos at the factory I work in. I do a quick and dirty once a week on our six bathrooms and was planning to leave the rust stains be until I read this post.
post #8 of Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks. People are always confuse where to find House cleaning service.
post #9 of Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 PM

if i come across that problem, I use a scouring pad and some sort of a creamy cleanser and scrub like mad. It does the job. I hate using harsh smelly chemicals. i find using this method I usually get the job done.
post #10 of Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM

your article is as astounding. The clearness in your publish is simply great
post #11 of Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 AM

have a white porcelain bathtub that was heavily stained with rust when rusty drain clearing cable was left spread in tub. Sprayed the tub, sprinkled Bar Keepers Friend on stain. Wet cloth and lightly scrubbed the tub. The rust disappeared 90% first application. Repeated day latter only traces of faint rust shows I am not sure how many times I can use BKF, their web site says remove after one minute.
post #12 of Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM

If you will get a little piece of window screen, wet it, scrub a little it will be gone in about 5 seconds.
post #13 of Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 AM

You can find The Works at the Dollar Tree if there are any in your area. I find that Barkeepers Friend works best for getting rid of rust.
post #14 of Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 AM

I was surprised at how well The Works works. Rust on my fiberglass tub just kinda disolved away after 10 minutes. I was also surprised at how useless CLR and bakingsoda/vinegar were. Just beware The Works smells strongly of rotten eggs buts it's worth it.

Dirt Removal Melbourne
post #15 of Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 AM

So to avoid the smell why not just use screen? Not to mention you don't have to wait 10 minutes if you use screen. A few seconds of rubbing and the rust is gone.... no smell.... less time.... less money..... I know, I know,..... too easy

If y'all walked in to any of my customer's house with all these chemicals they would send you packin
post #16 of Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 AM

First, scrub at the rust with a cloth and a solution of warm water and liquid detergent. Rinse the area well once you’ve finished, and let it dry.
If rust still remains on your lino, then it is time to move to a more powerful rust stain remover. When using any new store-bought cleaning products for the first time, be sure to read their labels carefully and wear appropriate protection over your hands and face. Rust removers contain powerful chemical agents – they should be handled with care, in a well-ventilated area, and rinsed off completely after they’ve done their job.
Alternatively, a homemade rust stain remover can be created using cream of tartar (one tablespoon) and water (two tablespoons) to form a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area, scrub in well, and then rinse off with water.

soil removal Melbourne

Last edited by oliviathomas; 11-07-2015 at 01:44 AM.
post #17 of Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Shower cleaner products

Shower cleaner products are following
  • Tilex daily shower
  • arm and hammer clean shower
  • scrubbing bubbles shower automatic
  • seventh generation natural shower cleaner

and many more so try these cleaner to remove dust from your shower
post #18 of Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Or, get some sulfuric acid and pour on spot. Let set 5 minutes and spot will be gone. And I DO mean.... spot will be GONE!

I mean, if you just MUST have chemicals why are y'all f'ing around? Go for the big stuff or stay home!
post #19 of Old 07-30-2015, 02:09 AM

Rust stains can get on your tub either from old plumbing or from metal objects left sitting around the edge. These stains can be removed from your tub by using the proper cleaning products. This is a guide about removing rust stains from a bathtub.

basement construction
post #20 of Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 PM

You can also remove rust with vinegar and baking soda mixture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode