Commercial Accts: Spot cleaning vs steam - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Commercial Accts: Spot cleaning vs steam

Hello Fellow Commercial Cleaners:

I continue to have customers who want us to keep their carpets clean by spot cleaning. I today's economic environment, I hate to lose accounts because I discourage spot cleaning. My experience spot cleaning takes a lot of time and won't always get the spots out. Customers don't want to pay for steam cleaning tough. How do you guys handle this and if you do spot clean, is there one product that seems to get most spots out?

Stephen Snider-ACE Janitorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM

This has become a common problem. What I say to them is that either get the staff to treat the carpet with a little more respect and stop spilling coffee and stuff on the carpet, or pay to get it steamed cleaned once every 3-6 months. It will work out cheaper for them that way than spending an hour or two a week maybe on spot cleaning the carpet. If they can't afford that much then you will find that eventually they wont be able to afford a commercial cleaning service either.
post #3 of Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Spot cleaning

You are so right, they can't afford the service in the first place and do end up stopping service. With the economy we are in, I have found competition will do just about anything to get accounts. I hope it's not that bad in Australia.

ACE Janitorial

Stephen Snider-ACE Janitorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM

oh it's bad enough here at times. here we have people with backpack vacuums coming into office buildings off the street and offer a cheap cleaning service. How do you compete with that? you can reason with the jobs that you have and say things like you only get what you pay for but sometimes it's all about the money.
post #5 of Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 AM

Spot removal technique is more important than the cleaning chemicals used. Here are some important techniques.
  • Gently scrape up solids with a spoon, working from the outside of the spot toward the center to prevent spreading.
  • Blot the spotted area with a dry white towel or paper towels. Continue blotting the area by pressing firmly with a clean portion of the toweling until there is no further transfer from the spot. Then begin use of spot remover chemicals. NOTE: Do not scrub stains. Scrubbing action can damage the fabric and spread the stain. Use blotting action.
  • Never soak upholstery. Over-wetting with cleaning solution or water will make effective cleaning difficult. Messy spills will spread, and soiled water will seep deep into the fabric, cushions and wood frame.
  • Test for color fastness: Never pour cleaning solution directly on a spot or spill. Put solution on a white towel and in an inconspicuous area, apply with a blotting action to the upholstery before attempting to remove the spot. If color from the fabric transfers to the towel, do not attempt to remove the spot. Call a professional cleaner for help.
  • Finding the color to be fast, continue blotting with the spotting solution as above.

As long as the color of the stain is transferring to the towel, you are "moving" the spot. Keep at it patiently. However, if the spill will not come out at all - do not persist. Trying many different chemicals will probably make it worse, or create a permanent stain.

Offers commercial and professional Carpet Cleaners London and Commercial Carpet Cleaning.
post #6 of Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 AM

you have summed up the spot technique in a very nice way....keep on posting....thanks anyways....
post #7 of Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM

The sheer quantity of quality and colour for carpet tiles aimed toward the public sector, commercial industries and industrial buildings is vast; we can offer guidance towards a suitable product once we have inspected the site and discussed the brief with you. We will advise on the best product suited to your budget.

flooring contractor
post #8 of Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 AM

Hey mathewl!! Your snow removal techniques are very helpful to me. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.
post #9 of Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM

I have used the Sanitaire's model SC6070 of commercial spot cleaner. It has a powerful two-stage motor and a 55 PSI pump. And it works great!!

post #10 of Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 AM

I totally agree with you, steam cleaning is a far more effective and cost efficient option. But a lot of the time people want you to treat the carpet weekly or with each visit, offering steam cleaning as an extra service is the best way to solve this problem i believe. This way it is not expected and therefore people will hire you to do this specific task.
post #11 of Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Well it’s the matter of taking this issue as per business thinking, provide a free service of steam cleaning and once the customer sees the effectiveness and time taken by you to free them they would not only make you do the service but also recommend you to many people. If possible gives a discount on reason being current offer or old customer; your work will definitely be praised for steam cleaning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode