Square feet cleaned per hour - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Square feet cleaned per hour

How many square feet per hour are your businesses doing (for residential)? I'm doing less than 500 sq feet per hour which isn't gteat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 AM

It's not possible to say in residential. That's why bidding by the square foot will never make you rich... too many variables. I'll give a great example, we used to have a 2500sf house that we could get through in about 4 man hours. We also had a 3300sf house that I could get through in around 6 man hours.

And to compare something the same size... we had 2 houses at 1500sf. 1 house took 2 man hours, the other house took 3.5 man hours.

One of the girls that is taking over part of my business tried making her bidding calculator based on square footage. I told her it wouldn't work but she never listens to me..... after a week or so she admitted she couldn't make it work out to as much profit as I do it now so she changed it.
post #3 of Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

When she made the bidding calculator, did she only use square feet? I see some ignore square feet completely & use number of bedrooms & bathrooms, number of occupants & pets, type of flooring, etc. I can see how hard it is to give a quote sight unseen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally she was going by square feet. But that didn't work, like I told her it wouldn't. So now she is setting it up to go by number of bedrooms/baths/etc.

Yep sight unseen ran me out of the business

I could have made $250+ this Thursday (plus had her for a regular customer) but I'm not taking anymore customers in this lifetime so I gave it away. The biggest reason.... she wanted a price over the phone and I will never give a price over the phone under $1000,00.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 11-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes that makes sense. Too bad so many people try to pressure cleaners to give a price over the phone. Too risky.
post #6 of Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Yeah, it's much easier to make money transporting fine art. Last week the Congressional Gold Medal was hauled for $7800 and by the time fuel and labor were paid it was a profit of $2100 and I never left my house.

And, I got rid of all my lawn care customers and am starting over in that field because I'm going with an all new approach. This guy I know about an hour from here is netting $10 million a year so that means he is grossing about $500,000 because he has someone running 100% of the company for him (he could make twice that if he ran part of it himself). So I am going to take his lead and stream line but I'm going to go just a few steps further. It has taken him 10 years to build his, I want mine to build in 7 years.

He also was the original founder of one of the big franchise commercial cleaning company's many years ago. He agreed with me that it is much easier working with 141 males and 3 females in mowing than having your whole cleaning business depend on working with 20 females. He said his stress level went down 2000% once he didn't have to work with all the bitchy/complaining females. lol

The cleaning business has been good to me though. I'd just retire all together but I tried it a couple of years ago and it sucks.... I always gotta be doing something and can't just sit at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode