Where Do You Draw the Line? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Where Do You Draw the Line?

Hello All,

I'm new to the site and just starting my cleaning company. I was wondering where do you guys personally draw the line when cleaning a home. How far do you go in tidying personal things like papers, toys, clothing, cds and dvds, books, etc.? The kitchen and bathroom are a done deal, but what do you do with the bedrooms and living rooms where things are more personal? How far do you go in picking up after your clients? I have a test run coming up to time myself and see how effective and efficient I can manuever through a home other than my own and get the job done...but this home looks like a tornado hit it to the point of disgusting. Any suggestions?

I'm so glad I found this site. I look foward to the mutual exchange of information.

Right now, more than anything I look forward to your responses!

Thanks,
Nami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 AM

Welcome to cleaning talk Namicleans.

I think everyone has a slightly different version of where to draw the lines in terms of straightening up before cleaning. Personally I have a 5 minute rule of sorts, I tell my cleaners to take up to 5 minutes to neaten a room before they attempt to clean, if the room requires more than that amount of time they are instructed to either call the office or speak with a supervisor and seek directions as to weather or not stop or to leave a note that we plan to charge more

Hope that helps you out some
post #3 of Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM

We don't straighten out piles of clothes, papers, etc. I tell my client that in order for us to get to all the areas that need to be cleaned, they need to give us access or make way for us to clean.
I have it in writing, and I also tell them orally.

If there are a few CDs, DVDs, books, etc. - the best I will do is stack them up to give me room to clean if they're spread out over a surface; but nothing more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 PM

We don't generally tidy up for people. It is the client's responsibility to de-clutter before our arrival. For clutter bugs I charge extra, even without doing tidying it is hard to manuever around junk.
post #5 of Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 PM

how to deal with clutter

Hello all,

Setting limits when it comes to clutter is a must. The best way to deal with this for me is when we are making an initial bid, and the house has clutter, we offer two types of cleaning. Deep cleaning and clutter removal. We let the client have a choice. This works well for us because some clients are only worried about being able to walk into their house without stepping on clothing and toys. If the client wants both we charge for both services. We've also had instances where the client will tire of paying for both, and deal with the clutter themselves.

Hope this helps!

Good luck
post #6 of Old 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM

I have it bad. I will tidy up probably more than the average cleaner. I have a reputation with my clients for "redecorating their home" every time I clean it.
post #7 of Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM

With my crews we have a 5 minute rule as well. I think the clients perceive a straightened up room as "cleaner". Same goes with straight vacuum lines etc. I charge accordingly during the bid process and inform the client about this. Then of course, I have team supervisors that go out of their way for good customers. This pays off usually around the holidays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode