Did I bid too high? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Did I bid too high?

I just sent a proposal for a commercial job cleaning a gym. If they decide to have us clean 6 days per week, the price would be around $6k per month. I'm worried this may be too high.

I have a general idea of how much the gym brings in each month, and this price is about 8% of their monthly revenue. Also, I couldn't just charge per square foot, because some of the tasks are more time-consuming compared to a regular office cleaning. Also, the gym uses specific cleaning supplies that they would like us to use, which is a little pricier than what I normally supply.

The hourly rate I calculated was about $22 per hour, with the recommended cleaning schedule taking about 60 labor hours per week. After all expenses, and any discounts the gym and my company agree to, my profit margin will be about 20%; with no discounts, 30%. The building is 14k square feet, but we have to use special products on the floors (3 types of flooring), remove cobwebs and dust vents (which will require a 14 ft. ladder), clean the equipment and front lobby, clean all the interior windows and mirrors, and scrub the bathrooms and locker rooms. I broke the price points for each task, upon their request, too, so they have an idea of what it will cost to get what they want done. If I charged just per square foot, I would lose money on the job, or have to charge a ridiculous rate for the size of the building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM

In my area your description of the gym and work to be performed sounds like a typical Retro Fitness or Gold's Gym. Average cleaning price for 6 x per week is $1,800 - $2,000 per month. They are all cheap and can always find someone to clean at this price. We maintain high ceiling vents and dust on rafters at these clubs and only need an extension pole, no ladders.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #3 of Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll settle on somewhere in that price range. I just outlined every service, as if we would be deep-cleaning the entire place every night. I'm pretty sure they won't need everything deep-cleaned daily. When we met, the owner mentioned that he wouldn't need us to vacuum some areas every day, one gym is being remodeled right now, and he would only need the windows cleaned, cobwebs/vents, and dusting once per week. Some of the services are as low as $4, some (like the cleaning the locker rooms) are $50. When I came for the estimate, he mentioned a lot of things won't need to be done every night. I just sent him a proposal with the "worst-case scenario" (as in, he and his staff would do no cleaning), and listed the prices so he can decide what he needs. Was that a terrible idea? Will he just see the quote (before the price breakdown) and think "nope"? Meh, I guess I'll find out this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Nothing wrong with your thinking or wanting to do a thorough job for them but I don't think that they would have the budget to do what you proposed. I would definitely come in high and lower if needed. It's possible to push towards the $2,500.00 per month level but most I dealt with don't have that budget. That's why I no longer target gyms for cleaning.
Good luck and let us know what happens?
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #5 of Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Will do. Yes, I explained in the email and the proposal it absolutely the highest. I'll probably have to re-work the pricing on the bathrooms and locker rooms, because I just priced them as a deep-clean (most expensive), like scrubbing the walls kind of clean, haha.
post #6 of Old 09-02-2015, 04:27 AM

No there is no such kind of thing.Just concentrate on your work.
post #7 of Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 AM

i think the 6 x per week is $1,800 - $2,000 per month price range sound reasonable , but you just have to factor in your costs. I normally add 50% of my overall expenses as my profit. But that me

Tags
commercial cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode