beware of buying a cleaning franchise - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Douglas Hicks
post #1 of Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

beware of buying a cleaning franchise

I purchase a commercial cleaning franchise.I brought a small package 3000 a month in business.At frist everthing was not to bad.My first contract was a small medicial office.Ok so the ops guy says we were holding this account for you,i say hey thats cool.Come to find out another franchise owner had it,but was getting alot of compliants.So i come into a account that was already in trouble.thats the first thing,now fast forward 4 months after that they call me and say we have a resturant 6500 month I think WOW.man thats a lot.but wait its 7 days a week and you have to do grills.well very under bid.the sales guys says oh you can do this account with 3 people.ya right... mmore like 5 workers bottom line we were there 2 weeks.and got fired.have a few more bad stories.I want to sell this franchise and start my own. So if anyone is even think about buying on send me a PM.I give you my experience and then you can decied if you still want to buy into a franchise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 PM

The name of the franchise is..............
richenvironments likes this.
post #3 of Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 AM

welcome to cleaningtalk.com 10bballer, sorry to hear that you too have had a bad experience with franchising. I have hear nothing but bad stories from many others who have stood in the same place as you before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Hicks View Post
The name of the franchise is..............
Bonus building care.....
post #5 of Old 11-25-2007, 05:24 AM

I would never let someone else sell my work. Most of those places are only a boiler room cold calling and selling accounts based on price. They all assume that ALL cleaning companies hire illegal immigrants and price accordingly. I got a call from a place that had secured an account and was looking for someone in my area to do the work. I say I'll go look at the work and give a quote. They say NO... That they already have it bid and sold at $13/man hour. My girls make $12.50/hr. WTF!!! How in the world are folks making any $$$ selling that low?

Sell your own work and stay away from a middleman that has no clue of actual cleaning.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #6 of Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Michael.. exactly. A franchise is supposed to be an operational model with support. If the OP let them sell his/her jobs, whom is at greater fault? I guess it depends upon what the franchise contract included. I own two franchises and they absolutely rock. I would love to add a couple more. Service oriented franchises would not interest me though.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #7 of Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

its not about them selling my contracts.its more about your not really a business owner.Like they want to believe... so who's at fault...ask a francise owner who has a commercial cleaning franchise.Then come back to me om who at fault.the reason I posted this was to help anyone whhom might be thinking of purching one.I would just say do your homework,ask other franchise owner whom are not with that franchise your buying.
post #8 of Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM

10b, take it as part of your business education. Unfortunately, the lessons to becoming a successful business owner are often expensive. Caveat emptor with franchises. There are bogus ones out there for sure. Franchising is proven to offer greater success for those new to business with no experience. The key to buying a franchise is to first do your research. The first question should always be "how will I get customers?" National franchises offer name recognition and large scale marketing. Other than that, its up to the individual owners to make them work.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #9 of Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 AM

Franchise cleaning companies have a lot of experience in targeting their victims (francise buyers) and they are VERY shrewd at how to play close to the letter of the law.

Some states have no monitoring for franchise operations. So it's a little harder to beware of the seller when the laws are in their favor.

So the best thing is to NEVER GO THERE. Franchise cleaning operations are 99.99% wrong for anyone and everyone.
post #10 of Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Joe for your comfirmation on the franchise. I wish I had talk to you before I got in this thing.I will try to sell mine,and start my own.
post #11 of Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM

I think so, I want to be we will have such a good luck, not just?Joe
________
red head Webcams

Last edited by flyco; 08-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.
post #12 of Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Why would you pay someone to make money anyway? If you do alot of reading on the internet you'd see that there are far more "mom and pop" cleaning companies out there and countless articles with the pro and cons of buying and operating franchises. I recommend you just start off small and part time, grow your business and reinvest a good portion of your cashflow into it to make if better. Good luck selling your franchise, I hope you can get out without losing your shirt.
post #13 of Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Your right at the time when I made.the decession to start a business,I was still working fulltime.Thanks for wishing me well,I hope can get out to without losing my shirt also.Again thanks
post #14 of Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 AM

Wow Nice thanks dear
post #15 of Old 05-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Thank you for your ? and replies. What has been said is sage advice but would like to post my 2 experiences with 2 franchises--1 local-1National Well Known.
I have had excellent service, gotten some very profitable accounts from the local Franchisor, in the process of selling an account to them. To be fair some of the accounts I bought from the Local Franchisor have been great and some have not been as great, some have gone/moved/away.Some of the accounts I purchased were close to accounts I had in service area.Why I bought that account.

The National Franchise, started with 2 accounts--1 moved & by the way they were not billing for a 2nd small office on the same location--got that fixed. The other accounts were profitable after I got a large pay increase. The promised Medical Facility Training never happened. 1 of the owners admitted that he felt $20 per hour was good enough. I gave back my last account so I am done with them. Also I felt the training was really lacking and there wasn't really anything new.
I see the franchise as an investment, I look at the cost of an account and the pay back period. If the account is $500 to buy and pays 100 a month then the pay back period is 5 months, after 5 months all profit minus franchise expenses or Cash in and Cash Out or A Cash on Cash Investment.
The downside is selling back the account to the franchisor, in my case they didn't work very hard to get a buyer for the account after several months I called it quits.
I close with this Is the Franchisor in business just to sell franchises? or are they really interested in helping you to grow your business and not just theirs?
Years ago, there was a Big Janitorial Scam going around, a company or companies were selling janitorial contracts/franchises BUT NOT DElivering on the contracts, some people lost lots of money.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #16 of Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Franchises are not worth it..they take too much of your money. I feel most people would rather support a local family owned business anyway.
post #17 of Unread Today, 01:41 PM

Hi

If you need a franchise you are not ready to do business. In most cases franchises cost a pile of cash and the return is not great. Then again, most people are lazy and they think that just paying up 100k for a franchise will make them very rich. That is not the case at all. You only buy a brand. Then you have to work your arse big time to make it work.

A good brand in the hands of lazy dude is useless.

I think there is a anti franchise feeling right now. You can just build up a website and promote your services. If you are good at what you do, you will do well without any "ready made plan"

My opinion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode