Smoke smells? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Smoke smells?

I had a customer ask me; what is the simplest way to get rid of smoke smells from carpet/curtain/upholstery. The only true way I know is to have them professional cleaned.

Does anyone have any good tips for this please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Guess not, lol
post #3 of Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 AM

Hey trusty lemon,

I did a little research and this is what I came across and found:

"What we used to do after all the burned stuff was stripped from the house was to completely air out the house with fans and then encapsulate the odor with a strong primer like Kilz, Zinsser Bullseye or white shellac prior to topcoat. We even sealed the subfloor under the carpets and joists in attics and floors if they were smoke stained and smelled. That always seemed to work. You may have skipped that step. Just painting drywall with latex wall paint won’t do the trick if the problem is bad." This is according to the Capital Gazette. Sounds a bit extreme, but it is an option.

Others recommended something like Odoban. I've used that before on some clothes and pet stains and it's seemed to work, but it has a bit of a strange smell itself. Another chemical option I found on amazon is ZUSOE16 Smoke Eliminator Professional Strength.

The simplest option may be to just open windows and wait a while and see if the smell lessens. Some folks use baking soda in there refrigerators to help keep weird smells trapped. You might experiment with that on the furniture. Dust some on, wait a day, and vacuum it off. Bowls of vinegar are worth trying too, supposedly they wick the smell away. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 AM

I think it is not the only solution to have a professional service to clean smoke smell, it will be good if you hire them. But you can also clear it by using plain baking soda. You need to spread the baking soda over the carpet, lock the door and go to somewhere else for some time, after coming immediately vacuum it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode