Construction Cleanup - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By bdjanitorial
  • 1 Post By bdjanitorial
  • 1 Post By Peter123
  • 1 Post By Bradfish
  • 1 Post By profcleaning
  • 1 Post By shannon-22
  • 1 Post By Sta-Clean
  • 1 Post By bdjanitorial
  • 1 Post By profcleaning

post #1 of Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
gcs

Construction Cleanup

Hi

We've been called upon to provide a bid for a construction cleanup. It will include post, final and touch up services and afterwards recurring cleaning services 2-3 times a month.

This will be my first construction job on my own and honestly its been a minute since I've done one of these. Oh, and I have never done this big a job. Its a family ranch w/14 bedrooms, adjoing bathrooms for every 2 bdrms, 2 game rooms/bars, glass, glass & more glass Solid real wood floors, tile in entry/bathrooms etc.....REALLLY NICE & REALLY BIG & I'm absolutely stoked about the opportunity! I'd almost spend the week there just cleaning it to see the finished results. I love cleaning though

Anyhow, I'm just looking for others that have experience with construction cleanup. So.....any advice you could share would be helpful, I'm sure! I do realize the detailed work ahead of me, I recall it very well but I'm a very detailed person and so its not a problem for me. I'm just wondering if there are new and improved ways of doing things on this side of the fence? For this specific type of job what is your PRIZE piece of equipment that you just couldn't do without?

I would love to hear the methods you've used for removing all the dust goodness and there's a LOT of dust . I think this is going to be the area I struggle most in. Oh, and the PM told me she uses Bona for the solid REAL wood floors, these floors are not laminated planked etc they are the real deal, stained, sealed and finished and I want very much to see those beauties all nice and clean. Anyhow, I've never used Bona because some reviews I read said it leaves a haze. Opinions on that product? What do you use? Murphys oil? Simply water/vinegar light wash? What would you recommend to remove the dust and maintain this type of floor?

Anyhow, thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-09-2018, 03:52 PM

GCS... I would get a backpack vacuum--1st choice, 2nd choice would be a canister type of vacuum. Go to www.centecsystems.com/ they sell all kinds of vacuum attachments, brushes, wands etc.
The backpack vacuum is a straight thru suction no beater bar like an upright vacuum that can jam if you vac up nails, wiring, plaster chunks. Start high, vac blinds, shelves etc then vac the flooring. You might want to do a walk thru with a bag or can to pickup the big stuff. Buy lots of vac bags & change them often. Consider vacuuming the walls depending on the dust level. Maybe get a 75ft cord also so you don't have to plugin/out as often.
If the floor dust is really bad, you may have to pre sweep it up and then vacuum, use a floor squeegee to push the dust into pickup piles.
Brad BD Janitorial....just 1 opinion
gcs likes this.
post #3 of Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
gcs

Hi I'm heading to the city tomorrow to a few jani supply stores to see about buying a light weight backpack vac. I don't have time to wait for one to be mailed to me. I do have a tornado but its way to heavy for me so I'm hoping to find one that isn't so darn heavy.

Do you have experience in construction cleanup estimating/bidding? If so, could you share your format? I keep looking at my format thinking I'm missing something. Also, I converted my Make Ready Deep Clean Checklist to a Final Construction Clean Checklist. Its detailed and targets specific area's so I'm not stuck removing grout from tiles and layers of paint from windows. I'm just stuck because I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something. I've researched on google but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM

GCS.. good luck with vacuum hunting. The Super Coach Pro is pretty light weight, I have the 6 qt so not sure how much heavier the 10 qt would be. Bidding, most of the construction clean up I do is for a property manager, so most of the clean up is sheet rock dust, nails, leftover trash, some chunks of mortar/plaster/sheet rock mud. I give them a figure and most of the time they accept it. 1x I did go back to them and ask for more $$ as I had to hire 2 other people for the job. I don't get to see the job or I don't drive over there to look at the job before bidding, but I will tell them if the job takes longer that I may go over the bid amount.
Bid: depending on the sq ft:
1/2 hour-1 hour for trash pickup
1/2 hour for dust removal--blinds, high shelves,ceiling light fixtures etc
1-2 hours vacuuming, stopping to change paper bags, shake out inner shaker bag--Remember vacuum suction lessens as bag gets full
Window scraping & cleaning $______ per window inside & outside --- if you do windows, do them before vacuuming.
Brad BD Janitorial...the above is just 1 guy's opinion,
gcs likes this.
post #5 of Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 PM

I'm anxious in hearing how you decide to proceed. I'm adding this comment so I can follow this thread.
gcs likes this.
post #6 of Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Keep us updated, sounds like a very exciting job!
gcs likes this.

Have a mold problem? Check out my blog: LookMold.com

Most popular cleaning post: Does Bleach Kill Mold? 🤔 Donít Make This Simple Mistake! (2018)
post #7 of Old 08-18-2018, 09:18 AM

Don't use vinegar on wood it's 5% acid!!!

Almost any type of wood floor cleaner is going to leave a haze.

You want to vacuum really well first (make sure your vacuum cleaner is not scratching the floor finish)

Step one:vacuum really well
Step two: Then working in smaller areas using Murphys oil soap or bona and clean the floor using a new flat mop. (not a mop you have used to clean tile floors with)
Step three: dry the floor as you go.This will stop streaks and prevent the hazing.

How to price out construction cleaning
gcs likes this.
post #8 of Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 PM

The dust can be so bad!
gcs likes this.

House cleaner at Heavenly Homes Cleaning in Guelph, Ontario
post #9 of Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

[quote=profcleaning;164929]Don't use vinegar on wood it's 5% acid!!!

Almost any type of wood floor cleaner is going to leave a haze.

You want to vacuum really well first (make sure your vacuum cleaner is not scratching the floor finish)

Step one:vacuum really well
Step two: Then working in smaller areas using Murphys oil soap or bona and clean the floor using a new flat mop. (not a mop you have used to clean tile floors with)
Step three: dry the floor as you go.This will stop streaks and prevent the hazing.

Hey,

Thanks for your info..,it is very informative.
gcs likes this.
post #10 of Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM

I use Murphy's Oil Soap on a finished/sealed wood plank floor and it looks pretty good. I don't notice any hazing. One of my new customers suggested using a floor cleaner from HollowayHouse, which can be used on wood floors according to the label.
Brad BD Janitorial
gcs likes this.
post #11 of Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Wood floors haze the most when they are on a construction cleaning.There's dust in the air, drywall dust has been scattered around as has concrete dust.It's tough to get it all vacuumed up even though it may look like you have. Which is why you want to dry it as you are mopping as it will control the hazing that wants to reappear.

We use Murphy's Oil soap.
gcs likes this.
post #12 of Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
gcs

In fact it was! This place was amazing It's actually owned by the daughter of the Folgers family and her husband owns some sort of life insurance company and they are FANTASTIC people! I will figure out how to post pics here so you all can see this place. It beyond words, truly it is.
post #13 of Old 10-07-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
gcs

Actually, I spoke with my nephew, he works for a flooring company and he said don't use any chemicals. Use a shop vac & several microfiber dust mops and very lightly dampen it AFTER all vacuum has been performed, just enough to clean the floor not leaving it wet at all. Afterwards, take a clean microfiber flat mop and go over the floor again to ensure its free of any wetness and dirt and continue this process until the mop head shows no signs of dirt. This is the process I followed and it worked & the customer loves it. I've been back several times and no haze If she wants to add anything other than this she must do it herself and she is perfectly fine with that. These floors are BEAUTIFUL so I would not want to be responsible for damaging them I will post some pics soon.
post #14 of Old 10-07-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
gcs

OMG it was TERRIBLE! The dust removal alone took us 3 days it was insane but such a major sense of accomplishment I absolutely love doing this sort of work
post #15 of Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
gcs

Hey Brad I did go with your suggestion to clean those windows before I vacuumed. Good darn thing I did. Even so the owner wants me to come back next week to do a touch up which will include more vacuuming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode