What to say to clients who compare you to their previous cleaners? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

What to say to clients who compare you to their previous cleaners?

I am going to clean for a new client this week who seems to think that after my initial deep cleaning for their 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 2100 sq ft home I can clean it in 3 hours once a month after that! He said his last cleaner was able to do that. I told him that based on the homes of that size I am currently cleaning it usually takes me 5 to 6 hrs every time. I felt like he is trying to be cheap and I really felt like asking him what his previous cleaning lady didnt clean LOL! I am not slow but I am thorough. Anyone else have this type of client and what should I say to them. He doesnt sound like he was happy to be paying that much every month. I doubt he will be a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM

I've always asked this, "Why is it that your last cleaning person isn't still cleaning?". 2 things usually. They moved or they quit cleaning. I explain that 1/2 the time when cleaners say they are moving and can no longer clean for you it's because they don't want to clean for you anymore and that is a good way to get out of it. If they quit cleaning I explain that they quit cleaning because they weren't making any money because they weren't charging enough and had to find something else to do to make a living.

You have set your price... don't worry about him becasue you really don't want to clean for a person like that anyway. if he continues to complain explain to him that you charge extra for PITA's. When he asks what a PITA is explain that PITA stands for pain in the ass and you charge an extra $75 for those types of customers. Yes, I have told a customer that before. It's YOUR life and YOUR business... don't let him make it hard for you.
post #3 of Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Haha....I will remember PITA LOL!!! No I have learned never to back down from my price after doing so with a few clients in the beginning. I have to pay my bills too. I have lost potential clients because of my price which is somewhere in the middle around here but if they want someone cheap then go for it. Red flags go up when people start comparing me with their previous cleaners. And I am always tempted to ask whatever happened to them. They most likely got tired of working for peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 AM

There are several people who tend to compare their cleaning services with the ones they used before. In most cases, they argue for the sake of arguing or to get faster and cheaper home cleaning service. If they liked the previous company, why did they quit on that company? In my opinion, donít show your frustrations to the customer. Listen carefully to their arguments and you politely explain them about what you could do and the limitations of your work. If they are not happy with it, they can choose another house cleaning service. Making a promise and not keeping it may produce worse results. If they give you one chance, you can show them the quality of your service and convince them to continue your service.
post #5 of Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

No I don't show any frustrations and I do listen politely. I currently have 2 clients who have kept me on even thought they initially said my price was too high
post #6 of Old 02-15-2015, 03:06 AM

That's right - when you do a good job customers will keep using your service even if they say it is a bit expensive.
Cleaners Earls-Court
post #7 of Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 AM

If they are making comparisons there's usually a reason. Either they lost them and ( wish they had them back) or they are trying to lose you. Time is too short to worry about this type of stuff. Deal with it politely, professionally and with "distance"... dont get upset or become involved. Dont go changing to try to be the old cleaner. If they are not satisfied, you'll know soon enough.
post #8 of Old 04-25-2015, 04:27 AM

Need some suggestion for cleaning services

Hello, I am looking for suggestions here about cleaning services. We are moving to our new house in Vaughan. Before shifting to the new place, we need to dispose some old stuffs from our old house. For that we urgently required a rental trash bin service in Vaughan. It will take time to remove unnecessary items from all around the house. So it is necessary to keep the bin for two or four days. If anyone aware of such services Other than Redbins of Vaughan, add your inputs. Thank you.
post #9 of Old 04-27-2015, 05:21 AM

I'd tell them that if they were satisfied with the other cleaner they wouldn't be looking for another one. If they would let me do my job then I will if not then you know where the door is. I think once they compare there is no room for more negotiation. They'll just want the prices to go down etc.
post #10 of Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 PM

In other words, PD_Lape would tell them 1 word just like I would....... BYE
post #11 of Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM

Hey, don't be annoyed with your client over such issues. Many time, these people demand unusual stuff from new house cleaners but with the passage of time, when they understand and see the quality of service you are giving, he will stop troubling you.So, my advice to you is to deal with him professionally and with patience. As a new house cleaner you can't change things in 10-15 days and also don't get involved yourself in explaining or arguing about it.
post #12 of Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 AM

We had a PITA last Monday; it actually started the week before. I rarely drop my prices but apparently I was feeling nice and when I went on the bid and she talked me in to doing the first time clean for $225. The regular bi-weekly price was $99. The exact conversation we had was.... I will do it for $225 but that is a NO COMPLAINT price. No matter what happens, you can't complain. She agreed... TWICE. She was there off and on while the house was cleaned and I try to clean all showers so I was there for most of the cleaning. At one point before we were finished cleaning she told me that she would see us next time.

The girl that answers my phone said we weren't finished 30 minutes and she called to complain. Mind you, we did a $350 job (only paid $225) because no matter what I tell the customer we are still going to do the best job we can. I spent 1.5 hours in the shower. Ya see... there is a reason I have someone else answer my phone.... I would have told this lady to go F herself and that she was a lieing C.

So the lady wanted her bed made, dish washer emptied and other odd things we don't do for a regular price and we don't do some of them at all. For example, beds are $7 and all we do is strip and make.... no washing. I only started doing beds again because the girls said they would do them for $5... I get $2 & they get $5. Anyway, the lady said she wouldn't pay any more than $99 so my phone girl told her good luck in finding someone for $99 and that was it. Not saying she can't find someone for $99 but it won't be us.

You can't back down.... if you want a BOSS go to work for a company. If you want to be your own boss then YOU set your own rules and don't take crap from anyone.

We saw Lily's cleaning next door when we were leaving and now the joke about the lady is that Lily told her to go jump in the lake cuz Lily wasn't doing all that stuff either.
post #13 of Old 10-04-2015, 12:48 AM

Give away from that clients.search for another who like your hard work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode