What's Your Trick for Filthy Walls? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By need2clean

post #1 of Old 07-06-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

What's Your Trick for Filthy Walls?

A regular client of ours hired us for a special project - cleaning their fixer upper. They removed 100% of the debris and carpeting.

We are starting with walls so they can get started on painting the walls.

The walls have about 1/8" of greasy, smokey, grime. This is in every single room. The grime is so thick and nasty that they can't paint over it, the paint drips off and separates from the grease and won't dry.

We are working slowly, room by room, spraying then scrubbing manually. It's taking forever, and haven't been able to find a faster cleaner or method. As a residential cleaner who has never been to a home THIS dirty, I'm hoping someone else out there will have some ideas?

Has anyone ever had to clean walls with years and years of filthy build up? What is the chemical and method that you prefer?
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM

We do some hoarder projects. We get them some times where someone has been smoking cigars for 20-30 years. Or more. Windex. Use Windex. Spray it on. Let it set about 10 seconds. And wipe. Will put a shine on it too for you.
post #3 of Old 04-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

bleach or windex products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 AM

We are Professional trusted experienced painters in Perth.We Provide Reliable & Affordable Commercial and Domestic painting Perth .
post #5 of Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 PM

Ammonia and water should help! I would rinse with a damp cloth and dry immediately. You'll need a fan running for the smell anyways!
post #6 of Old 06-15-2016, 01:17 AM

ammonia and lemon may help
post #7 of Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

I would recommend going to your nearest commercial supplier and asking them. They may have a product designed for such a purpose.
post #8 of Old 09-27-2016, 04:05 PM

Nothing.
post #9 of Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 PM

Scrub pad with a bucket of 1 part fabuloso and 3 parts hot water. If it's a lot of wall space, we use a microfiber mop to hit the wall surfaces...makes it go wayyy faster.

Jim D.
Owner - Maid in Oahu
www.MaidInOahu.com
"House cleaning in Hawaii at the push of a button"
post #10 of Old 12-27-2016, 02:32 AM

Location: Greater Pittsburgh area including Allegheny, Beaver & Butler County, Pennsylvania
Try Magic Erasers

Magic Erasers!
post #11 of Old 10-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2clean View Post
A regular client of ours hired us for a special project - cleaning their fixer upper. They removed 100% of the debris and carpeting.

We are starting with walls so they can get started on painting the walls.

The walls have about 1/8" of greasy, smokey, grime. This is in every single room. The grime is so thick and nasty that they can't paint over it, the paint drips off and separates from the grease and won't dry.

We are working slowly, room by room, spraying then scrubbing manually. It's taking forever, and haven't been able to find a faster cleaner or method. As a residential cleaner who has never been to a home THIS dirty, I'm hoping someone else out there will have some ideas?

Has anyone ever had to clean walls with years and years of filthy build up? What is the chemical and method that you prefer?
Hi,

Let's talk about both the scenarios.

One is - if you do regular intensive cleaning to your home, then your walls will be wet wiped and scrubbed properly and regularly, because of which your walls won't get the dirt/mold accumulated.

Secondly - you can still get the intensive cleaning done where the professional companies use Eco-friendly and herbal products to get rid of such stubborn grime.
post #12 of Old 10-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Sometimes I wonder if people here even read the questions asked.

I sympathize with your situation. I have cleaned several homes that dirty, and it is back breaking work and discouraging because it seems like you will NEVER get it clean. And to be realistic, you may never really get it clean. I would suggest discussing this with the customer and see how they feel about it. IF they can afford to, sheet rocking over the walls would, of course, solve it. But that costs a lot. Make sure the client understands that you may not be able to get every single inch perfectly clean.....and keep on trying.
post #13 of Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missannienow View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people here even read the questions asked.

I sympathize with your situation. I have cleaned several homes that dirty, and it is back breaking work and discouraging because it seems like you will NEVER get it clean. And to be realistic, you may never really get it clean. I would suggest discussing this with the customer and see how they feel about it. IF they can afford to, sheet rocking over the walls would, of course, solve it. But that costs a lot. Make sure the client understands that you may not be able to get every single inch perfectly clean.....and keep on trying.
I agree that the long run solution that is not half-baked is to replace the wall board. The grease have permeated the wall board and if not the grease then the smell. The homeowner needs to get realistic and gut the home. If you were just doing window cleaning that would be one thing but the paper based wall board that only has a (water based) latex paint is suseptible to absorbing the grease.

Air Health Services
post #14 of Old 10-30-2017, 04:58 PM

Yes, I agree, but I also know that such a major job costs a lot and many of us cannot afford to to this sort of thing. In an ideal world........In the meantime, I would guess the homeowner needs to just keep scrubbing away, until the wall surfaces are in decent enough shape to prime and then paint. OR - IF they like wallpaper (I dont!), that would solve a lot of issues here.

I used to own an 1860 Victorian home - a five-family home- in Cambridge, MA. It had not been well cared for. We bought it and started renovating it, all on a budget. Those were serious, SERIOUS walls, made of old fashioned plaster AND horsehair. Yes, horsehair.. That's what they used to mix with plaster to make it stronger. It worked!!!!! It was fascinating to uncover layer upon layer of ancient wall papers, until we finally found the real plaster wall. I removed all the plaster covering two old chimneys, and found the most wonderful stuff inside each wall! Old newspapers, antique bottles, a ring, a bird skeleton, a coin, nails....all kinds of odd things. It inspired me to leave a time capsule for the NEXT renovator!
post #15 of Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfree View Post
ammonia and lemon may help
I'd go for the same...
post #16 of Old 11-22-2017, 12:45 AM

Hello everyone,
I would say if you get dust, dirt, and cobwebs on your walls you should vacuum with a soft brush. Before washing the walls, you will need to remove any loose dirt and dust. Household soap mixtures do a great job cleaning tinted walls. Wash your walls from the top down. Vinegar is a nice method for removing stain from wallpaper. But for better result you should hire professionals as they are knowledgeable for this work and use good cleaning products. Keep sharing.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode