When do you get payed? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

When do you get payed?

Hi,
I was wondering how everyone accepts their payments from
customers? Do you accept half down, and the rest later? Are you paid in full before your services? What is the best way? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 PM

We expect all payments to be made at the time of the service. If the job is a one time cleaning that is booked without an in home estimate I reserve the right to ask for a credit card deposit of 1/2 of the estimated job in advance in order to hold the slot open.
post #3 of Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM

I think residential cleaning traditionally is payment at the time of service. I expect payment at the time of service, usually. Although I do have weekly customers that have made arrangements to be billed monthly.
Hopes this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM

I too expect payments to be made the same day as their cleaning appt, I ask that they leave it on the kitchen counter in a envelope with my biz name on it, some customers prefer to hand it to me as I'm walking out the door! NEVER clean a house and get your payment later, Too hard to trust people these days!
post #5 of Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Payment on same day as service is the norm for me. But, I clean for realtors who will send checks via USPS or leave them at their offices after the fact.

I have only been stiffed once by a regular client who was a major pain in the rear from the beginning. She was one of those who could never keep her "regular" day. "I will be in Europe...or I am sick...scheduled for surgery...blah, blah, blah...".

All were legit circumstances but when it came down to a year and a half of bi-weekly cleans and we settled down into a smooth schedule, I arrived at the house on her scheduled day (no check on the counter) and cleaned anyway. That was over a year ago and I have still not seen the check.

She said she was upset that I was in her house and she was not "AWARE" I was going to be there. Then claimed she didn't even notice that I had cleaned.

Dirty greasy stove, dust from everywhere and dog hairs, slimy jacuzzi. Yep, the Welsh Corgi cleaned for you

Seriously HUGE mansion. Furniture bigger than my truck in there imported from Germany. She has a detached building as big as my house that is a gym with exercise equipment everywhere. More money than I can ever imagine having but I cleaned for free that day and did not pursue the $$ since she is the sister of my landlord.

Been there done that for that one BUT I do have current clients that I will clean for if the check is not there. I know they will pay up.
post #6 of Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Suzi, people like that make me sooooo mad! I have one customer (not residential) on 30 day terms and she owes us $400. I have heard every story imaginable as to why she has been too busy to pay. She has been sick and at one point even went out of business so she said. Come to find out her husband owns half the convenient stores in that town. They are loaded and I can't get my money? Cheap She owns a property rental company and these properties are just gross. I worked my tail of for that money. I hired two people yesterday so now I have more time to stalk her which is what I intend to do. I will show up everyday demanding my money if I have to. I have other ways of collecting but haven't had the time to do it lately.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #7 of Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 AM

That is why I said, NEVER clean a house without payment, no matter how well you think you know someone, or they wont do it to me... You are WRONG!
post #8 of Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 AM

I arrived at a customers house on thursday, door was locked but I usually go through the back door if this is the case. The back door was locked. I called the customer and she gave me instructions to finding the key and her house alarm. I went in and saw no payment, I asked her if she wanted me to stop at her work to get payment when I was finished. She informed me she was at the beach and didn't think I was coming, I told her that I did a reminder call and left a message on her answering machine. She said that her home phone has been acting up and she didn't get it. I then asked if she wanted to reschedule. So she rescheduled for the following tuesday. I would not provide any cleaning for her. Money talks and BS walks is my motto. Yes, she probably would have paid me, but I don't trust anyone these days and it isn't like I have a huge company or anything. I'm never a no show and I always provide a reminder call, her phone didn't sound screwed up, answering machine came on a s normal. I figured she could use the extra $$ to spend at the beach. I think to a certain degree everyone tells stories. I could have trusted her to give me the $$ but, there is a small chance that I might not of got it and then I would be faced with that stress. No thanks! I know that it's business and you'll have that!
post #9 of Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM

We expect payment that day also for residential. Commercial- we always have a contract- watch your wording on a contract- make sure it says contract- we did run into some problems with someone saying it was only a proposal they signed. I will clean without payment only for someone I have worked with for awhile, and only once. We refuse to take payment before the job is done also.
post #10 of Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM

It's better to use e-mail money transfer if it's possible. I'm talking about regular customers.
post #11 of Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM

All my residentials pay me the day of service. Some leave it out and some wait till I'm walking out the door too. I have a customer who has forgotten to leave a check a couple of times but I clean anyway because I know he just forgot and he mails it right away. I did a lot of move out cleaning for an apartment complex and I am still waiting for payment, it has been about 2 months! Not sure what to do about that. Has anyone else had this prob?
post #12 of Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 PM

If you had a contract, you may be able to put a lien on the property. If you did not, you can try small claims. I would look into it ASAP, by talking with the property manager, and if they have one- their corporate office. Alot of these properties have mortgages, and alot have defaulted, if it goes into foreclosure, or worse if they bankrupt, you may be waiting awhile or you may never get paid.
post #13 of Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM

I didn't have a written contract. They paid me for the first 6 so I didn't have a problem with them. Then I do 20 more and NOTHING! I hope I am not screwed on this one!! Lesson learned I guess.
post #14 of Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean-Rite View Post
I didn't have a written contract. They paid me for the first 6 so I didn't have a problem with them. Then I do 20 more and NOTHING! I hope I am not screwed on this one!! Lesson learned I guess.

Find out what their intentions are. Seriously,there is no harm is asking some very direct questions. Doing so will lead you into the next steps you need to take.

Currently we have had one customer who decided she wasn't happy with the service and didn't pay. I will not tolerate someone taking advantage of our services and then expecting us to do it again for free (yes she literally asked us to do it again after she stiffed us the first time) and while she only owed us $75.00 I filed a small claims suit to drive the point of not stiffing our company. We won 4 times the amount plus court cost and now she is playing the card of "I don't have the money" so I'm preparing to go back to the court and file a motion to execute which will take the money right out of her bank account. Laws in PA aren't really all that great when it comes to civil cases, but with enough patience you will get what you are owed.

I think it's best for everyone to understand that we are not in business to hand away our services. No matter what the clients excuse is, business is business and we should not allow anyone, and I do mean anyone to take advantage of us. You guys break your back all day and for someone to think they don't have to pay you for your hard work, well, it's insulting. If they try to stiff you, go to the court and file the paper work. Don't waste your time chasing them down, they won't budge. 100% of the time they will show up to court, and there is no excuse they can say that will convince the judge that they didn't owe you the money for the service.....
post #15 of Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 PM

We do almost all move out cleanings for property mgmt companies now. When we have our first meeting with them they get a ton of paperwork in a neatly organized folder. Everything is spelled out for them as to what they can expect from us and what we expect from them. They are set up on 30 day terms and if they are late they are charged late fees. We have them sign a service agreement prior to the initial clean. If at anytime we do not get paid we like to have our tail covered in case we have to take legal action.

When we do have problems we sent out late notices and invoice their late fees. Each notice they get becomes more and more threatening. The first one is one that is polite and asks something to the affect of did you over look making your payment. The last one is a direct notice that if they do not pay within a certain amount of days from the date of the letter then legal action will be taken. We almost always get out money prior to having to get too drastic.

For the accounts that are behind you can also offer for them to make payment arrangements. Paying something is always better than nothing even if it isn't the full amount. However, at this point I would not do anymore work for them until their account is caught up if ever.

Hope this helps!

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #16 of Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Paid at the time of service. Cash on all first and one-time cleans. Regular clients, checks are okay after first cleaning.
post #17 of Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 AM

I wouldn't ever do a clean without cash. Even on regular customers, customers are customers not friends, Don't trust anyone!
post #18 of Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 AM

I give back to my customers in other ways, such as the loyal ones! I recently gave them 2 $5.00 off cleaning coupons, and some I give Free microwave cleanings and what nots. There is other ways to make your customers happy. They don't forget to leave money, the economy is tight so they hope you will still provide a service and then when they get paid they might or might not pay you depends on if you are a big company or individual, if you are a individual you are more at risk!
post #19 of Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Yes - I hate apartment complexes! I had that problem just a couple of months ago...6 weeks later still no pay (on a 30 day term). I was providing contract make-ready services for them and the management was unruly and they were ALWAYS late paying!!! NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I wrote a legal letter (my own wording) - charged them a $25 late payment charge - and demanded payment IMMEDIATELY. If payment was not received by (specific date) - then I would take legal action to rememdy the problem. Fortunately, they took it seriously and paid me - they just forgot to add the $25 late fee...figures! I accepted because I wasnt gonna hassle for $25....I did get what I wanted though...MY MONEY! I then reported them to the Better Business Bureau!

If you contract with Apt complex...never clean without a contract. These places are owned by idiots and nothing is more important than getting the next apt rented! They are always late in paying vendors/contractors! Just put it in writing and have them sign it. That way you can legally back yourself up if you dont get paid

Take care
post #20 of Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Credit card processor for iphone

This thread is pretty old so i guess you guys know about current credit card processing ways, i've been using SalesVu to accept cards, checks and cash from my iphone..i downloaded the app from the itunes store, but i think you can also ge it from www.salesvu.com...i received a cards reader by mail, i plugged that to my cell and started charging! easy as ABC
someone else has been using it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode