what do u do when ur cleaner steals? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

what do u do when ur cleaner steals?

When a cleaner steals something from one of your clients homes, how do u handle this? Do u deduct the cost of item from their pay check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanne View Post
When a cleaner steals something from one of your clients homes, how do u handle this? Do u deduct the cost of item from their pay check?
You immediately have the client call the police and file a theft report. Call your insurance company and let them know there is a potential theft case involving one of your clients. Leave it to the authorities to prosecute and recover the cost of the item and replace it.

The item must be returned and the cleaner must be prosecuted. The cleaner must be fired if it is proven they did it.

What proof do you have that this happened? It's out of your hands, really. You can't be judge and jury. Let the police do the investigation and cooperate fully with thier investigation.

I had a client that had his bank account wiped out completely. I told him he was to notify the police immediately and file a report. I explained that I would cooperate fully with their investigation.

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #3 of Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Ya it's the whole proving thing that is a nitemare. Impossible to prove really. Clients word against cleaners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Ya it's the whole proving thing that is a nitemare. Impossible to prove really. Clients word against cleaners.
What happened?

You can't take action on something that can't be proven. The client must file a police report first and foremost. You especially cannot take the cost of the item out of their paycheck. You will inevitably get sued.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #5 of Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
not experienced in this area but i would sack the little s**t and make them pay! depending on the circumstance and the cost it would depend on the punishment. but proving it, is the problem. stealing should come with punishment. once someone steals, then will do it again.
post #6 of Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM

As I business owner you should do what Torrey said. Often clients claim theft when items are only misplaced - firing an employee on unfounded grounds could easily end up getting you in even more trouble. Better to let the police and the insurance companies handle the situation.

Repeated claims on the same employee however do warrant your taking actions to rid yourself of the employee, so documentation of all policy infractions can help you to rid yourself and your company of this potential liability or dead weight. It really is not surprising that many employees that are suspected to be thieves are released from their jobs due to absenteeism or being excessively late. A business owner has to do what they have to do to protect themselves as well as their clients, even if it sometimes seems that the laws bind our hands for fear of being sued.
post #7 of Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM

What is the worker is new and on probation working as an casual laborer?
post #8 of Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM

Jaki,

To avoid being sued for false claims (you do have to prove it and it's very hard to do), let the police handle it. You could always not have any hours available if you can't prove anything. I can't impress upon having the police report filed as being ESSENTIAL to moving forward.

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #9 of Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM

Torrey, When I gave her her letter it did not say that she was stealing it just said that we no longer require your services as a casual laboroer. I wrote the letter according to the insurance agent. This was not the first time something was missing since we hired her as a casual laborer before making her an employee. The client waited about 2 weeks before telling us so therefore the insurance company had to take over and they told me to get rid of her. The agent said to not put any reason just say we no longer required her services. Now it is under investigation. Gotta run
post #10 of Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Hi,
It would be a good idea to get in touch with an HR helpdesk such as ACAS who will be able to advise you. If this employee has a contract with you they do have rights and you still can be taken to a tribunal for unfair dismissal. You yourself need to do an investigation into the incident as well as your client involving the police.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode