Whats the Hardest Part Of Residential Cleaning? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Whats the Hardest Part Of Residential Cleaning?

I have a well established window cleaning company in my area, and have also thought about adding residential cleaning services, I mean we are in 300+ homes each year, I see this as an opportunity however its a new segment and would love to know the hardest chanllenges in starting this?

One concern, currently, all my employees are male... does a certain clean attribute come with the female presence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 PM

People feel less intimidated with females in their house.

Hardest part of any business is finding the right people!
post #3 of Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM

For me, finding good employees. It's an employee's market here, they can have their pick of the litter. I pay double the minimum wage, lots of raises, lots of opportunity for promotion, paid mileage and travel, bonuses up the yingyang, and I'm lucky if a candidate shows up for an interview!

Secondly, finding good clients. Reasonable clients who recognize that you get what you pay for. Referrals are your best bet here, so we focus on giving our favourite clients discounts when they refer us to a friend or family member. Also, we never haggle on price. It seems as though when you let a potential client even start to haggle with you, you lose their respect and never earn it back (or they're just the type to look down on you from the get-go due to your industry) We aren't the cheapest and we don't aspire to be. There is an over-abundance of cheap crappy cleaning "businesses" out there, I don't intend to add my name to that hat.

What would you say the most difficult or challenging aspect of window cleaning is? I too am looking to expand our services with window cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 AM

According to me, the hardest part is choosing the best chemical for cleaning at a affordable rates with less efforts of us.
post #5 of Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM

Hi, I own a residential and small office cleaning company in Ellenton, Fl called Marjorie's Detailed Cleaning. The main thing that my clients are always stressing to me is that they want someone who's reliable, honest, and have reasonable prices. Another important factor, they want someone who works efficiently. As with any company, not just limited to residential cleaning, I believe these are very important and secondly, yet valuable traits to have in a company.

Marjorie's Detailed Cleaning
marjoriesdetailedcleaning.com
Bradenton, Fl and Ellenton, Fl
post #6 of Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 AM

As for being a guy... I survived for 15 years but I was the owner. Most ladies prefer a female in their house to clean... other than me. My customers would always rather of had me but that wasn't happening. So I'd go around to different houses and talk while their house was being cleaned by my girl.

I had 12 girls cleaning, 2 girls passing out flyers and back-up for cleaning and 1 guy cleaning carpet. Every day all the girls had some kind of drama.... my carpet cleaning males never had any problems to speak of. And always on time too.

(I think) The hardest thing is finding good employees. That's actually the reason I got out of the business. Hassle, hassle, hassle! A year from this month I'm headed to a business where I can hire all guys. I'm taking a year break from employees. lol

Last edited by sprintcar93; 03-11-2014 at 02:34 AM.
post #7 of Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 AM

to fix the removed carpet I guess!!
post #8 of Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 AM

I think the tough part while cleaning is safety of that home decor items like carpet, furnitures etc. You should need to select the perfect way to clean them and also which also not harm their quality.
post #9 of Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Oh the girls and the drama. I feel for you Sprintcar93.

Finding and keeping good employees is a hard part of the business. Another unpleasant thing, at least for me, is cleaning cheap blinds for move-outs. People use tape just to hang broken peaces. You would be surprised how many people manage to spill coffee on their blinds... Other than that, it's all fun business.

Olena
Clean4Real Cleaning Services
Connect with us on Google+ Clean4Real
Follow us on FB Clean4Real
post #10 of Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Some clients are impossible to please! It rarely happens but when it does, they can make you look bad online. We had an experience with a YELP client that we did everything possible to please her. She had 200 plus negative reviews on YELP and we didnt know until after we cleaned her place. Went back out 3 times and gave her the cleaning for free. But there was no way to please her. Those are 1 out of every 100 cleanings though.
post #11 of Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 PM

We clean rentals and most tenants don't clean before they vacate so we are doing a lot of deep cleans. We find the blinds and walls are the toughest jobs thus most time consuming. We charge by the hour so we get paid for our time no questions asked. It can be hard work but we are compensated well so its a win/win.
post #12 of Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM

You need really dependable employees,probably women.
People do not want to see a new face every week as they come to know and trust who you sent the first time
As well if you send different people they will not know the homes layout and that increases their cleaning time and your costs
But before you even start all that I would make sure that each employee signs a non compete or you may spend $$ getting it going only to find a few employees get together and skim off your best clients : (
I would check around to see what competitors are charging in your area.By the house,the hour and how are they paying the employees-by the house,by the hour?
The hardest part though is some people are impossible to please.Make sure that you have a form (try NEBS) that lists what is included and what IS NOT!
Weed out the pain in the butt clients,fast.

https://www.ebookit.com/books/000000...Right-Way.html
post #13 of Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM

KleanMe,

I've owned a residential cleaning business in Austin, TX since 2003. Hands down, the hardest part of the job is hiring personnel that is honest, loyal and hardworking.

I've found that homeowners are more comfortable with a female cleaner(s), as this is the stereotype that they are most comfortable with. The word "maid" itself is short for "maiden", meaning "virgin". In great houses of England, maids were expected to remain unmarried while in service!

As for expanding your business into another type of home service, just make sure that you can provide the same consistency and quality that you've had with your current niche. If you have good processes in place, good training and good supervisors/managers, the leap into house cleaning will be that much smoother.

Hope this helps.
post #14 of Old 12-05-2014, 02:46 PM

That's an excellent point Jess. I was always asked what the difference was between a maid service and a house cleaning company. Now I can explain that to them and then say... and we KNOW I ain't no virgin!
post #15 of Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Every room has different requirements so for them needs also vary. In your bedroom, and living area, to have tidy appearance it necessary to remove cobwebs, dust furniture, and vacuum hard floor surfaces etc. For your kitchen it is necessary to scrub sinks to remove the food & oil stains.
post #16 of Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Well said Robert. Every room is different and every house is different.
post #17 of Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmatheka View Post
Every room has different requirements so for them needs also vary. In your bedroom, and living area, to have tidy appearance it necessary to remove cobwebs, dust furniture, and vacuum hard floor surfaces etc. For your kitchen it is necessary to scrub sinks to remove the food & oil stains.
Well said. For that you'll need both male and female cleaners. You should take advantage of each of your employees strengths and be wary of their weaknesses. Finding a good and long term employee is rather difficult these days though.
post #18 of Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM

Hardest part of residential cleaning

I would have to say the hardest part of residential cleaning is snagging your rags on nails as you wash walls and sometimes cutting you fingers on nails. Working around clutter is also hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode