Residential Cleaning Vents - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Residential Cleaning Vents

Not actual VENTS~VENTS that only residential cleaners can understand.
The thoughts that you HAVE to keep in or you wouldn't be working.
Odd requests that we have to take in stride.
Strange complaints that you KNOW the customer has spent a LOT of time (but not much THOUGHT) trying to come up with.

1) I think my MAIN vent that I've gotten a lot of as I have been doing this for 19 years is the word JUST?

Could you JUST? Clean the added 16x16 foot mudroom like it's always been there?

Will you JUST? Let the dogs out/in whenever THEY want to go out/in and then put them in their crates by thumping your chest saying TREAT TREAT and give the treat to them after they have been shut in.
(I'm surprised they haven't yet asked we clean the poop up in the yard but one client I have, has paid help for that one and for the money they get, I'm thinking of adding it to my services.)
You can JUST...Do a quick one time cleaning on an extra room that hasn't been cleaned by ANY one.....EVER!

Who's definition of JUST is really JUST?
I think for the client, JUST is a synonym for "X-Tra~FREE~work."
For the cleaner, JUST means "X-Tra~STRESS~work" as I can't seem to find the price tag to cover the inconvenience as they come sparingly and by different clients.
(If someone out there DOES, PLEASE share with me!)

2) The take on HAIR/FOOD.
Quite the opposite of words but the same YUCK factor to me.
(If I HAD the choice, I'd actually pick hair and I suppose because I know what it IS(?) where food could be ANYthing.)
My WORST hair experience was when I used my foot to clear the shower drain of extra hair when I was finished.
This is OBviously something I always do but this particular shower drain had grown a full head of hair.
It just kept coming and coming and coming until it ACTUALLY lifted that round drain up and out came a soft ball sized hairball.
That's been a long time ago but brings me the same feelings today.
Now, if I see that same thing happening, I nip it in the bud with a razor blade and set it free.....or until the homeowner has to unclog their drain.
(I see nothing unethical about me doing that when the decency of flushing the toilet or picking up their inside out underwear or wrapping of personal disposables have been left to me or my employee to deal with.
And I don't know what it is about me and food in a kitchen drain but it totally takes on a life of it's own, in MY mind.
If all I had to do was empty the drain stoppers, that would be one thing but having to fish out (or push down) peas, carrots, and whatever I DON'T want to guess it's origin, just does NOT sit well with me.
Like dried on poop on the inside SIDES of a toilet bowl doesn't sit well with my partner....so, being the Owner, I "GET" to do that too.

PS~I LOVE MY JOB!!! I REALLY DO!!
I'm a perfectionist~I get paid well for it, meet super people and feel very privliged to receive the key/code of people's NUMBER ONE ASSET~normally the same day as the Guess-timate is made.
I take a lot of PRIDE in the TRUST I get from that.

Like everything we LOVE~there's always something not~so~loveable and I would LOVE to hear about other kindred cleaners VENTS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 AM

Contacting a professional is the most ideal option for cleaning vent. An expert will inspect it first and properly clean out all debris that is causing the blockage. Keeping your residential cleaning customers happy requires paying attention to detail and professionals are expertsin this field.
post #3 of Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Anyone?

An offshoot of my residential cleaning service is my pet sitting business. I recently stayed in a new client's home for about 14 days to take care of his dog. When he received the bill, he responded with accusing me of damages in his home that I "supposedly" caused during my stay. His wife (whom he is currently divorcing, and not living in the home) left a voice message mentioning that I needed to apologize for the damage, and I need to rethink being in the cleaning and pet sitting business. Yesterday I received an itemized list of "additional" things that have been damaged. I guess my question is if anyone here has had this experience? If so, if you weren't carrying insurance, how was your experience in small claims court to recover your money? This has completely shocked me as I've never run into this before. Only with a little investigation on the internet did I find out that the house I stayed at is currently in foreclosure, the "accuser" is currently suing a medical company, and the wife is currently suing the condo complex she is living in. This experience has taught me to run potential client court records before accepting work as that will give me a better idea of their character and past history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 AM

Home cleaning is not one time task. It require daily maintenance or cleaning. So some time, hiring a professional is not affordable or difficult that why clean your office or home with the help of vacuum cleaner.
post #5 of Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
#1: I happen to love when someone says: "It's not that dirty" or "It just needs some a little dusting/wiping down/vacuuming, nothing big". When I hear that I think, YEAH, RIGHT. Out of all the homes I've cleaned only **1** has met that description.

#2: When there are people roaming all over the house while you are trying to clean. I have a client whose grown kids will visit and be sleeping on the sofa when I get there or have brought over a large dog shedding hair everywhere adding extra work. I've given up trying to retouch things and to offset extra time, I just end up skipping things I know she won't notice until the next time. I don't care anymore (when it comes to her). She's one of my 1st clients before I really nailed things down service-wise. She hires me by a # of finite hours and I finally decided late last year no more freebies on my part...10 extra minutes here...20 minutes there...just to try to get the whole cleaning checklist in. I like her, but she's just one of those people who doesn't get it. No mas.

#3 Stripping and re-making beds with layers of sheets, mattress pads, duvets, and a thousand pillows. Don't get me wrong, I do an amazing job and get them looking magazine-ready (hospital corners, perfect propping, and everything), but it can literally take up to 20 minutes just dealing with one of these beds. One client has ***13*** pillows on one bed and ***11*** between the couch and loveseat alone. I love when I just have to MAKE the bed and I can keep it moving.

I'm sure there's 1 or 2 more things, but that tops my vent list offhand.

Last edited by lunamartinmi; 03-14-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: dog edit
post #6 of Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY!
Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH for "getting" it.
(That ONE poster tells me where to GO to get my VENTS cleaned?)
THANK YOU FOR EVEN READING THE FIRST SENTENCE! (??) i was thinking.. :/

Anyway, it's been so long (but I figured I MUST be the only complainer in residential cleaning....yeah RIGHT!!!)
LOVE my job....I REALLY TRULY do...being a perfectionist who LOVES to clean and make people happy....and get PAID for it? Yes I do...most of the time...
BUT the STORYS....I always think I've heard the weirdest request asked of me or complaint from someone (I mean Constructive Criticism) that STILL make me think...... ???????
I'll add more........

I KNOW this will be INteresting.......
post #7 of Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galenkpreston View Post
Home cleaning is not one time task. It require daily maintenance or cleaning. So some time, hiring a professional is not affordable or difficult that why clean your office or home with the help of vacuum cleaner.

WHHHhhahhaahhaaaatt?
post #8 of Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM

I just prescribe channel cleanings to individuals who: A. Have a lot of earth and advance in their pipes or B. the individuals who have UV and high proficient filtration to channel out the gunk blended up when doing the cleaning.
post #9 of Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galenkpreston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by admasonscottish View Post
I just prescribe channel cleanings to individuals who: A. Have a lot of earth and advance in their pipes or B. the individuals who have UV and high proficient filtration to channel out the gunk blended up when doing the cleaning.
I'm sorry but you have TOTALLY missed the point of my post (or didn't read it.)
NOT AIR VENTS.
I KNOW, it was a LOooonnnng post but the word VENT I am talking about is meant to be taken in a different context.
(Read the first sentence~that may help.)
post #10 of Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Over head, under feet...

Reading comprehension is half the battle, gaylelynn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode