Commercial Floor Maintenance - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-12-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Commercial Floor Maintenance

Hello all,

I am the co-owner of a Commercial/Residential cleaning company. Recently a commercial client asked if we offered floor buffing. The area she wanted done was under 1,000/sq. ft of VCT flooring. I did some homework and rented a 17" 350 RPM floor buffer and bought a cleaner/stripper solution and a sealant/wax combination. We dust/mopped the area, stripped the remaining wax and scrubbed it with the floor buffer using a neutral pH floor cleaner on the green pad. We then applied the sealant/wax combination manually with a mop. All in all it was a relatively painless procedure and considerably more lucrative then simply cleaning the office which we preformed after wards. I called around to get some quotes as to what to charge and I was told .50-.60/sq. ft was industry standard for stripping/waxing. We ended up charging .40/sq. ft. for the whole job.

I would love to branch off into floor maintenance as it pays more, is more rewarding and not as subjective as residential cleaning (too many customers are insatiable). I have bids on 3 larger commercial jobs, all of which are grocery stores in the 20,000 sq.ft range. Any idea on what type of equipment I'll need? The previous floor crews at 2 of the jobs used encore floor scrubbers followed by aztec floor propane fed floor buffers. If I went in with a floor scrubber and a 20" sub 1000 RPM rented electrical cord fed buffer will I be in over my head?

Looking for what you kinds folks typically would charge for a larger commercial job like this, I can't do a sq.ft charge and expect to be competitive... all three jobs would like to be done on a weekly basis with what I would guess to be a clean and burnish? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllCleanTeam View Post
Hello all,

I am the co-owner of a Commercial/Residential cleaning company. Recently a commercial client asked if we offered floor buffing. The area she wanted done was under 1,000/sq. ft of VCT flooring. I did some homework and rented a 17" 350 RPM floor buffer and bought a cleaner/stripper solution and a sealant/wax combination. We dust/mopped the area, stripped the remaining wax and scrubbed it with the floor buffer using a neutral pH floor cleaner on the green pad. We then applied the sealant/wax combination manually with a mop. All in all it was a relatively painless procedure and considerably more lucrative then simply cleaning the office which we preformed after wards. I called around to get some quotes as to what to charge and I was told .50-.60/sq. ft was industry standard for stripping/waxing. We ended up charging .40/sq. ft. for the whole job.

I would love to branch off into floor maintenance as it pays more, is more rewarding and not as subjective as residential cleaning (too many customers are insatiable). I have bids on 3 larger commercial jobs, all of which are grocery stores in the 20,000 sq.ft range. Any idea on what type of equipment I'll need? The previous floor crews at 2 of the jobs used encore floor scrubbers followed by aztec floor propane fed floor buffers. If I went in with a floor scrubber and a 20" sub 1000 RPM rented electrical cord fed buffer will I be in over my head?

Looking for what you kinds folks typically would charge for a larger commercial job like this, I can't do a sq.ft charge and expect to be competitive... all three jobs would like to be done on a weekly basis with what I would guess to be a clean and burnish? Any suggestions?

As far as equipment and staff goes, you would need a few guys each location to strip and wax.

As far as equipment goes, you would need a propane burnisher minimum 21" for each location in addition to an auto scrubber minimum 26" for each location. The auto scrubber would need strip capabilities so it needs a minimum of 100 pounds of pressure.

You are talking a lot of money in equipment. The auto scrubbers will be at least $6,500 each and the propane burnishers will be at least $2,000 each. Sorry for the bad news.

Do not think you can pull off the jobs in question with an electric buffer. You will crash and burn.
post #3 of Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclean View Post
As far as equipment and staff goes, you would need a few guys each location to strip and wax.

As far as equipment goes, you would need a propane burnisher minimum 21" for each location in addition to an auto scrubber minimum 26" for each location. The auto scrubber would need strip capabilities so it needs a minimum of 100 pounds of pressure.

You are talking a lot of money in equipment. The auto scrubbers will be at least $6,500 each and the propane burnishers will be at least $2,000 each. Sorry for the bad news.

Do not think you can pull off the jobs in question with an electric buffer. You will crash and burn.
Out of the three commercial jobs, I've heard back from one owner who wants the service done. I have no problem leasing and/or financing the equipment if I can get the work to warrant paying for it. It just seems like the capabilities of a burnisher are rather limited... This store owner has an encore autoscrubber that he uses as part of his daily maintenance. If I were to use his scrubber, would I be able to forgo a burnisher (at least for the time being) considering he wants to start with a strip and wax? The store in question is 15,000 sq. ft. I charged him roughly $400, that's without the price of chemicals which I will add when I get more specifics from him. I can easily acquire lower RPM 175-350 RPM floor buffers, but I'm still pricing out more serious equipment. Can I get the job done with the aforementioned setup or do I need the burnisher?

Last edited by TheAllCleanTeam; 07-28-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Out of the three commercial jobs, I've heard back from one owner who wants the service done. I have no problem leasing and/or financing the equipment if I can get the work to warrant paying for it. It just seems like the capabilities of a burnisher are rather limited... This store owner has an encore autoscrubber that he uses as part of his daily maintenance. If I were to use his scrubber, would I be able to forgo a burnisher (at least for the time being) considering he wants to start with a strip and wax? The store in question is 15,000 sq. ft. I charged him roughly $400, that's without the price of chemicals which I will add when I get more specifics from him. I can easily acquire lower RPM 175-350 RPM floor buffers, but I'm still pricing out more serious equipment. Can I get the job done with the aforementioned setup or do I need the burnisher?

propane burnishers are like you said "limited"
all they do is high speed burnishing.
you do not need one until you first scheduled floor polishing.
You really can not high speed polish without one though.
It is sort of like a philips head screw driver. If you are a carpenter you may not use one all the time but when you need one, there really is no substitute.

as far as using the owners auto scrubber. as long as it has strip capabilities (able to apply 100 pounds of pressure or more) I say go for it. don't put the stip solution in the machine. apply it to the floor with a mop and bucket and use the auto scrubber to scrub (with a black thin pad) and rinse at the same time. it will save you a great deal of time.

as far as the $400, i am not sure where you live but you might have sold yourself short a bit. That is not even 3 cents per sq. ft.
post #5 of Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
propane burnishers are like you said "limited"
all they do is high speed burnishing.
you do not need one until you first scheduled floor polishing.
You really can not high speed polish without one though.
It is sort of like a philips head screw driver. If you are a carpenter you may not use one all the time but when you need one, there really is no substitute.

as far as using the owners auto scrubber. as long as it has strip capabilities (able to apply 100 pounds of pressure or more) I say go for it. don't put the stip solution in the machine. apply it to the floor with a mop and bucket and use the auto scrubber to scrub (with a black thin pad) and rinse at the same time. it will save you a great deal of time.

as far as the $400, i am not sure where you live but you might have sold yourself short a bit. That is not even 3 cents per sq. ft.
So, if I were to manually spread the stripper, I can go over it with the auto scrubber. Then I can proceed to start adding the coats of wax.. do you use self sealing non buffing wax, or the type that require bufing?

What would you have charged a grocery store with 15,200 sq ft for a strip and wax? I was going to charge extra per coat of wax, so he can determine how many coats he wants. I've heard 10 is recommended for a grocery store.
post #6 of Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
So, if I were to manually spread the stripper, I can go over it with the auto scrubber. Then I can proceed to start adding the coats of wax.. do you use self sealing non buffing wax, or the type that require bufing?

What would you have charged a grocery store with 15,200 sq ft for a strip and wax? I was going to charge extra per coat of wax, so he can determine how many coats he wants. I've heard 10 is recommended for a grocery store.

Process - Fill the auto scrubber with water. apply the diluted stripper to the floor area, let sit for a few minutes, start the auto scrubber, go over the area with the auto scrubber. You will be stripping the floor, scrubbing the floor, and rinsing the floor all at the same time. Once it dries, apply the wax.

Wax - This is really up to the store owner. i suggest a much more durable wax sometimes called "checkout wax." It is not as shiney but is far more repairable. It would need less maintenance. I use Butcher's Products whenever posible.

Rates - i do not do jobs that large. i am a one man operation and do not do floors larger than 5,000 sq. ft. i did spend thousands hiring and training people a few years back. once their training was over and it was time to work, they would never show up. it was a waste of money. good help is imposible to find.

i would think .05 cents per square foot minimum on the labor not including chemicals.

Coats - I have never heard of using 10 coats. The most I have ever heard of is 7. You will find most use 5 in the high traffic areas and 4 in the low traffic areas.

NOTE: You might want to ask the store owner if it is ok to suck up stripper with his auto scrubber. It might really piss him off. In a show of good faith you should rinse the hell out of it when you are done.

If I were to do something this size I would want $1,000-$1,500 for the whole job.

$750-$1,250 for labor
$250 chemicals

The best way to save yourself on this is to tell him $100 per coat...5 coats

You will pull in $900 total w/ labor and coats of wax.

good luck!
post #7 of Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 PM

The All Clean Team

How did the job go?

Was it too big to do in 1 night?
post #8 of Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The All Clean Team

How did the job go?

Was it too big to do in 1 night?
The store owner wanted the high traffic areas (entrance, service counter, checkout lanes) to be stripped and waxed. These areas accounted for about 1/3 of the store or about 5,000 sq. ft. He wanted a top scrub/recoat on the remainder of the store, which was over 10,000 sq. ft.

The first night, three of us top scrubbed the floor with an auto scrubber and reapplied wax manually with 3 mops. The second night two of us stripped the wax off the front of the store, scrubbed the areas to be waxed with a 20" floor buffer and applied 5 coats of high gloss wax.

First night was 3 hours and the second was about 6 hours. His final bill was $592 (discounted for use of his auto scrubber).

After

Before

Last edited by TheAllCleanTeam; 08-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.
post #9 of Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The store owner wanted the high traffic areas (entrance, service counter, checkout lanes) to be stripped and waxed. These areas accounted for about 1/3 of the store or about 5,000 sq. ft. He wanted a top scrub/recoat on the remainder of the store, which was over 10,000 sq. ft.

The first night, three of us top scrubbed the floor with an auto scrubber and reapplied wax manually with 3 mops. The second night two of us stripped the wax off the front of the store, scrubbed the areas to be waxed with a 20" floor buffer and applied 5 coats of high gloss wax.

First night was 3 hours and the second was about 6 hours. His final bill was $592 (discounted for use of his auto scrubber).

After

Before

i am glad it worked out for you. $592 minus employees and chemicals didn't leave a whole lot left but you got the experience of doing a place that large which will prove to be priceless as time goes on.
post #10 of Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i am glad it worked out for you. $592 minus employees and chemicals didn't leave a whole lot left but you got the experience of doing a place that large which will prove to be priceless as time goes on.
I spent around $200 in labor and chemicals. So the $400 for 9 hours of work was not bad. The experience however, was invaluable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode