VACCUM for residential - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

VACCUM for residential

I was wandering what kind of vacuums do u use for residential ?
I have one bissell (to big and heavy) and the other backpack vac made by hover. I'm looking to get one vacuum , strong suction for carpets and wood floors, I research and looks like maybe MIELE OLIMPUS?or ORECK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Sharks are light and suck well. Oreck commercial vac is well built.
post #3 of Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Maid to Shine, Thank you again to respond for my post
I have a shark and the carpets looks good and not happy about the wood floors. Which model do you use?
My clients are always crazy abt wood floors, and also so concern about scratches...do u have clients like that?Some of them wanted make sure the vacuum is safe..this is why I stopped using bissell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM

I have a Numatic James with fitted with a special hose that I plug into the SEBO powerhead for carpet. I just switch over the power head, hard floor attachment, and brush attachments for baseboards. Love it.
post #5 of Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks, i will check it out online
post #6 of Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM

Vacuum Cleaners

We use 2 vacuum cleaners, one for carpet and one for hard surface flooring.

For carpet we use Dysons, and for hard surface we use the Eureka Mighty Mite.

They are both light weight and easy to use.

Kyra Deprez
The Boardwalk Cleaning Co
www.boardwalkcleaning.com
post #7 of Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Which Dyson? I saw the little stick one, anybody are using it? All Dyson I was cleaning were a little bit heavy..
post #8 of Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 AM

You can use dyson handheld vacuum cleaners that are easy to use and are best used for daily cleans but you should go through the various sites of dyson and contact them. They will give you proper guidance on it.
post #9 of Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I was considering that exactly option, however I was reading it last only 25 min and then needs to be charge again, can i charge it in my car?And also looks like this dustcup maybe a little bit small I wonder how fast is this feeling.Most of my houses are really big.
post #10 of Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
I don't understand using a vacuum without attachments for residential (Oreck). I love how light it is...light and powerful is where it's at...but I feel I cannot do an effective job without attachments (how do you edge vac the carpet?).

I loved, loved, loved the Miele canister vac I got to use at a client's house who had 2 super shedding English Bulldogs and laminate floors throughout. It really picked up the dog hair like a champ and it didn't create a lot of noise doing it. If a vacuum can effectively pick up pet hair, those stupid little plastic things that attach the price tags to your clothes, and popcorn kernels, well then, you've got yourself a winner (that's just a general statement). As for the Miele, obviously you have to weigh the cost of the initial purchase, replacing the bags, and hauling the canister and all the gear in.

Last edited by lunamartinmi; 03-14-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: vac clarification
post #11 of Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM

I was using an electrolux Sanitiare which was great for floors and carpets, and it was small. The motor burned out after 5 years, I bought another one and had lots of problems with it. Then, I bought a shark; it's not great on floors, and bagless is a pain in the butt to empty all the time! 2 weeks ago, I bought a Sebo Felix. It cost $615 after taxes, but so far it is worth it!
post #12 of Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 AM

Hi There,

I use a Miele S5211. It sucks very hard (need to turn it down as it pulls up the carpet from the floor!). It's a bagged model, however you can purchase paper bags at a small cost. Personally, I think its great and would highly recommend it.

Cheers
post #13 of Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Atachments in residentional is a must, and this is the reason why I didn't get orek too. Milie looks like awsome vac but so expensive so finally I got shark rotator profrssional and so far so good I paid only 200$ has lot's of attachments and is really powerful. There is couple things I would change abt this vac but nothing big for this price I have no complains so far.
post #14 of Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Shark Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie View Post
Atachments in residentional is a must, and this is the reason why I didn't get orek too. Milie looks like awsome vac but so expensive so finally I got shark rotator profrssional and so far so good I paid only 200$ has lot's of attachments and is really powerful. There is couple things I would change abt this vac but nothing big for this price I have no complains so far.
I've had the opportunity to use the Shark Professional as well. It's very versatile and I really did like it, although it could stand to be a pound or 2 lighter (I think 10 lbs +/- is the ideal range for a light vac). If I had $200 and change to invest in a vac, I would go for it. I personally like the visual of using a canister vac. I don't care that I have to empty it more frequently.

If I am not using a client's vac as they prefer/request, I break out my Hoover Nano. Always good to have a back up in the car anyway. I give it about 3-1/2 stars--it's pretty light, functional, decent power, I can wash the filters and clean it easily overall, it has some basic attachments, and doesn't have a super cheap feel like some other vacs I've tried/worked with. The crevice tool is 'built in' (sometimes I love or hate that), but it works fine overall for an under $60 vac. It's been over a year since I bought it and I've haven't had to replace it either.

I've used the bigger and small Dysons and I don't consider them light by my standards. I've had clients that rock the Kirby's and I REFUSE to use those lead behemoths. Those things are RIDICULOUS and look straight out of the 50's. People try to re-sell them for big bucks on Craigslist, too. Frankly, you couldn't pay ME to take one of those off your hands. I definitely dream of a Miele though. Wish I had one for my house.

Last edited by lunamartinmi; 03-23-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #15 of Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Sebo looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimB View Post
I was using an electrolux Sanitiare which was great for floors and carpets, and it was small. The motor burned out after 5 years, I bought another one and had lots of problems with it. Then, I bought a shark; it's not great on floors, and bagless is a pain in the butt to empty all the time! 2 weeks ago, I bought a Sebo Felix. It cost $615 after taxes, but so far it is worth it!
Thanks for the recommendation on the Sebo Felix. I looked it up online and it looks super interesting and multi-functional as well. I would love to give that thing a test drive. Had pretty good reviews on Amazon.com and they have a short video on it as well. Those Germans apparently know how to make really good (and expensive) vacuums (hail Sebo + Miele)!
post #16 of Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I just checked sebo-wow what a nice vac, but looks so smal and weight is over 15lb so is not as light. and the price...
post #17 of Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM

We always used the Bissell BAGGED vacuums. If you put them on a scale they are lighter than almost all others when empty except 1. And once the bag is full it is still MUCH less weight than an Oreck when it is full. When an Oreck's big ol' bag gets full it weighs a ton compared to the bagged Bissell. Being a former professional carpet cleaner I understand how carpet works and the whole concept about it unlike most others who haven't been trained. But honestly, most vacuums are so close in quality, it is what ever you prefer to use. I always wanted my girls to us the lightest vacuums I could find so that is the reason we used Bissell. And, they have such great suction.
post #18 of Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 PM

I've been debating on getting a backpack vacuum, but I am scared that it might lead to turning and breaking something since I wouldn't be used to the bulk on my back.

Easy Clean Toronto - Your Cleaning Services Toronto | Google+ | Book Online
post #19 of Old 05-11-2014, 05:41 AM

There are many different kinds of residential vacuums on the market. Get one that will not only do a good cleaning job but that will allow a healthy atmosphere as well.
post #20 of Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM

We like brands Riccar and Miele. They are long lasting vacuum cleaners, with good suction and good filters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode