Cleaning Corners - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Corners

The previous maintenance crew at this school did an absolutely horrible job. They would "strip", not remove all of the wax, and then they would re-wax over a dirty floor. The wax yellows, and the VCT floor looks horrible.

Floors are part of the problem, but I think I can tackle them with previous experience.

The problem I'm coming across is corners--where doors meet walls, where two walls meet, etc. The area on the ground by the baseboards is filled with waxed in filth and dirt, and it gives the whole school a very ratty appearance.

I have tried baseboard stripper and other [harsh] chemicals, and although they may have helped slightly, the problem is still quite apparent. I even tried scraping the dirt off, and it will not come off of the floor without leaving stains.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM

how important is the appearnace of the floor to whoever is in charge? And I am not refering to the principle or superentendant, but the person in charge of appearance. Why spend lots of time when cost is the probably why you got the contract? Ask whoever, to do a walk through with you and do not point out your concerns, let them tell you their concerns. Make notes of what their concerns are. Remember, cheap describes schools, not quality of work.
post #3 of Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Hicks View Post
how important is the appearnace of the floor to whoever is in charge? And I am not refering to the principle or superentendant, but the person in charge of appearance. Why spend lots of time when cost is the probably why you got the contract? Ask whoever, to do a walk through with you and do not point out your concerns, let them tell you their concerns. Make notes of what their concerns are. Remember, cheap describes schools, not quality of work.
Quality is very important because many parents have complained about this issue. The new management wants the floors to appear as presentable as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM

From what I've seen................Hicks is right on. Parents might not like what they see but I'll bet they would not be prepared to spend the $$$ (tax increase) to fix it
post #5 of Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
From what I've seen................Hicks is right on. Parents might not like what they see but I'll bet they would not be prepared to spend the $$$ (tax increase) to fix it
I'm actually employed at the school. I am not a contractor. The schools maintenance budget is substantial, they had a lot of money left over from the last fiscal year. I'm sure theres enough money to buy supplies and chemicals to fix it, I just need to know how.
post #6 of Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I'm actually employed at the school. I am not a contractor. The schools maintenance budget is substantial, they had a lot of money left over from the last fiscal year. I'm sure theres enough money to buy supplies and chemicals to fix it, I just need to know how.
WOW.............
post #7 of Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Remember to make a conscious effort to sweep in the corners each time you sweep your floor.

Love mother nature? Eco Friendly Cleaning Now!
post #8 of Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 AM

The dirty corners have to be properly cleaned to avoid any damage to walls or any other fixtures. It would be best to contact an agency that should not cost much.
post #9 of Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Have you tried dryer sheets? I know that sounds crazy but it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode