too many expectations? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-21-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

too many expectations?

Hello, I am new to residential cleaning and just started a house. The lady said the last person was not reliable and never did all that was asked. On my first day I was presented with a very large list that the house owner thought should be accomplished in 4 hours. This house has five baths but two are half baths. There are three bedrooms two upstairs one on main level. There is also a finished basement. I am expected to change bed sheets and pick up dirty laundry and haul it down to the basement. They have a dog that sheds so much that I have to clean the vacuum twice. I finally told her that the list is not able to be completed in only four hours so she said she would pay me for two more hours. I honestly still dont know If I can complete it. I didnt even list all the items. I would like some input on what most people accomplish in four hours of work? I hope I am not just a slowpoke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn A View Post
Hello, I am new to residential cleaning and just started a house. The lady said the last person was not reliable and never did all that was asked. On my first day I was presented with a very large list that the house owner thought should be accomplished in 4 hours. This house has five baths but two are half baths. There are three bedrooms two upstairs one on main level. There is also a finished basement. I am expected to change bed sheets and pick up dirty laundry and haul it down to the basement. They have a dog that sheds so much that I have to clean the vacuum twice. I finally told her that the list is not able to be completed in only four hours so she said she would pay me for two more hours. I honestly still dont know If I can complete it. I didnt even list all the items. I would like some input on what most people accomplish in four hours of work? I hope I am not just a slowpoke!
Good grief!! This lady is nuts and has no clue how long it takes to clean her large home! I have been cleaning for about 3 yrs and the largest home I clean has 2 full baths and 1/2 bath, 3 bedrooms and an enclosed porch. Luckily the kitchen is the only room with hardwood floors...the rest is carpet. But despite that it takes me between 5 1/2 to 6 hours and they don't have any pets. Dog hair is the worst! So you are not a slow poke. Just tell her that there is no way you can ever get the job done in 4 hours and you may very well go over 6 hours to complete the job. If she still complains then do yourself a favor and tell her farewell and move on. I get rid of the clients that stress me out...the ones I keep are happy to have me there doing a great job no matter how long it takes. She sounds like a real pain. Good luck!!
post #3 of Old 10-24-2015, 08:14 PM

So let me get this straight..... you are her employee and she tells you what to do and takes out taxes, FICA and all that?

Or are you wanting to run your own business. If you want to run your own business they don't give you a list. YOU could give THEM a list. If you are your own business YOU are the boss, not them. THEY don't tell you anything. I've been on thousands of bids and I too have come across those that think they are going to tell me what we clean. I quickly end the bid by telling them that is NOT how we work and good luck on finding a slave. I'm sure they then called someone like you who thought slavery was legal and did the work all the while praising their master.

YOU set your prices. NEVER go in and let them tell you what THEY pay and how long it should take. Unless.... you are a slave which is not legal in this country.

Make yourself a sheet so you can write down all the prices.

Make yourself a sheet that tells what all you do.

YOU set everything there is about YOUR business. If that crazy b!tch wants to start her own cleaning business then tell her to do so but YOU don't work like that.

DO NOT go back to her house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-24-2015, 09:03 PM

I like what Sprintcar said. I'm working on a list of what I offer & don't offer. I know from personal experience that you'll be doing all sorts of weird extra stuff if you don't make it clear from the get-go. Also because a lot of these extra things you don't do often, you won't do them well. This will lead to extra complaints. You'll be the jack of all trades & the master of none. The stuff you do offer must be done very well though.

There's certain things that I've found don't pay off for me - doing laundry, dishes, cleaning chandeliers, ironing, cleaning windows.

People will push you as far as you'll allow them to. Let them find another schmuck to be their slave.

I've thought about this a lot when my cleaning scope of work creeped to washing the family dog, picking up dog poop in the back yard, spraying the home for fleas after treating it. You get the idea! While you're doing these things, you think about the bad biz decisions you're making!
post #5 of Old 10-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Exactly.

Not to mention, if you have insurance and you decide you want to clean anything that is over 3 steps on a ladder..... call your insurance person before you do so. My guess is that they will tell you that you will either need to decline the job or pay more money for your insurance = chandeliers not worth it. My rule is, if it is higher than the person cleaning can reach, we can't clean it. It has kept everyone safe so far..... well, almost.....

Last edited by sprintcar93; 10-25-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #6 of Old 10-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Edinburgh Gutter Cleaners
Don't worry about it Dawn and welcome to the world of business where the customer wants everything done for paying next to nothing,do what you can in your own time,do not stress about getting it all done,that's the customers problem not yours,if they want it completed within a certain timescale then they will have to employ two people to do the job,you will come across these jobs quite a bit and once you are up and running will be able to steer clear of them.Hope that helps,Paul.

Gutter cleaners in Edinburgh
http://www.edinburghguttercleaningcompany.com
post #7 of Old 10-25-2015, 01:20 PM

One of my customers taught me this important lesson about limiting my service offerings. Even though she still owes me over $200 (which I will get) I am thankful for what I learned from dealing with her.

She was the first to ask for references, she followed me around micromanaging me, she asked me to do all sorts of extra things which I did because I was inexperienced & a door mat and she texted me all times of the day & night. She lost respect for me because I was willing to do anything.

I am new to this but I think it's best to appear confident & to push back from too many extra requests.
post #8 of Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances d View Post
One of my customers taught me this important lesson about limiting my service offerings. Even though she still owes me over $200 (which I will get) I am thankful for what I learned from dealing with her.

She was the first to ask for references, she followed me around micromanaging me, she asked me to do all sorts of extra things which I did because I was inexperienced & a door mat and she texted me all times of the day & night. She lost respect for me because I was willing to do anything.

I am new to this but I think it's best to appear confident & to push back from too many extra requests.
ALWAYS get paid before any work is started and you will never be owed any money. Tell them ahead of time they need to have the money waiting on the counter when you arrive or else work will not start until you have cash in hand.

What I do personally is charge them if I have to wait for them to go and get cash..... by the way..... first time cleans and 1 time cleans should ALWAYS be cash. The 2nd cleaning can be check but not the 1st.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode